Vanessa

Supper

5 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Photos like Voyager's is why I will never, ever share photos of my suppers. 

You don't peel your asparagus?

I'm not sharing any photos of last night's dinner either. I didn't take any, because...Franks and Beans! Side salad. Sometimes that sweet sodium fix is just what the doctor ordered. In this case, not the cardiologist, obviously.

Thanks, guys.   But I am just hopelessly hooked on how beautiful food is.     E.g., joe's recent artichoke a gallery quality.    

• Like 1

I still can't find bread flour anywhere, so I got some 00 flour and made pizza from the Roberta's recipe for the first time (I usually use Leahy's). I was worried the dough would be hard to work with, 'cause it's so wet, but I floured up good and things went fine. Just a basic pie - tomatoes, white mushrooms and one leftover morel, mozzarella from Valley Shepherd, oregano, parm. I didn't refrigerate it overnight, but I think I will next time, to see if I can get it to puff up more.

IMG_4113.jpg.e79d0787a383b1f712e4f964321c53f2.jpg

• Like 2

Because it's going to be hot here over the next several days, N has been preparing fish in ways that we can have chilled or room temperature.  We got beautiful salmon roast and cod fillets from the farmer's market yesterday; this vendor has wonderful, rich salmon in particular.  Last night, N gave the salmon a dry rub (brown sugar, salt, pepper, Spanish paprika, and a pinch of dry mustard) and smoked it over apple wood.  We let it cool on the counter and then put it in the fridge; today, she's going to make a salad and RG green French lentils to go with it, and we have a Spanish rose on ice.  (Dessert will be store-bought chocolate cream pie.)  Tonight, she's going to pickle the cod South African style, in a curry with onions, so that we can have it tomorrow evening.

Stephanie, you live so very well!    Reading your, and I might add Sneak's, crazy  nightly fare regularly humbles me.   

Fried Mexican cheese, pickles, house olives

144867846_photo2-4.thumb.JPG.452789e5ea62c2a9e976fd43c0df5322.JPG

Broccoli beef

380259022_photo1-4.thumb.JPG.c84dfff595d234479b78a2bda25ea410.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, voyager said:

Stephanie, you live so very well!    Reading your, and I might add Sneak's, crazy  nightly fare regularly humbles me.   

Aw, thank you!  We have been having more modest meals than these, including takeout.

I think mine -- unlike Stephanie and N's -- probably read better than they eat, FWIW.

• Like 1

612319952_Porkchopdinner05-24IMG_1051.jpeg.ca4c3dc9bd4dd7b12662e2c909f60764.jpeg]\

"Heritage pork" pork chop, seared and braised. Then made a ramp butter, mustard, white wine, chicken stock pan sauce. Was good. Some well-cooked broccoli di cicco alongside. KETO!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 11:43 AM, small h said:

I still can't find bread flour anywhere,

Baker's Authority. Current sale thru the end of the month. And if you have the room, 50 lb. bags are a great buy.

King Arthur also has.

I finally found a 1lb, $5.99 bag of King Arthur at Essex Market, and thanks for the tip re Baker's Authority. I don't know where I'd put a 50lb bag, though. Maybe I'll get a big trash can and put it out on the balcony, like my dad did when he started buying high gluten flour to make bagels and had to buy 100lbs at a time (that was the minimum, back in the day).

On 5/8/2020 at 5:06 PM, Daniel said:

i would say for a few reasons.. But, i dont think they are difficult at all.. I mean, i kind of feel a sort of love for the guy...  There is definitely a way to do things as far as I am concerned.  If anything he is as opinionated about things as I am.. I think we would have a lovely time being absolutely picky bastards together.  He can pick the wine and we can just talk shit all night.   But truly, to have his knowledge and to have lived in America at the time he did, I understand stand why he left.. If I would have had the same culinary knowledge that I do now, 50 years ago, I would have left too. 

This is good about Richard Olney.

Meatless Monday continued into dinner last night.

859478550_Beansvaqueros05-25.jpeg.d790264378c380e353c2242e16c5082f.jpeg

Rancho Gordo Vaquero beans, simply cooked, on a surprisingly good tortilla, with pickled red onions and RG hot sauce. With a beautiful, giant artichoke that was sorta braised in a nice court bouillon.

The tortillas come from some hippie place in Burlington, strangely called the Vermont Tortilla Company.