Union Pork Store.. Miss K, 1st day of school in the books. She called me to request pork chops. On my way home, i stopped by and picked up these beautiful guys.. 3 bone in chops were 2 lbs. very nice marbling, I salted them and pan grilled. I really feel like the best product Cruset makes is their grill pan.. that or that oval shaped roasting guy where you put the ice cubes on top. http://www.thegreenhead.com/2009/10/le-creuset-oval-doufeu-oven.php

4 minutes, then 5 minutes on the other side. medium pink.. miss k declared them, "juicy" heirloom tomato and cherry tomato from the garden. herbs from the garden, truffle balsamic, olive oil.. kale from the garden, with pickled peppers from the garden. did i mention the garden?

7946990118_9682545c63.jpg

7947032762_3c63135eff.jpg

7947033250_8976131c93.jpg

14 dollars for the pork..countless hours and dollars for the small plates of vegetables.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Your pork chops sure look meatier than mine, although I marked mine jut as nicely in a Lodge grill pan. Grill pans are THE BEST.

Served with baked delicata squash slices with a sweet chile glaze; braised Japanese turnip greens, escarole, and chopped shallot; and salad with greens, cucumber, red pepper, and heirloom tomatoes, too (just not from my garden;)). Drovers Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley) to drink.

I have had the lodge grill pan when I lived in Manhattan. Due to lack of space, when I received the cruset, i gave my lodge away.. I still have the flat lodge, that I use on my bbq.. But, at the time I felt the cruset was better than the lodge.. I felt that the ridges were too deep on the lodge and the cruset added a better char. Someone who has both Lodge and Cruset

"Grill Pans" could comment if there is a difference.

Mejillon de galicia en escabeche.

Ventresca de bonito del norte.

Boqueron del Cantabrico.

Jamon iberico bellota. Four different types.

Tarama de da Rosa.

A simply superb Rioja 2008 Seleccion Personal.

... among other things ...

I have but one question ...

Where in the world is Chambo ?

N brought back from South Africa a metal can on a frame that you use to make "beer can chicken". You put the chicken on the frame and put the whole thing on the BBQ. Since we don't have a grill, we used it in our roasting pan. The chicken was basted with Nando's lemon-herb sauce and the beer was Shocktop Wheat Beer (very disappointing to drink but made a good gravy). N roasted yams, eggplants, golden beets, and red beets in the roasting pans and braised the beet greens.

Dessert was ripe pears and some cookies from Artopolis Bakery in the neighborhood.

Maple-Smoked heirloom tomato, fresh pulled mozzarella curds from Todaro Bros., mixed basil, pea shoots, s+p, the last of some label-free red wine vinegar...half a loaf of fresh bread from Grimaldi's House of Bread a few blocks away, and all the preceding posts have made me feel largely unfulfilled by my snack......

Duck gumbo (planned on Friday night):

• Trinity of celery, scallion, and green pepper
  • Confit duck necks
  • Corn stock, duck stock, and extra pot likker from greens cooked with smoked meats
  • Okra
  • Eggplant
  • Zucchini

served with a mix of leftover jasmine rice plus freshly cooked black and wild rices (the wild was inspired by Meatopia:)), a little file powder, and a mix of chopped scallion greens and cilantro

Salad with leaves, green and black zebra tomatoes, red bell pepper, Kirby, and tarragon vinaigrette

MacNeill's Dark Angel ale to drink.

Stephanie--sounds like a variation of a vertical roaster. Great invention! Esp. when you chunk up some vegetables to put under the chicken to roast in the drippings.

Stephanie--sounds like a variation of a vertical roaster. Great invention! Esp. when you chunk up some vegetables to put under the chicken to roast in the drippings.

It was surprisingly awkward to get into the roasting pan and into the oven--definitely a two-person job. Perhaps it works better on the grill. Chicken and vegetables tasted great, though, and the drippings-and-beer gravy was excellent.

Pan-fried/steamed duck leg quarters* with Galil No. 13 spice mix from La Boîte à Épice

Pan sauce of fond + duck stock

Roasted potatos, Japanese turnips, radishes, and carrot chunks (coated in duck fat, more Galil), already-oasted garlic cloves added for serving

Steamed chard

Salad, tarragon vinaigrette

Goss shiraz to drink

*NY Times recipe from 1993. Great. And Alice's more recent version almost works. ;)

7978742245_b34be0556b_z.jpg

Salmon roe and Persian cucumber salad

Behold my failed attempt at trying to brunoise cucumber and onion.

7978742767_f463828a7f_z.jpg

Left: Broccoli con aglio e acciughe

Right: Scalloped tomatoes

The tomatoes feature croutons made by frying bread cubes from a baguette in schmaltz, then combined with tomatoes, red onion, basil, sea salt, black pepper, olive oil and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and baked at 350 F for 30 minutes. Kind of like a "hot panzanella" but the proportion of tomato to bread definitely favors the former.

7978742245_b34be0556b_z.jpg

Salmon roe and Persian cucumber salad

Behold my failed attempt at trying to brunoise cucumber and onion.

7978742767_f463828a7f_z.jpg

Left: Broccoli con aglio e acciughe

Right: Scalloped tomatoes

The tomatoes feature croutons made by frying bread cubes from a baguette in schmaltz, then combined with tomatoes, red onion, basil, sea salt, black pepper, olive oil and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and baked at 350 F for 30 minutes. Kind of like a "hot panzanella" but the proportion of tomato to bread definitely favors the former.

Whats the dressing on the salad. That dish looks great.