• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

lippy, that pasta looks soooooo good.

i had chocolate & espresso pots de creme garnished with fresh blackberries for dinner

Thanks! This is the easiest pasta to make. See the post under EGGS for the method. There's gluten, though.

I looked in The Silver Spoon Cookbook for ways to cook a whole porgy we got at Mitsuwa, and found a nice baked porgy recipe. Bake the porgy with sliced onions, tomatoes (grape tomatoes in my case), lemon slices, white wine, olive oil and S&P for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees, and garnish with fresh parsley and thyme or lemon thyme just before serving. I added chunks of parboiled red potatoes to the baking dish before I put it in the oven. A nice, light meal for a summer day.

Turkey Thai thigh curry, yippee yay, yippee yay.

cubed boned-out turkey thigh from DiPaolo at the Tribeca Greenmarket

with yellow curry paste, a small can of coconut milk, and lots of water from steaming vegetables

chopped cilantro

carrot chunks

zucchini chunks (added at the last minute so they stayed crisp)

peas (all right, frozen:blush:)

Served over jasmine rice.

Salad with Thai basil vinaigrette

Moretti Red to drink.

I had bruschetta with broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic. Post a vet's visit on Saturday at which the doctor OKed feeding LouLou the people food she craves in order to fatten her up, Miss L had a quarter of a burger of grass fed beef from WF. Raw, which is how she prefers it.

This crispy tofu and asparagus from Lottie & Doof. Instead of frying, I laid the tofu on a parchment-lined sheet pan and baked for 15 minutes per side at 375°. For the sauce, I adapted the banh xeo sauce from Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty:

2 tsp grated fresh ginger

1 tbsp sambal oelek

1 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tbsp rice wine vinegar

1 tbsp sweet soy sauce (ketjap manis)

1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil

Whisk together the first 6 ingredients, then whisk in the oil a little at a time, as though you were making a vinaigrette.

Not quite virtuous, but crazily delicious.

Unfortunately, i think i forgot how to cook. I think I have been "turned" by the Chinese a la Jacques Bauer. The last two nights, i started out trying to cook something and ended up eating chinese food. I made scallops in the shell last night and some sort of live fish from the market. They took the fish out of the tank, whacked it on the head and moments later, it was still flipping it's tail on my counter. It was extra creepy because the fish had been scaled and gutted.

The scallops, I made a soy butter garlic sauce then added a little jarred xo sauce. I then was steaming the fish and totally came to my senses. I went and added the regular herbs from the garden but, it was too late and it ended up being some weird hybrid. I was out of soy sauce and used the wrong vinegar and the thing tasted terrible.. Not to mention, the fish was one of those thin fish that are almost all bones. The meat clings really close to the sharp, long, curved skeleton. It's an ordeal getting more than a few bits at a time. Yielding less than a large blue crab. There is barely any tail meat to speak of. I was standing next to this woman at the counter when I watched her fish be taken out, whacked and clobbered. I asked her about it and in an accent she only said, very small bones, very boney. But the meat is so sweet, so delicious. It was about a pound even though, I asked for two elbows. But it's like asking your bartender for one of those Ramos Gin Fizz's. After watching the guy break his neck for 10 minutes, it's hard to ask for that next round.

In addition to whatever the heck was going on above, i made one of miss k's favorite meals. I could not mess up her dinner as it has been conditioned into me through years of trial and error. A 1/2 pound of salmon filet. she likes to eat her salmon in a way that leaves the bottom skin so crispy, you can peel it off in one motion. She tosses the skin and eats the salmon. But she would like the salmon skin to be cooked nicely. I placed the floured steak, skin side down in a buttered pan with grape seed oil. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes, then placed in a 350 oven that I switch from bake to convection roast and knocked it up to 375. took it out and put it back on the stove and browned the top for 2 minutes. added some lemon. butter then salt. Served with mashed potatoes. Boiled in salt water, riced, butter, cream, salt, sometimes parm.

It's been a while, yes?

Some meals over the past few days...

7299887222_b7af69bc7b_z.jpg

Sheep's milk ricotta gnocchi with Greenmarket spinach, crimini mushrooms and baby peas

7300122918_f330222fe4_z.jpg

Celery "pasta" and heirloom tomato salad

7306151334_536349e312_z.jpg

Zucchini "pasta" with heirloom tomatoes, shallots and herbs

7312516350_c940999ccf_z.jpg

Rock shrimp, bluefoot mushrooms, asparagus

7324142078_b92784e0cc_z.jpg

Spiced rock shrimp, heirloom tomatoes

7341005308_6972b9bf67_z.jpg

An attempt (the first of what will probably be many attempts) at homemade bread, from scratch

I don't think your local bakery has anything to fear from me. LOL.

7160288623_16660b2299_z.jpg

Tomato and bread salad

7155801439_6d2fe29519_z.jpg

Fried paneer cheese, with spiced tomato sauce and green Persian raisins

Made a smoked salmon and herb frittata.. Served with creme fraiche and caviar. Also some pickled peppers on the side. Then made pork and liverwurst agnolotti with sage and butter sauce from the garden. I had ground pork from the pig we purchased and this liver spread that was purchased at another farm where we bought this 120 pig from a recent wedding we catered. A good match. Cooked with onions and a little white wine. added a couple of eggs and some parm.

I had braised this pork shin in tomato and wine sauce for about a day. Served this over polenta with a deep fried pork rib on the side.

Really good dinner. The agnolotti were so light, despite the ingredients.