Vanessa

Supper

What are the fuzzy mushrooms that look like white tribbles? I don't think I've ever seen mushrooms like that before.

I think you mean Lion's Manes?

What are the fuzzy mushrooms that look like white tribbles? I don't think I've ever seen mushrooms like that before.

I think you mean Lion's Manes?

Indeed.  I believe the others were 2 types of oyster mushrooms.  All nice and clean and meaty and tasty.

Such a good dinner.. I had kale, fennel, escarole from the farmers market... I bought on saturday and it was still crisp but, i want to move product as saturday is approaching and I want to buy more stuff..   Garlic goes down, then shredded kale, then fennel.. I defrosted shrimp stock, whole black pepper, added a tomato, added escarole, the clams, the crab, the mussels and some marsala wine... Anyway, so damn good. 

48803429258_f750a86931_z.jpg

that broth is legit:

48803775231_dcf07e09e0_z.jpg

• Like 1

This came out really good as well.. A trip to the farmers market yielded me more scallops, more fish, more butter potatoes and some other things... I bought this beautiful spinach, golden beets and a few more things.. The beets were roasted and then tossed with mustard, garlic, vinegar and dill... The potatoes were boiled, smashed with butter and grilled.. Spinach boiled, added a little lemon.. And then composed with some creme fraiche and more dill.. Really delicious. 

48822189406_c2e893f13f_z.jpg

• Like 1

More quick cooking.. Good ingredients, nothing fancy, dinner done in under 20 minutes, maybe less. 

Speaking about good ingredients, swordfish from the greenmarket on Saturday... I was skeptical before opening the bag but, it had a good texture, smelled fresh-ish.  Not bad by any means.  Was going to invite the neighbor over but, didn't trust it enough to give to other people, just in case.  But, i trusted it.   

When I creep on other gourmet shops, I always feel the need to buy a few things.  I have so many beautiful random pastas from I never know where..  Here is one of those random beautiful pastas.  Started with shallots and dill, then swordfish, then tomatoes, some Albarino that had been opened and closed back with a cork that sat among my vinegars on  my counter for about a month, dill, parsley and then spinach then a small pad of butter.. Tossed the pasta in and let it marry. topped with olive oil.     

Im not really selling this dish but, i lived, it was delicious and I like Dill and Tomato Sauce.. Reminded me of an Egyptian Dish I had in Jackson Heights but, with pasta.  

48832150411_19c250c3f7_z.jpg

Served out of the pan on the counter. 

48832149916_4b2ffd5750_z.jpg

• Like 1

First attempt with the 2nd donabe I've bought. Nothing wrong with the first one but it's big, so I went down to Korin and picked up a more reasonably sized one for the two of us.

EeLHpYy.jpg?1

Chicken ginger rice. Made the dashi, which using a dashi tea bag took about 4 minutes. Chicken thighs marinated in sake, soy, nam pla. Lots of julienned ginger. A touch of sesame oil, and scallions to garnish.  

My one mistake was measuring the liquid incorrectly, for reasons that shall remain a secret.  So, a little overcooked on the rice but just great taste, and this is easy. Served with assorted pickled veg and sautéed broccoli.

The donabe will start to see a lot of use.

• Like 1

Looks good - that's an interesting pasta variety, that I'm pretty sure I've had...great texture.

casarecce I believe.. Thanks handsome..   My mother recently gave me one of those clay pots that you are cooking with.. They bought this super expensive sort of table for their dining room.. it was made from bones and on this table was this donabe.  I looked at it my whole life. they told me it was super fancy and not to touch it.. Outside of someone dusting it, it never was used.. Then, just two weeks ago, my mother handed me two platters and the donabe.  She said, well, i dont cook anymore so you might as well have these.   So, now I have that thing I have never been able to touch in my kitchen... It seems strange cooking with it.  it was part of a renovation so i have no idea how they came to own the thing.  I feel like I should get it appraised before I cook with it but, who knows, i should ask more questions.. 

Dinner last night was again a quickie.. i had a head of frisee from the greenmarket, leftover escarole and a little fennel.. Added it all together, made a shallot mustard dressing and cooked a couple of confit duck legs from the greenmarket... Poached an egg and that was that.  Another 20 minute meal. 

48837229612_e0a17cf6c1_z.jpg

• Like 1

I don't cook often these past few years. But I spent much of a day this past August trying to barbecue this brisket in my dying smoker. So now it's out of the freezer and braising in beer till either it's tender, or I till chop it up for a ragu (if I'm creative) or sloppy joes (if I'm not).

XAMiu5u.jpg

• Like 1

After all those haricots we ate in Montreal, we needed more.  After that salt-meadow lamb in Montreal, we needed more.

5Wna67R.jpg?1

Of course, neither was as good. The haricots were from Trader Joe's (Guatemala) and the lamb was from Trader Joe's; grass-fed New Zealand and it was tasty enough.  

The lamb was roasted in the CSO, after being salted and hanging out in the fridge for 6-8 hours. The haricots, butter braised.  The Yukon gold potatoes, tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, pimentón, steam roasted in the CSO.  

• Like 1

ex4KGDb.jpg?1

Pork shoulder "steak," pan-fried, with a bit of pan gravy. Rice made in the donabe, with stock, shitakes, scallions, and ginger.

Pretty tasty. 

Veal sweetbreads pan fried with capers and a cauliflower purée. Could talk the kids into the sweetbreads being schnitzel but the mashed “potatoes” were less convincing.

• Like 1

Another go at cedar-planked salmon cooked on the grill, this time over gas. Wild rice, sautéed greens from our garden, and fresh tomatoes from our garden tossed with basil on the side.  (The tomatoes are all small varieties--not enough hours of sun in our yard for beefsteaks to do well.)  Surprisingly decent tiramisu from Costco for dessert.

First let me state that I don't know how to cook ... okay

I see the stuff that Daniel does ... OMFG amazing, that guy ! A natural talent ... instinct ... raw energy ... intuition ... the guy totally wings it and nails it EVERY Fing TIME  ...

TL;DR Daniel's a pro ... he's a guy you can learn from

I know nothing ... but what I know is that if you buy decent product and don't f it up then you'll be in a good place ... and that's what I try to do ... KISS ... all the pretty girls and my dinners

Got it ?

Rice cooker in now ONE !

eta - IT'S BEEPING !!!

OMFG !!! 

I'M NOT PREPARED ... I'M WAS ON MY APP ... AND NOW MY RICE IS READY ... I'M TOTALLY F'ed

DANIEL ... WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU !