38 minutes ago, voyager said:

Run of the mill ice cream is a prime example.    Eat a pint and it's been no great pleasure.    Several tablespoons of great artisan or excellent homemade and you're content.   

Yep. My ingredient cost to make Milk Chocolate Guinness Ice Cream was close to $20 to make a quart (this does not include the cost of my time). Spouse thought it was crazy, but frankly - I'm never going to get that flavor retail. Not will you get the quality of ingredients.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Tonight I made yellow split peas with ginger, garlic, jalapenos, tomatoes, tomato paste, garam masala, sriracha and this spice mix from Kaluystans.  Cooked for about 30 or 40 minutes.. I also made brown rice, I had leftover green beans that had been boiled in salt water, tossed in garlic, lemon, basils, olive oil, I served that cold.. Also made a salad from carrot, fennel, onion, lemon, jalapeno, red pepper flakes and salt.  

It was really good. living on the edge, i added a little five spice at the end. 

50172129487_e675e81f55.jpg

50171872936_8d3467b99e_z.jpg

3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

My attitude is that if one can afford it, there's a middle ground between eating factory-farmed meat (thus perpetuating those horrible practices) and going vegetarian/vegan.  Eat less meat, and make sure what you do buy has been raised well.  Same goes for fish, if one mostly eats shellfish and smaller, more plentiful fish like sardines.

at the same time, eating vegan is super cheap. I can live on a bag of beans and some rice for several days.  And if you were to make sietan, you can make about 65 sandwiches, for about 20 dollars.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

at the same time, eating vegan is super cheap. I can live on a bag of beans and some rice for several days.  And if you were to make sietan, you can make about 65 sandwiches, for about 20 dollars.

Well, certainly one could live on that.

But where's the pleasure?

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Well, certainly one could live on that.

But where's the pleasure?

This sandwich is better than 75 percent of the sandwiches I have eaten...  I literally look forward to eating a Seitan sandwich of some kind, at least once a day... On top of that, I have zero will power, so the second I am denying myself something, this vegan thing is going out the window. 

50151533617_86a4516bd2_z.jpg

And I know this is a food board and you are a great cook and food is important to us all here... But the majority of the arguments, the real vegan trolling comes from these fast food eating, microwave meal having people that will throw a pack of bubba's frozen patties from cosco onto a grill and act like they are Julia Childs.. Or that they are these gourmands or health professionals that are concerned about one's protein intake, as they eat a big mac for lunch..   Of course there is no pleasure in eating 65 of the same sandwiches.. But, what I was trying to convey was, one can eat a vegan lifestyle and be a lot more frugal than meat eating counterparts.  

I can see a huge savings, which was not intended, while going vegan.. I mean, my usual diet consisted of 40 dollar a pound steaks and 15 dollar a pound fish, 30 dollar a pound cheese and the list goes on.  I can buy a bag of Seitan for 14 bucks and have enough protein to make 65 sandwiches... I was just addressing the economics..  

I can also say, that in terms of pleasure, which I derive from both the process of cooking and its end results, it has been rewarding.. Where as often times one can get caught in a routine where the protein is the main focus to be set a top, or lay awkwardly next to some uninspired veg,  it actually is more of a challenge.. My favorite way to cook vegan food is having several different dishes going, kind of like the thanksgiving theory and we all know, the worst thing at thanksgiving is the turkey. But, a variety of temps, textures and flavors.. Much better eating the same bites repeatedly through out a meal. I personally think it is at the very least a great exercise and a wonderful way to improve ones cooking skills.. 

I want to say, due to being a different kind of hungry, due to feeling better, due to the variety of possibilities, at this point I am deriving more pleasure from eating vegan than I would not. 

Sure, I get that - but please don't make it sound as if we (omnivores) are all destroying the planet because we are having a roast chicken for dinner.

Remember, not all fruit, vegetables, wheat or beans are grown in accordance with best practices either.  It's all about making choices, be they for a vegan diet or not.

eh. while its undoubtedly true that there are lots of bad farming practices out there, in terms of pure environmental impact nothing comes close to scale commodity meat production.

And yeah, I can get my chicken from a biodynamic farmer who cares about husbandry practices and raises heritage breeds, that doesn't mean I'm not culpable in perpetuating a culture that eats too much meat.

I think to pretend for someone like us adopting a vegan diet isn't better for the world is just denialism, but I mean we don't always do the altruistic thing and we shouldn't feel too bad about that...

