• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

You DID that? Yourself? At home?

I worship you.

:blush: Oh go on... Seriously... :lol:

Ex-wife's recipe:

Massaman Lamb Curry

4 tbsp vegetable oil

1-1/2 lbs lamb, 1-inch long, thin slices

4 cups coconut milk

3 tbsp Massaman curry paste (see below)

4 small, white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces

2 onions, sliced

1/2 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped

2 tbsp brown sugar

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir-fry lamb for about 5 minutes, then add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until lamb is tender, about 15 minutes.

In another small pan, over medium heat, fry curry paste (see below) and 1 cup liquid from large skillet; mix well. Stir paste mixture into meat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour into a serving bowl and serve with rice.

Massaman Curry Paste

(makes about 1/3 cup)

10 large dried chilies, soaked in water for 20 minutes

8 garlic cloves, chopped fine

1 tsp galangal, finely chopped

1 tsp caraway seeds

2 small lemongrass stalk, chopped fine

6 whole cloves

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground nutmeg

2 tbsp vegetable oil

6 cardamom pods

4 bay leaves

1 tsp shrimp paste

Mince chilies; remove seeds if you want. Brown garlic in a dry skillet over low heat, about 3 minutes. Add seeded and minced chilies and stirfry for 3 minutes. Be careful not to burn.

Transfer to a food processor and add galangal, caraway seeds, lemongrass, cloves, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Grind to form a paste.

Heat oil over low heat then add remaining ingredients and cook for 2 minutes. Add prepared paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Store in an air-tight container. Remove cardamom pods and bay leaves before using.

* Note: Original recipe had 3 tbsp fish sauce added to the first stir fry. I omitted it because it smells putrid and would stink up the house for days.

saw some pork belly at WF...braised it with five-spice...served over rice with baby bok-choy in garlic, soy and ponzu....turned out really well if slightly oily....

I bet pork belly would do really well in a slow cooker actually...need to try that.

I worship you.

Ex-wife's recipe:

Massaman Lamb Curry

4 tbsp vegetable oil

4 cups coconut milk

2 onions, sliced

2 tbsp brown sugar

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir-fry lamb for about 5 minutes, then add coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until lamb is tender, about 15 minutes.

In another small pan, over medium heat, fry curry paste (see below) and 1 cup liquid from large skillet; mix well. Stir paste mixture into meat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour into a serving bowl and serve with rice.

Massaman Curry Paste

(makes about 1/3 cup)

1 tsp caraway seeds

6 whole cloves

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground nutmeg

2 tbsp vegetable oil

6 cardamom pods

4 bay leaves

1 tsp shrimp paste

Mince chilies; remove seeds if you want. Brown garlic in a dry skillet over low heat, about 3 minutes. Add seeded and minced chilies and stirfry for 3 minutes. Be careful not to burn.

Transfer to a food processor and add galangal, caraway seeds, lemongrass, cloves, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Grind to form a paste.

Heat oil over low heat then add remaining ingredients and cook for 2 minutes. Add prepared paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring well. Store in an air-tight container. Remove cardamom pods and bay leaves before using.

* Note: Original recipe had 3 tbsp fish sauce added to the first stir fry. I omitted it because it smells putrid and would stink up the house for days.

the amazing thing is that you made the paste....I think even almost all Thai restaurants use the Nam Ploy shortcut

hot weather, no air conditioning.

yesterday, cool avocado soup with ceviche and fried tortilla chips.

today* salt and pepper squid (ma la ooh la la) with cucumber salad and a big fat weissbier.

*preceded by chinese-style stir fried tomato egg that I shared with the baby.

A somewhat pink meal -

Raspberry borscht. Found the recipe in a old cookbook and thought it sounding intriguing. Sweet and fruity on the start but earthy on the finish. And actually fairly tart from all the lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Blovie was expecting the worst, but enjoyed it.

An assortment of sauteed summer squash with rotini

Sour cherry soup. Good I love this stuff.

More info, please. Is that beet borscht with raspberries?

It is. Recipe is as follows:

2 lbs beets

1 pint raspberries

1/4 cup minced red onion

1/2 cup + 2tbs lemon juice

3 tbs balsamic

1/4 cup sugar

boil beets in enough water to cover until a knife easily pierces them. Let beets cool, peel and cut into large dice. Save the cooking liquid.

Combine beets, raspberries, onion and 2 cups of cooking liquid and puree in batches in a blender. You may need to add additional cooking liquid if it's too thick. Add 1/2 cup lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and 3 tbs of sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Taste. Keep adding lemon juice and sugar until you reach the right sweet-sour balance. If you want to be more refined strain through a sieve to remove seeds (i didn't bother). Chill! Can be served with sour cream, creme fraiche, etc.

I worship you.

Ex-wife's recipe:

Massaman Lamb Curry

4 tbsp vegetable oil

4 cups coconut milk

2 onions, sliced

2 tbsp brown sugar

Massaman Curry Paste

(makes about 1/3 cup)

1 tsp caraway seeds

6 whole cloves

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground nutmeg

2 tbsp vegetable oil

6 cardamom pods

4 bay leaves

1 tsp shrimp paste

This is going right into my recipe collection.

Thanks for the borscht recipe! We now have a ton of blueberries and blackberries, and I've got a couple of pickled roasted beets, so even though it will be nothing like what you make, maybe . . .

I too am very, very impressed with the curry paste! I made my own green, once. Agree that freshly made is so much better than the jarred stuff. But I have so many jars, received as giveaways, it may be years until I make more of my own. Will definitely try that one, though.

What I did do was my turduckfen: boned-out a couple of turkey thighs, pounded a bit for bigger surface and more even rollability. Lined with duck bacon, then spread with a mix of cooked fennel, shallot, and garlic, plus fennel seeds, panko, and grated Parm+Romano. Rolled up, tied (well, actually rubber-banded with cooking rubber bands), fitted into a loaf pan, and baked with some duck stock poured over. Shoulda used the toaster oven instead of the stove oven--too hot in the kitchen today.:(

The stock and juices then were used for instant whole wheat couscous.

Tuscan kale simmered with water and roasted garlic cloves.

Salad including our first Sun Golds of the season, with tarragon vinaigrette.

Leftover Goss shiraz

We pickled golden beets the other day for a couple's wedding tasting. (We just heard we got another gig!) I was home for about 10 hours today and decided that I wanted to eat something prior to heading to the airport. It was 6 o'clock and my car was arrive at 6:15. I made a bruschetta with rubbed garlic, spread some Joe's Diary Ricotta over the bruschetta. added sliced pickled beets and drank a racer 5.