10 minutes ago, small h said:

Tian with potato, yellow squash, red onion and tomato. It's a food! It's a craft! It's a way to use up a lot of vegetables that isn't soup! Bottom right section needs work.

IMG_5445.jpg

And carrot ginger soup made with purple carrots, which seemed like a good idea, but looks kinda scary. It's also too sweet, because carrots.

IMG_5451.jpg

Both stunning!

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

On 9/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, voyager said:

(FWIW, these Mrs. Paul's fish sticks sucked.   A couple of weeks ago, we had some Gorton's breaded fillets which were actually pretty good.   These sticks had a 'mashed, smashed and reconstructed'  texture, like McNuggets but with fish.   

Husband tends to drop strange stuff in our shopping cart, and I hate to squelch any input he makes toward the menu.)

https://thehustle.co/how-marketers-convinced-america-to-eat-fish-sticks/

• Like 1

Last night's pork tenderloin repurposed into Bolognese.    Which demanded homemade pappardelle.   All good, but realized that I'm good for three quarters of the process, at which point my back screams bloody murder.   Still, a fine plate.    Plus a quart of ragu for fridge/freezer.

IMG_0378.thumb.jpg.2f7daed93c14e65b15f8025fcc531315.jpg

An unlovely plate. An unlovely picture. A nice dinner...

363627025_Potatopancakesikurascallops09-25.jpeg.28e6e1fadf50567a9c33ac7cdaa52789.jpeg

Potato pancakes. Sour cream. Ikura. Scallops.

236637130_ChickenroastCSO09-27.jpeg.8627d008a03d6d1d695f0a3a188f68d1.jpeg

Steam-oven roasted poulet rouge. A whole bird in the little oven doesn't give you the crispy skin that, say, simply roasting a bunch of thighs does. But the chicken - nice and juicy.

Significant Eater is not a fan, as she says, of the "sinew" or what appear to her to be undercooked bits; she likes the breast. So being the great husband that I am, I remove half a breast off the bone, sorta slice it and pull it apart, and plate it.

360528100_Chickenplated09-27.jpeg.e17bf29ee09db71d859d1f303260208b.jpeg

I also poured all the roasting juices (I'd roasted the bird atop thickly sliced onions with those potatoes strewn around) into a small saucepan, added mustard, lemon juice and a little white wine to make a nice jus. I ate a leg and a wing and shhhhh - the oysters. The jus was great. Alongside...

977525249_Tomatocucumberavosalad09-27.jpeg.1425fe41ac94df53cdd3abee394420ce.jpeg

Tomato, avocado, and cucumber salad.

Made dinner last night... I made a pasta, spaghetti I think.. I put garlic in a pan, then shallots, lobster mushrooms, then wine, then some lemon, the parsley, red pepper, oyster mushrooms, spaghetti, parsley, then two bunches of enoki mushroom, olive oil, then some lemon, a shot of tabasco, some parsley.  It was reminiscent of eating spaghetti and clam sauce but, more earthy with the boomies. 

Served with a caesar salad with homemade croutons. 

I had purchased a small, boneless heritage pork butt roast last week. After conversations with a few friends who assured me that the best way to cook a pork roast is low and slow, because fatty, yada yada yada, I decided to slice a few "steaks" off of it, and bagged the other 2/3 up for later use. I salted the "steaks" a day or two prior, and pan fried them...

73607052_Porkshouldersteak09-29.jpeg.89b3c5003a2cffafad49a89934f83e8e.jpeg

Let's say they cook fast!  And leave a nice fond in the stainless pan I like to use when making a pan sauce. Shallots went in, and then deglazed with the dregs of some vermouth, added stock, some horseradish mustard, some butter - and bam!

1035254735_Porkshouldersteakplated09-29.jpeg.f79af4004e644f9d8e045cfb956e6c34.jpeg

Pork butt steaks. CSO roasted potatoes. Sautéed corn, scallions, chives and parsley.

Portobello mushroom burger and carrot hot dog. I used the King Arthur recipe for hot dog/hamburger buns, and they came out pretty good, albeit missing the too soft, too sweet quality of the store-bought kind.

IMG_5543.jpg.f85dc7510ca67b2211e2dbe97e6a0d28.jpg

• Like 1