Vanessa

Supper

Sdsauce.com is the site. I didn’t realize how small they were. The sauce needs to be refrigerated. My favorite is the original sauce. It’s so fresh and has a limited shelf life but, yeh I eat it on a lot of things. It plays very well with masa and corn and on grilled meat. I served it with smoked chicken, grilled skirt steak and grilled fish. So good.

Last week Mrs. P made her summer pan seared quail salad. It was a real work of art and almost too pretty to eat. ALMOST :)  It was sweet and savory.

Besides the quail it contained strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, arugula, roasted figs, sautéed red onions, crispy duck cracklings, delicious red sable grapes that taste like wine, mini peppers, shishito peppers, homegrown red snacking peppers, olive oil, S&P, fresh shaved gruyere cheese, and reduced balsamic syrup.

rKqBIXMh.jpg

bRqwvUeh.jpg

MB8hPc1h.jpg

1pE36Hah.jpg

Looks beautiful 

Daniel, the eggplant with corn and polenta sounds amazing. 

And Paryzer, those photos are cruel! You're taunting us. It looks like the perfect summer meal.

• Like 2

And Paryzer, those photos are cruel! You're taunting us. It looks like the perfect summer meal.

Thanks Bloviatrix! Yes, it was a perfect summer meal. It was both savory and sweet. They say that you eat with your eyes, and Mrs. P spends almost as much time composing the meal on the plate, (to make it look like a work of art), as she does preparing the meal :) Everything has to be symmetrical :)

Last night: amazingly good wild king salmon cooked on a cedar plank on the grill, with homegrown red and blue potatoes steamed and tossed with melted herb butter

Tonight: light dinner after a big lunch (at the sole Lithuanian restaurant west of Chicago)--mashed RG Mogette de Vendee beans, homegrown tomatoes (including blue ones) with basil, and avocado on baguette slices.

Playing around with some summer, Med/Middle Eastern-y stuff:

iM2Ip8Y.jpg?1

j97GDHs.jpg?1

A neighbor had gifted me a bunch of bell peppers (the green ones). I bought one more red one, and had some jalapeños as well. The filling is lamb, basmati rice, onion, garlic, various herbs and spices and whatever else I'm forgetting.  Steam roasted in the CSO for about 40 minutes, and then another 10 minutes without steam.  Atop some diced tomatoes and bay leaves.

9fG5ken.jpg?1

Scarily plated, alongside summer tomatoes, cucumbers and corn. I opened a 2012 Cab from Stonestreet, as I thought it would work with both the lamb and the peppers. It did.

Playing around with some summer, Med/Middle Eastern-y stuff

Looks great. I adore stuffed peppers but always associated them with the Eastern European heritage grandma. :-)

• Like 1

Playing around with some summer, Med/Middle Eastern-y stuff

Looks great. I adore stuffed peppers but always associated them with the Eastern European heritage grandma. :-)

Thanks! Trying to remember if my grandma made stuffed peppers...I don't think so, but she made a mean stuffed cabbage.

And I guess she was central European, being Austrian?

I think her parents emigrated from what was at the time Poland, but my grandfather’s parents were Czech & Hungarian. The Lebanese grandmother made a mean stuffed cabbage though :-)

Tonight I've probably burned my gullet with a big swallow of too-hot polenta. Hot coffee is hotter, but this felt like a slow trickle of lava.

It was delicious, though, even with half the recipe's butter.

For dessert, I'm now going to dust some corners of my office with superfine eye- and lung-irritating powder, against the silverfish I brought in with some used books. It's been nice knowing you all.

Costco had some beautiful huge and sweet King crab legs and dungeness crab for Labor Day. Mrs. P simply steamed them. They were delicious with some drawn butter. She also made a side order of corn salad. There was so much crab meat that we had enough for two days.

lGwChL2h.jpg

fiwjAd8h.jpg

aFZFw46h.jpg

Bnx73HAh.jpg

evOxx5Lh.jpg

UrxNFQIh.jpg

WaOagnXh.jpg

N1yNWy4h.jpg

YRJihWih.jpg

9aQ2tXCh.jpg

• Like 2