I had an unexceptional dish of sambar while out last week,and wanted to do better.... so got involved with making sambar, hoppers and a pumpkin coconut stew. The sambar was good,though not quite my ideal (I love sambar),needed more fried shallots in the spice mix.

I hadnt made hoppers in a long time,worth the effort. Warming meal on a chilly day....

I'll be right over. 

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Cooking for family as medicine for sorrow on a dreary Sunday: fried smelts,roasted peppers ,panelle. Prok shoulder ragu on fresh papardelle, salad,cornmeal almond biscotti. I like to spread out the cooked chickpea a little thicker than traditional...gives a nice balance of crispy creamy

Another week, another cold.. Playing the lollipop game with the boy.. We each lick it until it gets to where he can bite it.. He then takes a bite, I take a bite and then somehow we end up in Disneyland?  This is according to Jax.. So, yeh, he is gross and therefore I am gross.. Or maybe it was when we shared gum, or he backwashed into my drink, or when he sneezed in my face, or licked his hand and rubbed it in my face, or licked my face.. maybe when I got into his bed and we made a tent and there were incredibly strong smells of urine.. but, who knows... it could have been unrelated to any of that.  

When I get a cold, it's a combination of green tea, whiskey, sichuan soup, chinese antibiotics and freshed squeezed ginger and apple juice and the occasional nyquil. 

Went to chinatwn yesterday.. I have a pretty stocked chinese kitchen right now so, not much to buy.. This was all 28 bucks.. I have about a week of soup and have stock of all the ingredients with the exception of the shrimp and mussels. 

Mussels, shrimp, bean thread noodle, sesame paste, sprouts, greens, sesame candy , sprouts, mushrooms, ginger, and fish balls.. left over tofu in the fridge

30692716417_aabbdb2a86_z.jpg

Went into the freezer and pulled out an old soup that I strained and cooked down... It's a base that works perfectly, just add to a pot and add some cooking wine, a little fermented paste, some new dried peppers, some ginger and garlic and cilantro and the raw ingredients in the proper order.. 

44719922965_553214ee66_z.jpg

It would do without any futzing but, i am a futzer, I like to futz.. 

44719928705_f11a484252_z.jpg

yeh, not much plating effort

45633616701_a69aa55ab3_z.jpg

Sitting at my desk this morning:  A green tea and whiskey on deck. 

45583391402_85c5fee967_z.jpg

When you are tired of getting shitty food delivered to your house for 65 bucks a clip, you think quickly.. I ran outside, checked to see if the sage was still alive.. We had some flour, some whole wheat flour and some butter..   I can make a pasta dough in minutes.. And jax can get covered in flour in seconds.. 

45668069411_9f260d0e60_z.jpg

43849959940_75f3cba1af_z.jpg

It's called family style because, no one but family would eat pasta off your child's feet

31795669348_3e0b7ea760_z.jpg

43849966850_899f82bf11_z.jpg

sage was actually beautiful 

It was really good:  Jax helped, he did a great job.. he ran the pasta through the roller, he floured the pasta, dropped it in the water and didn't eat a god damn thing. 

31795670078_470d234618_z.jpg

Mrs. P made an awesome side dish of spicy roasted Brussels sprouts with Kimchi dressing from a recipe that she found in the Bergen Record a few weeks ago. It contained chopped garlic, ginger, Korean gochujang paste, red pepper flakes, fish sauce, scallions, red onions, olive oil, kosher salt, and sugar. This really packed a punch. I don't think she will be able to make Brussels sprouts a different way again :)

A4OvyJdh.jpg

• Like 1

Trolling the Polish stores in Greenpoint,I spied a bag of white beans with the subtitle Handsome Johnny Beans,which made them an irresistable purchase. Picked up a smoked ham hock and did my best to keep the beans handsome with some aromatics. Sauteed greens with anchovy bread crumbs (love those spicy dried and fried candied anchovies that I pick up in the Indonesian store on Mulberry street j. Con-fusion cooking

• 2 weeks later...

D’Artagnan had a 40% off sale last week, and we bought some duck leg confit and Moulard Magret duck breast. Mrs. P made duck for the first time. She made some awesome Asian duck leg confit tacos which was mixed with a very flavorful combination of garlic, scallions, fish sauce, English cucumbers, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chicken broth, Chinese five spice, toasted black sesame seeds, and red cabbage among other ingredients. You know Mrs. P cannot make a simple taco :D  She also made a side salad containing arugula, garlic olive oil, white balsamic and red wine vinegar, Humboldt fog cheese, salt and pepper. Of course I added more duck to my salad  :) Everything went very well with a 2013 Kenwood Sonoma County Cabernet.

3PWzDqLh.jpg

XIRI12gh.jpg

kNb2dadh.jpg

y5wgkV5h.jpg

PxVyC6gh.jpg

3TjVWeIh.jpg

• Like 1