• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Last night was an (almost) all-vegetable dinner:

Asparagus (green) roasted in the cast-iron skillet (covered briefly, so they came out a touch smoky as well)

Beet greens, braised, with ginger and garlic added at the end

Roasted beets, sliced and topped with diced feta cheese

Salad, of course

Leftover Zeitgeist Zweigelt to drink

Tonight, fresh salad (always!) but leftover posole from the freezer, made with Mangalitsa pork shoulder, RG hominy (but of course!), and kale. Garnished with cilantro, pickled ramps (homemade two years ago), salsa verde (homemade somewhat more recently), pickled jalapeños (bought), RG Mexican oregano, merken pepper, and cumin seeds. Sierra Nevada Torpedo to drink.

Those of you who were part of the food discussion boards back in the day may well remember a number of meals held at Tayyabs in Whitechapel.

One meal in particular is memorable for the presentation of dishes of Raan, slow roasted lamb legs that had been marinated in yoghurt and spices. Although that meal was nearly a decade ago, I can still recall the scents and sights of half a dozen fine specimens being placed on tables in front of the fifty or so guests.

I have been chatting on and off with Wasim, the owner of Tayyabs about the possibility of a book of Pakistani recipes and I asked him if he would mind sharing his raan recipe so I could give it a go.

The leg of lamb was marinated over night in a mixture of whole milk yoghurt, mint, fresh green chili, ginger, garlic, freshly ground garam masala and chili powder and then roasted for two hours under foil and a further thirty minutes uncovered to give it some colour.

Turned out quite well. I served it with my usual sides for Indian style meats; a hot dipping sauce made of cilantro, mint, chilies, lime juice & zest, ginger garlic and yoghurt as well as a raita of yoghurt, cucumber and mint.

7168866990_b8e2a870c3_z.jpg

13 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

7168868890_948ef285f6_z.jpg

14 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

Did everyone else think yesterday was tuesday? Arrived home last night to find out a friend was coming to dinner. It was 630, she was arriving at 7. I had fortunately purchased food for dinner so, we just made more. Originally, I was making salmon steaks and some mussel dish but, there was not enough salmon to serve as steaks. We made a quick salmon ravioli. Grilled the salmon, pulled it, wrung in a towel to dry, mixed with a little egg and some goat cheese.

7170728946_e75d21539c.jpg

7170729246_6b7998dcf6_n.jpg 7170729602_ceb23a087f_n.jpg

Served in a lemon butter sauce, dot of sour cream, with onions for crunch:

Kept the salmon meaty and the pasta dough thin. Really a dot of goat cheese. It was pretty damn good.

7170730248_3441d60aa5.jpg

Cleaned out the fridge, we had spinach, diced carrot, a little bacon and some left over wine. I arrange the mussels in the bowl on the half shell while the sauce was reducing.

Here is the shot prior to saucing:

7170729840_81013e0f04.jpg

Here is my wife's ocd in action:

7170730056_d03070dac9.jpg

First course steak tartare

Second course- scallop cooked in it's shell with a cube of bacon and a soy butter sauce topped with crispy shallot jelly.

Third Course- soft shell crab cooked in butter, served over fried goat cheese ravioli with pickled ginger beets.

Fourth Course- fried sweetbreads with cauliflower, uni flan topped with uni, sauce gribiche and pickled peppers.

Fifth Course- Sliced duck breast with grilled pineapple, seared foie gras and a cherry demi glace.

Last Course-chomeur pudding with a marscapone lemon granita.

Some shots I took from the bite club dinner:

Here is a tray of live soft shell crabs. They were still moving around when i opened the container. you have to cut the eyes out, remove the gills, it's a lovely process:

7165920086_7ac92ed5c8.jpg

Uni: Later became a flan

7165919344_59e1286405.jpg

Fried Goat Cheese Ravioli

7165925438_d6d032d728.jpg

These were the Maple Puddings: Later to be topped with the marscapone and lemon granita.

7165917516_3458f9807a.jpg

7165923190_ba220f48db.jpg

A duck liver:

7165918502_03ac164c72.jpg

Beginning of a demi: Later became a cherry sauce

7165909416_923ceaa449.jpg

7165910304_547f2f4a75.jpg

Duck breastasis:

7165921426_cff0760536.jpg

Bacon for the scallops:

7165922478_c18491f689.jpg

Last night we got a beautiful halibut filet from University Seafood. Paul brushed it with walnut oil and seasoned it with salt and pepper and then grilled it. I made the Lark farro dish with farro, mushrooms and green beans then tossed with mascarpone and chives. It was fantastic.

It was our book club last night - which means everyone brings a dish. The book takes place in Iowa so our food theme was foods from the Midwest. I wanted to do something with corn and I had leftover farro from the night before so I made a farro and corn salad.

It was our book club last night - which means everyone brings a dish. The book takes place in Iowa so our food theme was foods from the Midwest. I wanted to do something with corn and I had leftover farro from the night before so I made a farro and corn salad.

you missed the opportunity to break out the fried butter and funnel cakes

Or the pork cutlet.

Or the pork cutlet.

I'm trying to eat healthier after reading the too-fat-to-fly thread!

i purchased a box of panko tonight. not normally something i ever use. made roasted clams with panko,lemon, olive oil, parsley and bacon. also made skate brushed with mustard then covered in panko and sautéed in butter,.steamed kale.

dinner was 13 dollars for a pound and half of skate, a box of panko, a dozen clams and a 3 lemons.

Tacos:

• Grilled swordfish
  • Whole-wheat flour and corn tortillas
  • Mashed avocado with chipotle and garlic
  • Pickled ramps
  • Cilantro
  • Salsa verde
  • Pomegranate seeds
  • Sedum leaves

Red chard

Salad with oregano vinaigrette

Righteous Rye beer