This is what happens to the elegant austerity of Japanese cuisine in the hands of someone who honed her plating skills at the Sizzler salad bar in Eatontown, NJ. There's some soba in there, but you'd never know it!

IMG_4863.jpg.7ef42d127fa8def2c8ea50b70f269567.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Want.    joe, those dumplings look nicely formed to me.    This is a meal we really hanker for as we still won't buy takeout that waits only some half dozen blocks away.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, voyager said:

Want.    joe, those dumplings look nicely formed to me.    This is a meal we really hanker for as we still won't buy takeout that waits only some half dozen blocks away.

Thanks (but, but, but - the pleats!)... and neither will I.  And Wu's is only a block! (But they don't do Szechuan, nor Hunan). The first place I ever had great Hunan food was the original Hunan Restaurant, on Kearney, before Henry and his wife first grew to other locations. Believe me, it was hard to go for Hunan food, when Sam Wo's was just a few blocks away! Though Sam Wo's was the late night place.

In 1974, to serve the food they’d grown up eating, they opened a 36-seat Hunan restaurant at 853 Kearny St. in Chinatown. 

It was probably the first place I tasted the amazing smoked products of Hunanese cooking. And evidently, it's good for you...

Last Sunday (April, 2017 - ed.), legendary chef and businessman Henry Chung passed away in his Richmond District home at the age of 99...

RIP, Henry.

• Like 1

Ah, Sam Wo's.    When son was at school, he would take late afternoon flights home, arriving here around mid-night,    En route from the airport, he would ask to hit either Pancho Villa on 16th St for his first decent burrito in months, or Sam Wo's.   

• Like 1
On 7/31/2020 at 3:25 PM, Wilfrid said:

(I am constantly surprised that vegans seem to think universal veganism would help animals.)

The best outcome is of course universal acceptance of veganism, coupled with universal recognition that having children before the ecological issues are resolved is immoral. 

But another perspective is that beliefs that are inherently guaranteed a niche following are easier to sustain than ones that can actually be successful if universally adopted. e.g. if everyone who consumes too many calories stops doing that, the environmental benefits will be huge, of course, and it is clearly the moral thing to do, and yet you will not be able to sell that as the basis for a moral / environmental movement.

50177772092_aef26ba810_z.jpg

50177772412_bcedf64cf2_z.jpg

Mix platter from green market:
1)three types of lettuce with carrots in a Chinese mustard,sesame oil, lemon, sweet soy dressing
2)green beans boiled in salt water and lemon with a preserved garlic oil
3)roasted sweet potatoes with mustard seed and whole cumin seed and ginger
4)chana masala
5)and IndoChinese yellow split pea daal with 5 spice
6)whole boiled potatoes with a carrot top and cashew pesto. tossed hot.  The guy at the market will give you as many carrot tops as you want
7)brown rice cooked with cardamom

Then some roasted tomatoes, onions and dill with garlic and oil.. 220 for a few hours. 

50177522121_cf65fb7fa5_z.jpg

4 hours ago, voyager said:

Interesting.   As in What if the 1st World consumed EVERYTHING in moderation?

It doesn't even need to be moderation, just not sheer insanity. And it's the first, second, and most of the third world by now. But the point is that asking everyone for a moderate change is not viewed as ideologically interesting, whereas asking everyone to follow an extreme ideology knowing full well that only a few will do so, works. 

image.thumb.png.b07bea3c4e80179be017175d6b418923.png