Vanessa

Supper

I have been buying meat and fish direct from my suppliers..   All I do is work and well, yeh it's a crisis, no one seemed to mind yet.  I ordered 3 lbs of should chop lamb, 3 pounds of thinly slice pork chops and three game hens... That should be enough meat for like a month or at least 3 weeks. 

This beautiful dry aged steak.. Roasted potatoes and arugula salad. Cooked to how I like it.  Steak about a pound, or 1.2 to be exact... Salt the hell out of it.. One minute on the rind, 3 minutes on one side, resalt, add butter, 3.5 on the other side.  Fancy salt to finish. 

49721618797_921f36b64e_z.jpg

Also had broccoli 

49720893373_7a9288e0d0_z.jpg

• Like 2

Meatloaf!  Should feed us for several days.

You are lucky to have N.    Chuck told me years ago that i shouldn't quit my day job on the basis of my meatloaf.    We buy ours from the butcher counter at Bryan's, which is out of bounds now.

Well heck, I can make meatloaf--provided many cheap meals when I was single.  I used to use Mom's recipe (only ground beef, tomato sauce on top), but N used a recipe from a very worn South African cookbook of hers.

But I'm definitely lucky to have N.

Meatloaf!  Should feed us for several days.

You are lucky to have N.    Chuck told me years ago that i shouldn't quit my day job on the basis of my meatloaf.    We buy ours from the butcher counter at Bryan's, which is out of bounds now.

Well heck, I can make meatloaf--provided many cheap meals when I was single.  I used to use Mom's recipe (only ground beef, tomato sauce on top), but N used a recipe from a very worn South African cookbook of hers.

But I'm definitely lucky to have N.

do you know what went into N's meatloaf.  Curious to hear about it.  Andrew Zimmerman just posted his favorite meatloaf recipe.

Italy Solidarity Supper

wkpTjIE.jpg

UKX0VAY.jpg

6d9iY4B.jpg

And a dorayaki for dessert, deservedly ... cuz supper without a little sweetness is not a supper worth supping ...

Tis true for life too !

Anyone like my literary placemats ?

0yYabJa.jpg

I am impressed.. the guy can cook.  

Andrew Zimmerman just posted his favorite meatloaf recipe.

It included anything (almost) edible.

Ersatz poulet riesling.   Chicken legs because delivery service subbed drumsticks for whole chicken.   Refused to crack a decent riesling for this so used our daily house "champagne", a drinkable California sparkling.   Had no white mushrooms, ergo rehydrated dried pleurots.    Still almost recognizable.   With giant couscous.    Won't try to duplicate this but it was, as a gourmand friend used to say, eminently edible.   

49721588503_6598567663_c.jpg

And some padrones 'cause you should always have greens.

49722443377_792808dd6b_c.jpg

Refused to crack a decent riesling

This is the kind of thinking we all have to defeat to get ourselves through this episode.

Totally understand.   But was totally satisfied with my "poulet champagne".     I realize that you nightly uncork the best of your cellar for your own singular enjoyment.    I am more of a Philistine, happy with less than the best when alone, saving the best for sharing.    I may reach a point in my life when I will re-evaluate this and be content to simply pleasure myself.   

I may reach a point in my life when I will re-evaluate this and be content to simply pleasure myself.   

How much longer do you plan on waiting?!

I may reach a point in my life when I will re-evaluate this and be content to simply pleasure myself.   

How much longer do you plan on waiting?!

Good question, but I'm a pretty happy camper as it is.    Wine is most frequently situational for us.    You're happy, we're happy.   Alone, I'm always happy.   If not happy, I don't drink it.

I am pillaging my cellar...and enjoying every sip.But, I seriously hope, somewhere down the road, that I am beyond angry at myself for doing so. 

• Like 1

I'm having a fucking 30-year-old Barolo with my Zoomed but physically solo Seder dinner next week, and not even Pharaoh can stop me.

• Like 1