12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

In at least this one case, your M-I-L is simply right (well, except for what my family called "the part that went over the fence last").

There was the story in my father's family of how, as the spoiled little brother of three sisters, the girls would all start asking for the tail, so he would start demanding it.    He, of course, got his way, while they chowed down on thigh and breast. 

• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

Roasted marrow bones with an assortment of vegetables from the garden and bread fried in the marrow fat.  Rich, but not much that was filling.

Stop right now!   I'm en route!    Bringing own plate and fork!    See you in 5!

2 hours ago, voyager said:

Stop right now!   I'm en route!    Bringing own plate and fork!    See you in 5!

I learned about marrow on a weekend afternoon in my midtwenties, on the phone with my bff, who asked what was with that clattering noise. When I said I was roasting beef bones for stock, she hung up on me.  And yes, showed up with a loaf of bread. Lots of digging needed, but delicious.

My favorite dinner party of my forties was the one that had to be canceled thanks to an emergency. All those properly split marrow bones and fresh bread and wine bought to impress? That night, all mine.

• Haha 1

Been working on a vegan picadillo... Up next is tvp and lentils... The picadillo flavoring is there, with raisins, olives, tomatoes, cumin and such... But, the protein is the issue.. I tried beyond crumbles which tasted of peas and their feisty flavoring.. The problem is, you can't penetrate the crumbles with flavor so, it's like the sauce and protein are separate.. These meat crumbles are their own independent city states of feisty flavorings. So, a bean will allow the sauce to penetrate maybe the tvp will.   Black beans with sofrito, are on point. Bay, cumin, garlic, pepper, i added some sour orange, a little vinegar, not enough for one thing to stand out.. Basic rice, avocado with a sour orange mojo and red onion.  

Was very happy with almost everything.. Need to work on the vegadillo but, right now it's still pretty damn good. 

50296488966_aa1515c743_z.jpg

Sofrito:  I have a shitty stick blender. 

50295811153_3598ca4086_z.jpg

beans, i like a brighter pepper in the beans.   i use a little more liquid than normal and strained the beans right before added the sofrito, i mixed the beans and slowly added the rest of the liquid over the course of the next 45 minutes. 

50295810793_4f9be94064_z.jpg

Everything was good in this dish but, that fake shit: cauliflower, lentils, cauliflower and lentils?, i am not hopeful for tvp..  I don't know, this fake meat market is interesting.  It's clearly not meat, it's never going to taste like meat, why are we hung up on stuff tasting like meat if it's not meat.  No one has tried to make meat resemble a vegetable.  Just call me a bean counter. 

50296646657_2423c6377b_z.jpg

IMG_2136.jpeg.7d9fd798b1c7942f1b2c4e5f54ca8985.jpeg

Chicken scarpariello.  

Two things: 

1. The sausages that are classic in this dish probably should go into the Where is It? topic. Because as much as I dug into the freezer, nada. Of course the next time the freezer is opened, they'll just jump out.

2. Lately I've taken to cutting up the weekly bird (ok, butchering it), so that a bit of stock can be made with the back, wing tips, neck, drumstick ends, keel bone (yeah, Significant Eater likes the breast), whatever.  With trimmings saved from leeks, carrots, celery, onions, etc. about 3 cups of stock are produced, which comes in very handy during the rest of the week. And then the rest of the bird gets salted (not brined) for a day or two before using. For this dish, the thighs and drums were also hacked into smaller pieces, breast left in 2 halves and removed after 10 minutes of cooking and it remains nice and juicy that way.

• Like 1

JTF and I seem to be on the same page as we had Chicken Scarp last night too.  To minimize the indoor cooking, the chicken and sausage (I found the hot italian sausage in the freezer) were first seared on the grill with the peppers and then all put into a roasting pan. I added some garlic, chicken broth and red wine vinegar and let it roast for 20 minutes or so. Everything still juicy with a little smokey tone. Served with grilled eggplant parm and a panzanella salad. (we had amazing tomatoes this week.) 

