@Evelyn - it only really grows in coastal south FL, and even then if there's a really cold winter night it may drop all its fruit, plus if it ever freezes (I think last time was 10 years ago) then the tree is gone unless it's covered.

• Like 1
  • Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Sort of a Mexican roast chicken with a whole bird marinated in cilantro, lime, garlic and roasted poblano peppers. Roasted over onion, carrot, potatoes, garlic and raw poblanos.  Spooned extra marinade (that never touched the chicken) into the pan juices which made a nice sauce. With really beautiful rainbow chard and spring garlic from the CSA. 

Tonight will be Italian Steakhouse dinner with bistecca alla fiorentina with broccolini. Burrata, roasted peppers and favas to start.  Will have to go with Negronis for a pre-dinner cocktail. 

• Like 1

Last night, Miss A and I walked for about 4 hours... We made it to Paulie G's at 9:10, they closed at 9.. We walked back home and arrived around 10 pm... I took last the curry from the day before.. I added mushrooms and a squash to the list of vegetables.. .Also, some fresh basil, lime, salt.. Cooked that for a bit, served over korean rice cakes. 

On 6/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, mitchells said:

Sort of a Mexican roast chicken with a whole bird marinated in cilantro, lime, garlic and roasted poblano peppers. Roasted over onion, carrot, potatoes, garlic and raw poblanos.  Spooned extra marinade (that never touched the chicken) into the pan juices which made a nice sauce. With really beautiful rainbow chard and spring garlic from the CSA. 

Tonight will be Italian Steakhouse dinner with bistecca alla fiorentina with broccolini. Burrata, roasted peppers and favas to start.  Will have to go with Negronis for a pre-dinner cocktail. 

I'm planning to move in, you know. 

Made a few things tonight... Eating plant based, it's a lot less structured than eating omnivorously..  But, I made a large thing of chickpea masala, i roasted some eggplants and used a peanut dressing I had made,  I marinated tofu and grilled and put in lettuce wraps with toasted ground rice, ginger, sauce, hot pepper.  Also made this indian potato dish with these beautiful potatoes purchased at the green market.  Aloo jeera it was called or jeera aloo.. Basically cumin seeds cooked in oil with smashed coriander, then ginger, jalapenos, a little water, salt and cilantro. It all turned out really good.. i have leftovers.  

Roasted the eggplant for a bit, flipped, roasted more.. then split and mashed then added a peanut dressing and let cook more.

50010813273_5bc47f3585_z.jpg

I loved this dish...  A little lemon at the end. 

50010813258_c6b5005ba0_z.jpg

I use the spice packet from a spice guy out here.. Very  easy.. I had cooked the beans on saturday and left them in the fridge... I had used some for a salad the other day.. Used about 3/4 of them in this dish... Lunch for three leftovers.  But yeh, just start with ginger, garlic, onion, tomatoes, then the spice packet and eventually the beans. 

50011606997_c488688f33_z.jpg

Tofu wraps.. I have two types of butter lettuce from the green market, this purple lettuce, then a grilled marinated piece of tofu, ginger, jalapeno. then peanut sauce and toasted rice powder.. The bride loved this

50011346711_c054432028_z.jpg

I have a lot of rice powder now.. need to start finding ways to use. 

pre powder 

50011346636_9558f67ea2_z.jpg

Edited 24 minutes ago by BKEats (log)

Yesterday was fish fragrant eggplant, soy-maple tofu with sesame salt, and brown rice. I don't know why but our super normal mainstream supermarket is carrying the best produce these days. Perfect locally grown(!) Japanese eggplant. 

2028381715_Ducklegroasted06-14IMG_1273.jpeg.6452bb7c8c26fd9b7d4959ac792d64e4.jpeg

CSO roasted a couple of duck legs for about 2.5 hours at 275℉, cranked to 375℉ for the last 15 minutes to crisp them up. These are giant sized legs I got with an order from DeBraggga, at the height of my panicdemic buying. And they are delicious - no special prep here, just into a tight casserole, well salted and peppered, atop a couple of garlic cloves and bay leaves. Purely ducky. Served with these...

979997297_PotatomushroomCatalanstyle06-14IMG_1268.jpeg.a542945df3143f2ee0a5a1d859bae5f4.jpeg

The Catalan-ish recipe I messed with from Colman Andrews' book, Catalan Cuisine, was for morels and potatoes. Here I only had some cremini and shitake, and they worked well. I also add some saffron, use stock in lieu of water, some pimenton, etc. etc. Normally, I'd cook these in a cazuela; that, however, was the suitably sized one for the duck, so not available!

• Like 1