Vanessa

Supper

I don't know how that steak tasted, but it certainly couldn't look any better.

It looks good, as does all D's food, but 2 things:

1.  I like skirt cooked more, but that's just me.

2.  It looks like it's sliced with the grain, as opposed to across the grain. Is that just the way I'm seeing it, or is that done on purpose?

We have this same discussion every time I make skirt steak...  :D   I slice with the grain.  Maybe if you ate it my way, you wouldnt need to over cook it!   You like sous vide, I cut my skirt steak like that.   But really, no amount of slicing is going to make your sous vide steak better...   But i totally understand your preference for slightly more cooked meat.. There is more connective tissue and it's more melted and all of that.. But, I truly like this particular cut, this particular way. 

Well, my memory isn't what it used to be. Or maybe never was.

But have I ever made sous vide skirt steak?  I mean, Alder had a steak on their menu that was cooked sous vide, then grilled, that was great  - might been hanger steak though. And I tried to replicate that at home.

• Like 1

I followed serious eats spare rib recipe.. Except I used baby back ribs, I subbed sugar for honey and I think that was it.. I marinated for three days.. I think the problem and it was not a big problem was that three days for spareribs might be slightly different than baby back. 2 days may have been enough and though the ribs were absolutely fantastic and everything I wanted, if I were to get super picky, which I always do, i would say they were slightly too brined.  But yeh, if I knew it would taste the way it did if I made it again, I would..   The 5 spice was a prominent flavor and well, star anise when its well balanced is a beautiful thing, 

49774727743_3805fdee84_z.jpg

Served with a simple jasmine rice with some sherry onions and an arugula salad with a dijon dressing. 

the best shot of the plate: 

49775256216_db41b8d443_z.jpg

49775206221_696f104982_z.jpg<a

49775590092_9f231ace00_z.jpg

• Like 1

So in the beginning of the week I had made this dish, with sausage and broccoli rabe.. Well, we didn't finish it all and normally I would have plenty of takers but, now we are stuck in isolation.. And while I didn't want to toss it, i also didn't want to eat the same dish again..

49736938981_d29558c1fd_z.jpg

So:

49748562667_75d5a5f323_z.jpg

49748233621_0cd27997d5_z.jpg

Agnolotti:

I didn't have parm or hard cheese so, i went with mozzarella.. Agnolotti is one of my favorite meat stuffed pastas.. it's small, its flavorful, it reminds me of Piedmonte

49747594873_4764cc3e48_z.jpg

49748139591_c41c75cc84_z.jpg

A little turkey stock, some butter and chile flake.. It was really good

49747595003_d70aa2f7c9_z.jpg

side note, tried to fry one.. not successful

49754899953_514945d200_z.jpg

No surprise, but I made pork schnitzel, nothing new, but fried it in some fresh duck fat I’d saved from a magret, and the crispiness was newsworthy. Just a reminder that some things really do make a difference.

OMG I'ma make a Rohan duck schnitzel using some of the duck fat I have left over from matzoh ball-making.

THANK YOU.

OMG I'ma make a Rohan duck schnitzel using some of the duck fat I have left over from matzoh ball-making.

THANK YOU.

Wiener schnitzel is supposed to be fried in clarified butter by the way. If you ever go to Tirol I can recommend a place. 

• Like 1

THANK YOU.

So like the world's fanciest chicken-fried steak? 

the fat left over from making those rohan duck breasts has been instrumental in getting my younger child to eat vegetables.

49778007581_018a177d16_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49777475313_082412d89d_z.jpg

tkeokbokki in the making

49777475313_082412d89d_z.jpg

It's a fairly straight forward.. the only tricky thing is you have to use anchoy broth or water they say is fine,.. I had some dried bonito so, I added that to boiling water.. boiled the rice cakes, then added carrots and cabbage, then mushrooms, then finally sprouts.  It was all good.. you add the paste, soy, some sugar, let is cook down, that's it.. It was delicious. 

Better than most restaurants... I had trouble finding fish cakes so,i added mussels. 

49777510828_e632545625_z.jpg

For the adults, red lentil dal. For the kids a couple slices of bread with stuff on it. But if we're really honest, their dinner was basically ice cream. 

• Like 1

Strip steak and pasta dressed with cauliflower.    = cauliflower boiled and pureed with cooking juice and cream + garnish of grilled cauliflower bits.  

49779427182_28c521a259_c.jpg

For the adults, red lentil dal. For the kids a couple slices of bread with stuff on it. But if we're really honest, their dinner was basically ice cream. 

it works itself out. ice cream has all the body requires. 

Fried breadcrumbed basia in duck fat tonight. I stand by the duck fat.

Had planned more interesting fish but the stall in Essex St Market has thrown in the towel for a couple of weeks. Surprisingly long line for Luis.