• Like 1

Taken from a video... Last night was fry night... I took the leftover picadillo and made papa rellenos with them.. This was pulled from a video.so, terrible shot but, it was kind of perfect.. simply boil waxy potatoes, rice, flatten, stuffed with picadillo, ballify.. Flour, slurry, bread crumbs, fry. 

50301653646_9afcba189e_z.jpg

I also made a green sauce was a combo of cilantro, vegan mayo, lime, vinegar, cumin jalapeno and garlic served with fried yucca or the potato.. 

Dinner with my cousin last night... Green beans boiled in salted water, tossed hot with a mint, parsley, cashew pesto... Chana masala, a mix of kale and purple chard.  Tomato broth, wine, garam masala, garlic, onion, cinnamon.  White rice.  Twice frozen and then Fried tofu cubes soaked in a mojo and then breaded.  Potatoes boiled and tossed with a peruvian green sauce, san marzano tomatoes roasted in a low oven for 2 hours with garlic and shiso.   mixed green salad with a ginger soy dressing.  I was really happy with everything all in, it took the time of the kale to cook to make everything and there is enough leftovers to last a few days.. 

I forgot to take a photo until we were cleaning up leftovers. 

50304868811_fea145e794_z.jpg

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Dinner with my cousin last night... Green beans boiled in salted water, tossed hot with a mint, parsley, cashew pesto... Chana masala, a mix of kale and purple chard.  Tomato broth, wine, garam masala, garlic, onion, cinnamon.  White rice.  Twice frozen and then Fried tofu cubes soaked in a mojo and then breaded.  Potatoes boiled and tossed with a peruvian green sauce, san marzano tomatoes roasted in a low oven for 2 hours with garlic and shiso.   mixed green salad with a ginger soy dressing.  I was really happy with everything all in, it took the time of the kale to cook to make everything and there is enough leftovers to last a few days.. 

I forgot to take a photo until we were cleaning up leftovers. 

50304868811_fea145e794_z.jpg

I am ready for your vegan cookbook

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, The Flon said:

I am ready for your vegan cookbook

ha, thanks.. 

13 minutes ago, small h said:

@Daniel How'd you make the kale? I can't seem to get away from kale slaw and creamed kale and kale salad with garlic, anchovies, lemon and parm. Looking for new ideas.

I took the kale, the purple swish chard, which was super bitter.. When I bought the chard, i was wearing a vegan tshirt, which I had ironically purchased years before I even considered going vegan.. i guess you do dress for the job you want.. I was wearing my vegan shirt and then all the farm stands young kids get all like, in to you, i have noticed.. Makes sense as a) they know the have a customer and b)You know, cause I am now a supreme being of light.   So, anyway, this woman was like,  this purple chard has all of the anitoxi-things or pro-oxy things and it's super healthy..  Despite me knowing it was going to be super bitter, i got both chard, the purple and the regular and was just down to this..

So, in a hot pan, i added an onion, some garlic, cooked that for a bit, then the chopped kale and chard. Let that go for a bit, then deglazed with wine, then added puree tomato, some garlic sriracha, some garam masala and black pepper.. At this point I usually add like a quarter stick of cinnamon but, couldnt find it so, i added chinese 5 spice.. Then maybe enough water to almost cover like 3/4 way, a punch of salt. brought to a boil reduced covered for like an hour and a half or so on low.. While this is happening, I am trying to combat the bitterness.. I add sugar, i add lemon, I add a bit of sherry, not too much as if your greens get to vinegary, it veers towards southern.  But, tomato, wine, garlic, a little hot garlic hot sauce, some sugar, some cinnamon and whatever else is laying around..I am out of paprika which I would have added, I had a little garam masala so, I added that and some chinese five spice, water, salt, boil, reduce. .. Just add as you go and try to compliment what you are serving it with..