We;re all a little but hypocritical aren't we (he says while typing this from a town with exclusionary zoning, while contemplating if he's going to pick a fight with a blue lives matter cousin at a 16th birthday party on Sunday)

34 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

We;re all a little but hypocritical aren't we (he says while typing this from a town with exclusionary zoning, while contemplating if he's going to pick a fight with a blue lives matter cousin at a 16th birthday party on Sunday)

I certainly wouldn't bring a gift... As "all birthdays matter"  and it wouldn't be right to single out just one.  Maybe take a knee during the happy birthday song. 

1 hour ago, Anthony Bonner said:

(he says while typing this from a town with exclusionary zoning, while contemplating if he's going to pick a fight with a blue lives matter cousin at a 16th birthday party on Sunday)

image.png.882e09d1a50d619ee17d9cc87fe56289.png

There's a whole movie about this controversy.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I think to pretend for someone like us adopting a vegan diet isn't better for the world is just denialism, but I mean we don't always do the altruistic thing and we shouldn't feel too bad about that...

Realistically the only thing to do is develop a much cleaner, much more powerful source of energy. Everything else is entertainment. 

4 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

eh. while its undoubtedly true that there are lots of bad farming practices out there, in terms of pure environmental impact nothing comes close to scale commodity meat production.

And yeah, I can get my chicken from a biodynamic farmer who cares about husbandry practices and raises heritage breeds, that doesn't mean I'm not culpable in perpetuating a culture that eats too much meat.

I almost agree with this, and certainly we don't always to what's right.

But let's say going vegan is the right thing to do. The next step in ethics is surely to universalize that: if it's the right thing for me to do, it's the right thing for everyone to do (there may be some exceptions for health conditions, but that doesn't matter).

It's worth thinking through the consequences. First of all, it would be bad for farm-raised animals, which would all need to be slaughtered. Then it would have enormous impact, obviously, on the meat farming industry, and ancillary industries, as well as on retail. But it would also impact mixed farming, which I believe is the predominant form of commercial farming in the U.S.

Environmental benefits might ultimately outweigh these considerations, but the calculation has to be made. This is not to say that any individual shouldn't go vegan, just to point out the consequences of saying that going vegan is what everyone should do.

(I am constantly surprised that vegans seem to think universal veganism would help animals.)

5 hours ago, mitchells said:

I don't know how to do a poll but who doesn't think Daniel was more fun when he was eating bacon?

and you all didn't like me that much before. 

I spent a fair amount of time in the kitchen yesterday. Not as much as the pros on here, obviously, but still; I thought it was gonna be cool, but still; it wasn't that cool. It was an Asian food cooking day.

634279979_Chilioilandscalliongingeroil07-31.jpeg.2212aeedc7062f7e941e3cb92920ce65.jpeg

Gotta start with making two condimenti; Sichuan chili oil, using two of the chilies I just got from MaLa Project (and fancy sunflower oil). As well as the classic scallion/ginger oil.

Shortcuts are taken, because why the fuck not?

302056555_TwinMarquisroundwrappers07-31IMG_1795.jpeg.ece2d6bbdefe6a0f34267d1489102a19.jpeg

I am not as fast as the people on Eldridge Street, but eventually...

1556648000_Dumplingfolding07-31.jpeg.25cf041e22c80c85dbab3cd1c05b99e7.jpeg

By the way, vis-a-vis economics @Daniel - 60+ dumplings using humanely raised pork - about $9 worth of ingredients (forget about how much time it took) - though I worry about how the scallions were treated.

I can't make pretty dumplings (yet) even though I watched like 7 videos. They just won't do what they are supposed to do. I'm blaming the wrappers. 

902649003_Dumplingspanfried07-31.jpeg.8b97ca161fac6ab3eefc3e29d803ac2c.jpeg

But pan fried, these were very delicious.

My ode to veganism:

1946676803_Sicuanstylecucumbersalad07-31.jpeg.43fb44a99855acf0654170d812c5352d.jpeg

Sichuan style smashed cucumber salad.

And my ode to almost vegetarianism (if it weren't for the bacon and chicken stock):

176104342_Hunanstylecauliflowerandmushrooms07-31.jpeg.d6de8753976b8bf35ef62fe4ac9088d8.jpeg

Hunan style cauliflower and mushroom stir fry.

No rice was harmed for this dinner.

P.S. the 3 dishes above - now I'm not saying I can cook Guan Fu's whole menu, but the 3 dishes above - probably as good as any restaurant around here or in Queens, and other than the dumpling wrappers, probably made with better quality ingredients.

• Thanks 1