Had planned more interesting fish but the stall in Essex St Market has thrown in the towel for a couple of weeks. Surprisingly long line for Luis.

You're a brave man...

As I posted yesterday on social media, the neighborhood doesn't really seem to get the concept of masks.  Out for a walk yesterday AM, I'd say a good 1/3 of people weren't wearing masks. And of the remaining 2/3 who were, half of them aren't even close to wearing them correctly, or they've basically pulled them down around their necks so that they can talk on their phones, eat on the street, or undertake some other unknown activity. 

I don't really think masks work unless they're worn correctly and left the fuck alone. Not pulled down because you walked out of a store, or wore below the nose, or around a neck.

• Replies 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Carbonara following that video joethefoodie linked to a week or so back. I had always used Marcella's recipe, but I have to say, the “true” Roman version really is better.

Made Alkaline Noodles today.. I essentially baked baking soda for an hour..

49782085846_84a12c56f1_z.jpg

mixed with water and tossed in with the noodles. 

It was essentially like making a pasta dough. Except you add this alkaline water.  ran it out to a 6.. cut with spaghetti cutter. I have dough left that I will hand cut. 

49781157148_5a33ab9766_z.jpg

To try them out I made this sichuan sauce.. amazing.. Delicious, chewy, just so good.

49781883666_b4ea6b5d51_z.jpg

then I decided to go just straight up sesame paste, sesame oil, peanut butter, sugar, hoison, soy, sriracha, vinegar, ginger and garlic. 
49781883671_75cdbbc537_z.jpg

then I made lo mein.  beef.. this was my initial intention but, well, the noodles were so good and I wanted to try different dishes.. I have some left where I want to make just a traditional garlicky thin brown sauce that I is served at the end of meals.. 

Lo mein:

49781343968_debde6a082_z.jpg

Beef:

Beef goes in, gets browned and removed.. Then vegetables are cooked briefly and taken out.. Then the noodles go in and are cooked in oil for a few.. then you throw in some ginger and garlic, then beef and veg.. then I poured a sauce in the mixture and cooked together for a few.. 

49781547628_fc1feb449f_z.jpg

This was so good.. Miss A asked me where I bought the noodles. 

49782412147_1d350253df_z.jpg

• Like 2
I just tried the second version in that video and it came out really well, using the bain-marie really made a difference.

Exactly! I did a hybrid of the first two as 1 yolk per 50gr pasta seemed a bit extravagant for a weeknight with kids. But thinking of it as a savoury Sabayon was the defining idea for me -- and clarifies why you wouldn't want to mess around with garlic/parsley or anything like that. Also the thing about having the guanciale crisp on the outside/melting inside. Marcella doesn't want you to get any colour (which I ignored anyway) but key was to use larger chunks. 

Last Passover dinner: matzah pie with ground beef and spinach filling, a Sephardic recipe taken from The World of Jewish Cooking.  Concept is similar to that of lasagna.  A bit bland, but that was my own fault for not adding some of the seasonings they recommended in the recipe introduction.

• Like 1

Carbonara following that video joethefoodie linked to a week or so back. I had always used Marcella's recipe, but I have to say, the “true” Roman version really is better.

which video?! oy.

• Like 1

Thank you.

I'm not the hugest carbonara fan (I'll leave that to Significant Eater), much preferring the simpler cacio e pepe. But it never ceases to amaze me how these simplest of recipes lead to so many iterations, and how varied the final product may be.

Mrs. P made wild caught bigeye tuna (from Local 130 Seafood) two ways; tartare and black and white sesame seed crusted. We had sugar snap peas, snow peas, seaweed, ginger, soy, and wasabi on the side. The tartare was mixed with avocado, red onions, toasted black and white sesame seeds, and soy sauce.

rIJsSALh.jpg

UvmXr8Yh.jpg

gdvb8i4h.jpg

n7FCU3Sh.jpg

• Like 3

Definitely feels like spring.

Yesterday roasted a chicken with tarragon butter under the skin, stuffed with lemon, basted with dijon towards the end. Served with iceberg lettuce wedges (don't judge) and a yogurt/fines herbs dressing from Michael Roux (RIP). 

Today first white asparagus of the season with new potatoes, sauce béarnaise (Michael Roux again), and a fancy piece of whole smoked salmon filet. Kids had the potatoes with fish sticks (I said don't judge!) 

Strawberries for dessert. 

• Like 1