All the brown foods...Carry the ne-ews!

Cool stuff for a warm day. Avocado and corn soup. Chickpea salad. Spicy eggplant and oyster mushrooms. Balcony sungold tomatoes. Pickles (kitchen curse has been lifted, apparently).

IMG_4897.jpg.bf05b8e6900a78a287e06aa148d83dff.jpg

• Replies 20.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

I made pizza yesterday... Stretched the dough over a cast iron plancha... I covered the bottom in olive oil, the other side I covered in spicy hariss... Then I added the roasted tomatoes, onions and dill that I roughly chopped.. I also had some eggplant that I had left sitting in salt to drain.. Then cut and added to the pizza...I also added potatoes that I boiled and chopped, fresh thai basil and also a cashew ricotta and carrot top pesto. 

50176984233_49524f1423_z.jpg

The pizza was so damn good!

50180321058_21a5de3400_z.jpg

50180321288_c4751c7de5_z.jpg

50180869156_60f689188e_z.jpg

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I made pizza yesterday... Stretched the dough over a cast iron plancha... I covered the bottom in olive oil, the other side I covered in spicy hariss... Then I added the roasted tomatoes, onions and dill that I roughly chopped.. I also had some eggplant that I had left sitting in salt to drain.. Then cut and added to the pizza...I also added potatoes that I boiled and chopped, fresh thai basil and also a cashew ricotta and carrot top pesto. 

You stretched the dough right on the plancha? So the plancha wasn't preheated? And then the whole thing - did you put it on a grill or in the oven?

Looks good for this style of pizza 😂 !

• Like 1
17 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

You stretched the dough right on the plancha? So the plancha wasn't preheated? And then the whole thing - did you put it on a grill or in the oven?

Looks good for this style of pizza 😂 !

Thank you buddy!  I really have been surprising myself with not only how good everything is but how pretty it has looked 

PLANCHA WAS NOT PREHEATED.. Stretched over the plancha, then covered the one side with olive oil, then flipped it so the olive oil side was down.. the rubbed the harissa from taim over the side now facing up... Then did the chopped tomatoes, onions, dill...The eggplant, I had on a wire rack for maybe three hours.. Salting and drying with a tea towel every so often... Then just some carrot tops from the green market mixed with basil, garlic, cashews, salt and lemon. and some boiled potatoes that were chopped.

• Like 1

Classic moules marinieres, with just-baked bread (we had to cut into it while it was still warm), with a South African sauvignon blanc to drink that had been used in the broth.  Assorted cheeses to start; ice cream for dessert.

Tonight's dinner is going to be a stew with green beans, potatoes, and lamb shoulder that the local butcher graciously cut into pieces so that N could have the chunks with the bones that she wanted.  We'll have one of the Lagunitas brews to drink, either 12th of Never or Lil' Sumpin' Hazy, and I've been told there will be lemon custard for dessert.

A new food hall just opened in the town next door, run by the people who run the Alameda Marketplace with some of the same stores, including Baron's Meats and Poultry.  They also carry seafood, so we got both the mussels and lamb from them.  If you have the scratch, you can buy a side of dry-aged Niman Ranch beef: about 40 lb. of meat at $14.99/lb.  They'll then keep it in the case and cut off steaks for you as you need them. 

After a day (Friday) spent making dumplings, Szechuan, and Hunan food, Saturday night meant...

720424192_Donabericesalmontomato08-01.jpeg.be615302bf8032be75eb269507957460.jpeg

A simple Japanese-style dinner. Rice in the donabe (note the small amount of socarrat), slow roasted Copper river salmon, a tomato atop red shiso leaves.

Sunday was another prep day, to try and use up some of the crazy amount of herbs in the fridge. So...

473551678_Mezzeandfrankfurter08-02.jpeg.2548f9a66cbd4ff3cdbfd105284c9a8f.jpeg

Mezze platters. Baba ghanoush. Tzatziki (not cacik this time). Olives. Crudité. Tabbouleh. A frankfurter and mustard. Baguette.

cooked a cauliflower in some oil that I had thrown some cumin seed into.  Then tossed with some carrots I had quickly boiled for a bit.  Added a jarred sauce of some sort that I bought at Patel Bro's. Just a bit, it was ok, i then just threw some garam masala in there too, deglazed the pan a bit and cooked down until the sauce was sticky.. I was supposed to add coconut milk but, i didn't have any, so I added some water.   Made a side of brown basmati rice and a salad. 

Pretty good:

50187878388_8cbaf14d6e_z.jpg

Lacking a plancha, might we make a thin calzone by squishing the dough in our George Foreman "grill"? I just rediscovered it in a cabinet. And cleaned it for the first time since before we'd packed it in 2016. It took two hours. We must've just thrown it in a box.

Last night was my birthday dinner, Peruvian tapas from south Park Slope's Surfish Bistro, whose lovely dining room is on such a desolate border-of-nowhere block that it must now be doing better business with delivery than it ever did in-house. We had:

Shrimp-/crab-/goat-cheese-stuffed zucchini in creamy chile sauce
Grilled octopus in a vinaigrette w/ baby potato, baby greens, and petals
A big tamale w/ shrimp chunks in smoky panca chile sauce (the filling maybe starchy Peruvian choclo corn; I would've guessed potato; still excellent)
Cubed tuna tossed w/ grilled pineapple and ginger/lime/scallions; officially a ceviche, but more like sashimi salad
Salmon tartare w/ beety whipped potato and milky/spicy rocoto chile sauce

And our first delivered drinks of the apocalypse, a basic margarita for me and a red sangria w/ requisite fruit chunks for her that reminded me of being a tween at my dad's marina open-house parties, "helping" with the punchbowls of Yago jug wine + "natural fruit flavors." My grown-up liquor supply is now down to a few fingers of Pimm's and dark rum, and some Brooklyn wine I'd rather save for a rainy day (hm, that might be today).

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Josh Karpf said:

Lacking a plancha, might we make a thin calzone by squishing the dough in our George Foreman "grill"? I just rediscovered it in a cabinet. And cleaned it for the first time since before we'd packed it in 2016. It took two hours. We must've just thrown it in a box.

Last night was my birthday dinner,

Happy Birthday! Many more.

• Like 1

488523082_Paella08-03.jpeg.9f3c7cd3d4892e566d88802847db1ac9.jpeg

Paella last night, lacked a little oomph as I rushed it a bit...gotta really let your sofrito cook down slowly. Still good enough for a Monday night. With some steamed (possibly over steamed except for Sneakeater) cauliflower alongside.

18 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

"Over-steamed cauliflower is like "too much garlic".

Or like the other morning when I apologized for using too much butter in the hash browns.    Husband just stared at me.