Vanessa

Supper

1004101721_Cacik07-24.jpeg.5be26691dbc9ba3306161d4cbeae5ca6.jpeg

Cacik.

2097200558_Saladandcrisps07-23.jpeg.cad384039e1bfe01dae64db7abf2ff00.jpeg

Salad with feta, olives, etc. Dressed in the Sneakeater style. Za'atar pita crisps.

We'd had a big lunch, so this was all it took - followed by dessert, which I feel less guilty about eating when I have a dinner like this.

• Like 1

You just had to go all fancy on us.    You could have just said tzatziki and I wouldn't had had to Google cacik.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voyager said:

You just had to go all fancy on us.    You could have just said tzatziki and I wouldn't had had to Google cacik.

I had to google tzatziki.

• Haha 1

Summer on a plate. Grilled swordfish topped with a dollop of garlic scape pesto with a few cut up sungolds. Corn, tomato, red onion, chile and basil relish on the side. Grilled scallion thrown everywhere. 

South African-style lasagna, one of N's childhood memories.  You use ground beef, lots of vegetables (including broccoli and cauliflower, and sometimes mushrooms), and a white sauce in between the noodle layers, then put shredded Cheddar cheese all over the top.  It's definitely not the Italian-American variety.

I get the comfort food aspect of it.  One of my favorite baked casseroles growing up involves the combination of ground beef, spaghetti cooked past al dente, and canned mushrooms and those Le Sueur peas.  I could (and can) eat tons of it.  And it would lose something if you tried to fancy it up.

1 minute ago, StephanieL said:

I get the comfort food aspect    And it would lose something if you tried to fancy it up.

Absolutely true of most “tastes of home.”

so last night, i ripped the husk of the corn back, i added basil, honey and a little margarine, salt and pepper.... grilled with the husk up and then opened... it was delicious... 

On 7/20/2020 at 2:08 PM, Orik said:

About a week is good for a savory but not terribly pungent result and quite good soft but not mushy cheese texture. Three weeks results are very cheesy already and I haven't tried several months. I don't know that 8 hours would do anything but flavor the surface.

I opened up one of my two pieces of tofu misozuke. It does have a mozzarella-like texture, but it doesn't seem fermented at all - just salty from the miso. I'll let the other piece sit around for another two weeks and see what's what. It's possible my kitchen has a hex on it, because the cucumber pickles I started on Saturday are very slow to ferment, and I have an avocado that refuses to soften. So that might be part of the problem.

i prepped out lunches for the week.. I made another seitan loaf, i made a chana masala, some rice, i made lentils, quinoa, roasted tomtoes,  eggplant, cooked string beans.. Just so I have a bunch of things in play for quick meals.. I usually come home from work hungry and have to start the cooking process.. Here I just have things to grab before I make poor and quick decisions. 

I went to the Patel Bro's Grocery store in Queens the other day... For those of you not aware of it's existence,  it's 57 grocery store chain across 19 states... It's an Indian owned and operated and has a wide variety of Indian food.. I did a fairly big shop and just bought things to try and experiment.   

Last nights was this mix.. I added fresh tomatoes, a little jarred sauce, extra mango powder,  bay leaf, black pepper and I used chickpeas that I had previously cooked from dry beans. I was very tempted to add coconut milk but, i wanted to just try the traditional way.. Or what this spice packet sees as original... Since eating certain prepared indian foods, I have noticed that I enjoy the mango powder quite a bit.. This chana masala has mango powder and tomato powder. 

p6wZb3J.jpg 

Simple rice, heated in the microwave at work.. ready to eat in a moments.  I have had much worse in restaurants. 

m0aA3UV.jpg?1 

next up, we will give this brand a whirl

kiww9Au.jpg

• Like 1

A few recent dinners:

1366671765_Porkpansaucecoleslawetc.07-27.jpeg.279e6fab040c0e00414d84b65aa36d77.jpeg

Pan roasted pork chop removed from bone, sliced with pan sauce. Sautéed spinach. Cole slaw. Potato salad.

1429460475_Porkstirfrywithbroccoli07-28.jpeg.5f9f006658230d53168dc25b1a393f72.jpeg

The 2nd pork chop used in a stir fry with broccoli, trumpet mushrooms and shitake. Jasmine rice.

1800121775_Gemellialpesto07-28.jpeg.529a3044a5962d99d3cc2f3470f4ce25.jpeg

Gemelli al pesto. Spinaci.

I ate chana masala on two separate occasions yesterday, happily.. I had it straight away for breakfast, then I had it when I got home from work.... Then I drank a half a liter of wine, some sort of Rose with the neighbors on our respective stoops, then I boiled green beans in salted water... While they were hot, i added two diced garlic cloves, a squeeze of lemon, olive oil, a mixed handful chiffonade of basil, both thai and globe.  Served that with the end of the basmati rice.  

I got on the scale this morning and noticed some movement in the positive direction.  Still feeling great.  Every time I consider returning to my omnivorous former life,  I am met with a sort of lethargy.  I don't feel like I am denying myself, I don't feel like I am on a diet per se.  I don't know, am I going to be vegan forever? Where in prior times I always would see an end in site, I guess I will eat meat or fish again, or cheese, I just am not in a hurry..   I may have had a gummy bear the other day of a certain medicinal variety that may have had gelatin.  I was ok with that. 

55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I may have had a gummy bear the other day of a certain medicinal variety that may have had gelatin.  I was ok with that. 

Dude...

IMG_1785.jpeg.9e08e723855aa915c38350bf42f1e459.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I got on the scale this morning and noticed some movement in the positive direction.  Still feeling great.  Every time I consider returning to my omnivorous former life,  I am met with a sort of lethargy.  I don't feel like I am denying myself, I don't feel like I am on a diet per se.  I don't know, am I going to be vegan forever? Where in prior times I always would see an end in site, I guess I will eat meat or fish again, or cheese, I just am not in a hurry.. 

I know this feeling.    I think it is a kind of anorexia one acquires/falls into when on a prolonged. SUCCESSFUL weight loss regime.    I have at times totally lost interest in foods that I was avoiding or limiting.    Eyes on the prize etc.