Vanessa

Supper

Last night's pork chop from Fossil Farms (cooked in my well used Mauviel skillet) served with Blackberry Farm Smoked Onion Jam and a Hasselback potato. 1997 Allegrini La Poja to drink. 

mFG0viPgQ4iR2VW-Nn0pUw?viewBox=1103%2C827&ownerId=A3PRN768JS1S4I

• Like 1

White asparagus vinaigrette for the adults. Fusilli with ham, peas and cream for everybody.

• Like 1

Because it was so hot yesterday, dinner was light--a stir-fry with green and purple snap peas, red pepper, onion, quinoa, and various herbs, topped with a soft-boiled egg.  Today is cooler, so N is making Greek-style grilled lamb chops, RG flageolets, and something with eggplant and red pepper.  We have a bottle of this strong stout with rum that we got from our local brewery's closeout sale, so dessert will be beer floats with vanilla ice cream.

Sautéed spinach with shallot along with Seared Hokkaido Scallops with butter and lemon and basil. Scallops from Browne Trading. They are spectacular.

22 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

That is (or rather was) one DEFINITIVE black bass.

it was my in my thoughts when I picked up a two pounder at the farmers market.. I am thinking about doing some sort of middle easter style bo sam.. Like harissa rub, lettuce raps, tahini, babaganoush, some sort of pickled vegetable. 

Friday, I undertook a fairly laborious process of making meatballs. As well as gravy for said meatballs, and gravy for pasta without meatballs. I haven't made meatballs in a long time. They're more work than I remember.

Took equal parts of ground pork and beef and mixed it with sautéed onion and garlic, various seasonings, soaked bread crumbs from some house bread, grated pecorino and parmesan, 2 eggs, and some freshly chopped parsley. I fried up a little piece to taste and correct the seasoning; done, the first batch of meatballs went in, but they weren't able to stay balls...too soft. I'm all out of bread crumbs and bread to make bread crumbs, but remember there's matzo meal in the pantry. Out comes the matzo meal, added like 1/4 c to the meat mixture, let it sit for 15 minutes and bang...that worked much better.

314117347_Meatballsbrowning05-08.jpeg.a46238e1f3107cf757ca57ecbb986006.jpeg

Still a little flat, but no problem there; what's it being served to, some high-falutin customer? My sugo di carne is generally pretty rich with pork and/or beef, and cooking the meatballs in this sauce really made it so. The meatballs didn't go into the sauce (Gustiamo tomatoes, mirepoix, red wine) until the sauce had cooked for an hour and a half; when they were added, it cooked for another hour at least...

815142872_Meatballsingravy05-08.jpeg.aa8855f7ae0cacb2dc86eaaa42d3e328.jpeg

Sauce was pretty intense, so much so that it was thinned out with some stock for serving.  There were enough meatballs to feed like a family of 8; 12 of them went immediately into what little freezer space that's left. And for dinner, alongside some carrot salad with beets, Significant Eater's fave...

1332525608_Meatballsandpasta05-08.jpeg.94c6fff263de6ee07cbf180f3592cd93.jpeg

Sedani con sugo di carne.  And a meatball.

Lidia made that yesterday on her PBS show but with spaghetti. She surprisingly did not soak her bread crumbs.

Going to do that during the week with turkey meatballs and farro pasta to cut down on a few calories.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Behemoth said:

Now I'm kind of craving Königsberger Klöpse. I wonder if anyone else in the house would eat them. 

Me!  At Cafe Katja, there are Austrian meatballs on the menu; I believe they're 100% fatty pork plus whatever add-ins and served with a smooth white sauce. So good.

1 hour ago, mitchells said:

Lidia made that yesterday on her PBS show but with spaghetti. She surprisingly did not soak her bread crumbs.

Going to do that during the week with turkey meatballs and farro pasta to cut down on a few calories.  

I consulted a number of sources, including living people. Soaked vs. not soaked. Soaked in milk vs. soaked in water.  These were soaked in water and squeezed dry, but the matzo meal added later was just added and allowed to, I dunno, autolyse.

German soul food basically: marinated lamb skewers, greek yogurt with lots of fresh herbs, a tomato, onion, and thyme salad. Bratkartoffel (aka leftover boiled potatoes, peeled, sliced and fried.) 

So I ordered a bunch of fish from Browne Trading  for Mothers Day which was supposed to be delivered Friday. Friday afternoon I get the dreaded email from UPS that my shipment was going to be delayed until Monday. Some frozen stuff but fresh scallops, tuna and caviar and dreading what will happen to that over the weekend. Customer Service from Browne is excellent and they told me they'd refund everything if it comes Monday. 

Well, I need ingredients for Mothers Day and so on Saturday I  go to our local fish store which happens to be very good and I buy more tuna and scallops and salmon just because it looks so good. When I get home on Saturday the UPS truck shows up with the Browne shipment. I now have 4 lbs of tuna and 3 lbs of scallops. 

Tonight was spicy tuna on crispy rice, tuna tartare with avocado, quail egg and caviar, and Nobu's new style sashimi with tuna, salmon and scallops. . Still 1 1/2 lb of tuna leftover and 1/2 lb of scallops plus 1/2 lb of salmon. 

Redo tomorrow night.....

Beef and Guinness stew with potatoes, carrots, and fava beans.  Safeway has a surprising amount of grass-fed meat, including Australian lamb.