Leftovers, but there were these...

7722751640_99c304965a_z.jpg

Tomato and herb salad

7721903322_8e1627198d_z.jpg

Shiro plum tart -- with a pâte sucrée base, lemon curd and Shiro plums that were macerated with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon allspice and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.

• Replies 23.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Last night Miss A made a pretty amazing salad. We had burratta from DiPalos. Using this, we served a half a grilled peach, a half a burratta, some pickled golden beets we had pickled, heirloom tomatoes, a bit of balsamic, shredded thai, purple, and regular basil. It was truly amazing.

We then had live shrimp quickly grilled with a soy butter.

Then there was homemade spaghetti served with some roasted mushrooms, poached lobster, and corn. We made a corn broth and then added that to the pasta with homemade lobster oil. This dish too was pretty stellar.

Finished with thai marinated game hens. Kept whole, deboned all but the drumstick, soaked in fish sauce, soy, lime, and sugar. Grilled and then baked. Served with snowpeas cooked with some salami from Dipalos.

Grapefruit granita

a berry crumble with homemade green tea ice cream.

Still so full.

Mostly left-overs and using up assorted odds & ends -

the last of the tomato-mozzarella tart

green bean salad

cod (new) with charmoula

corn (bought today, very disappointing)

Palomas (tequila, lime juice, grapefruit soda) to drink.

Blueberry mascarpone tart for dessert.

very nice, splinky

bloviatrix -- the corn didn't come from USGM, I hope...

tonight:

7730539456_75670383e3_z.jpg

Celery braised in butter, wine and herbs

7730539046_a34e934568_z.jpg

Tomato and crispy sourdough bread salad, with Spanish chorizo, almonds and a poached farm egg

Sort of a riff on panzanella and the Zuni Cafe chicken and warm bread salad.

Rustic plum tart for dessert (I have quite a bit of leftovers to get through for the week ;) )

very nice, splinky

bloviatrix -- the corn didn't come from USGM, I hope...

Corn was bought at USGM - from Madura. I won't be buying from them again. Corn from Sycamore (last friday) was disappointing as well. I'm thinking I'll try Paffenroth tomorrow.

Taliesin: The absolute best biscuits (buttermilk plus heavy cream) are Shirley Corriher's Touch of Grace Biscuits. Just use a very low-protein Southern-style flour. And cut down on the sugar a bit, otherwise they come out better for shortcake. But they are super light and flaky.

Last night:

"Grilled" fresh sardines

Julia Child's French potato salad (The Way to Cook) with some Isfahan spice/herb mix from La Boîte

Salad with herb vinaigrette

Albariño to drink

Thanks Suzanne. (Where can I get the Southern-style flour?)

First time making pâte sucrée and lemon curd last weekend, came out okay even if I did use the wrong flour. :blink: Also can't quite get over the fact that there were 14 tablespoons of butter between those two components. Life is short, right?

tonight:

7751149322_381e7c67dc_z.jpg

Deconstructed "aloo gobi"

Clockwise from near left:

Roasted cauliflower cooked with black mustard seeds, onion and turmeric;

Indian home fries (Yukon gold potatoes fried in ghee, with onion, cumin and scallions);

Quick tomato confit

7751148400_64612233de_z.jpg

Spaghetti with squid, tomato and toasted bread crumbs

Thanks Suzanne. (Where can I get the Southern-style flour?)

The brand is White Lily. You may need to do some digging to locate it here or see if their Website has information on distribution. Otherwise, you can try to order it online. King Arthur Flour now makes a "Southern-style" self-rising flour.

According to this from The Splendid Table, you can also use part self-rising all-purpose and part Wondra. Never tried that.

A few years ago, Shirley left being a spokesperson for White Lily flour and took up with Midstate Mills Tenda-Bake Flour (self-rising) www.midstatemills.com. I think that's the flour I've used, but it was a sample bag I'd received so I don't know if/where it might be available in NYC. You can buy it direct from Midstate.

ETA: She might no longer be connected with Midstate; no mention of her on their site. But I know that flour works in the biscuits.

Edited by Suzanne F

ok, cool. thanks. I think this weekend I'll be trying bread from scratch, take #4. the loaf last time was okay but not just there yet.

also, my first soufflé next week. I think sweet, and we'll see how it goes. never had one before; should be fun.

tonight -- leftovers, but there were also these:

7757008360_960a0583f2_z.jpg

Corn, sweet peppers, manouri cheese

Inspired by Larry Forgione's pan-seared buffalo steak with corn, peppers and scallions at the original An American Place.

7757009034_cd4bd15ab3_z.jpg

Sopa de ajo con chorizo

• 2 weeks later...

I love taco night.:D

Sea trout, cut into goujons, battered* and deep fried

Corn, white flour, and whole-wheat flour tortillas

Kohlrabi slaw (fine julienne of kohlrabi, homemade garlic scape mayonnaise from a couple of months ago; see, you can keep homemade mayo)

Homemade salsa verde

Homemade pickled white onions

Bought pickled jalapeños

Bought hot sauces (just brought out the whole damn bin of them, too many to enumerate)

Fresh cilantro

Salad with oregano vinaigrette

Leftover Orvieto

*I tried something different: mixed up my usual equal parts beer and flour batter, stirring in an egg yolk and folding in the beaten white. It was beautifully crisp and greaseless coming out of the oil, but after sitting in a moderate oven on a wire rack for less than 30 minutes, got all soggy. :( I think it was from steam coming out of the fish. Tasted great, though.

I love taco night.:D

Sea trout, cut into goujons, battered* and deep fried

Corn, white flour, and whole-wheat flour tortillas

Kohlrabi slaw (fine julienne of kohlrabi, homemade garlic scape mayonnaise from a couple of months ago; see, you can keep homemade mayo)

Homemade salsa verde

Homemade pickled white onions

Bought pickled jalapeños

Bought hot sauces (just brought out the whole damn bin of them, too many to enumerate)

Fresh cilantro

Salad with oregano vinaigrette

Leftover Orvieto

*I tried something different: mixed up my usual equal parts beer and flour batter, stirring in an egg yolk and folding in the beaten white. It was beautifully crisp and greaseless coming out of the oil, but after sitting in a moderate oven on a wire rack for less than 30 minutes, got all soggy. :( I think it was from steam coming out of the fish. Tasted great, though.

Mmmmm. Fish Tacos. I believe they're a perfect food.