• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Dinner last night, a simple affair.. I had done a pretty nice shop at New York Mart yesterday.. I spent 77 dollars and it was a worthy investment.. I have food for over a week most likely.. I mean sauces that will last for over a month and whatever.. 

Some fermented bean curds on the left, some sichuan greens, some sichuan pickled veg, the sichuan pickled broth packets and some spicy tofu packets.. 

50489059603_c612fea174_z.jpg

Some buns to steam:

50489919632_ced1de68e7_z.jpg

Noodles:

50489919992_d073582a4f_z.jpg

I purchased 4 types of mushrooms but, these were the prettiest... I am going to most likely deep fry a few and try to make a nashville mushroom sandwich.. 

50489771266_a3f152ec53_z.jpg

Lots of greens and sauces, fun tofu things  and things not photo'd.. 

Last nights dinner was the tofu from the sauce packet... I just added tofu to the sauce but, it needed vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, white pepper, salt, starch, water and chives.. so, like, what was the packet for?  Some baby greens, steamed bread with those jarred greens: Dinner ready in less than 15 minutes, well, with the rice, it was 18. 

50489060398_e6e6ffe633_z.jpg

Fun thing about serving steamed bread, you get to Scarpetta, or whatever it's called. 

50489059853_16649aaef2_z.jpg

So, this to Sneak, who questioned my giving away half a chocolate cake.    This morning recipient dropped by a quarter hotel pan of hand made yellow sweet potato ravioli.    A pretty good trade,I'd say.

IMG_0426.thumb.jpg.90e6bba8f8333f89033402e340b0b10a.jpg

IMG_0428.thumb.jpg.30d9a2c1f4b0995bfdf2f6d02c821b7a.jpg

• Like 1

Well, he brought us a huge pile of fresh fettuccini last week.   How much blood to you expect?    I mean, this is an  uber-decades old friend.     We slack on both ends.   

The Hatch dried red chilis...IMG_2571.thumb.jpeg.dea1ab4a9099f42f10b8eeebcbc11815.jpeg

Don't be fooled by the bag using the term "roasted." They are dried by roasting, yes, but not roasted in the traditional way that Hatch greens are. So before reconstituting, some like to lightly toast them, some don't.

Once the sauce was made...

620907260_CarneAdovada10-14.thumb.jpeg.d494a478be2fef16a91128d88fce947b.jpeg

Carne adovada was easy enough. Pork shoulder (good pork) braised in Hatch red chile sauce.

Mexican last night with Rancho Gordo playing a major role. Salad with micro greens, radish, red onion and avocado in a vinaigrette with cilantro, lime and RG Pineapple Vinegar. Grilled shrimp dusted in RG Chile Powder over a roasted poblano salsa.  I can't remember the name of them but the RG really large black beans mixed with heirloom cherry tomatoes, RG mexican oregano, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, lime and cilantro. 

1 hour ago, mitchells said:

I can't remember the name of them but the RG really large black beans mixed with heirloom cherry tomatoes, RG mexican oregano, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno, lime and cilantro. 

Might be the ayocote negro bean.

24 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Might be the ayocote negro bean.

Bingo. My wife and I can literally eat them out of the pot without any seasoning. Lunch today is more of the beans with their broth, chorizo, turnip greens, cilantro, chile pepper and avocado.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, mitchells said:

Bingo. My wife and I can literally eat them out of the pot without any seasoning. Lunch today is more of the beans with their broth, chorizo, turnip greens, cilantro, chile pepper and avocado.

Indeed - cooking more beans (Rancho Gordo exclusively), and fancying them up less. Like, maybe I'll put some mirepoix in, but that might be it. Really lets the beans shine. And then they can be used for a multitude of purposes.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with a ham hock in a pot of beans. But basically, unless and until you really try these products naked, you never know how good, and how different from one another they are. Last week, one of the beans I made (forgetting which, of course), my wife commented on how potato-like they were, texture wise. Indeed.

Moths have invaded our bean and grains bins -> need to jettison months of meals.    White, red and black Camargue rices and Corona beans hurt the most.   Too many others to list.   😟

8 hours ago, voyager said:

Moths have invaded our bean and grains bins -> need to jettison months of meals.    White, red and black Camargue rices and Corona beans hurt the most.   Too many others to list.   😟

I feel for you.  I remember having to toss out tons of grains and other foods when we got an invasion of grain bugs in the move from NYC to CA.

• Thanks 1

Ramen nights are the best nights. Last time I made ramen, I followed the Serious Eats vegetarian broth recipe, which involved roasting of the aromatics and then boiling them for an extended period and other mishegas. I decided that I could probably forgo all that and just make a mushroom/ginger/miso broth and it would be pretty much the same and...it was not. So, dammit. Anyway, I needed to harvest the last of the tatsoi from the balcony, as this wind is not doing it any favors.

IMG_5812.JPG.cede42e31367f5670b2775220a42074e.JPG

I had so much varied produce in my fridge and out; spent a good part of yesterday working with it.

Roasted peppers as seen in another thread.

812376081_Celeriartichokeseggplant10-16.thumb.jpeg.3e9478008e6a7d36008bceb622af5caf.jpeg

Céleri Rémoulade - a fine one, as this was a nice, fresh, small celeriac. Dressing was sour cream, Duke's mayo, Dijon, lemon juice, chives.

Baby artichokes sautéed with shallots, garlic, thyme, white wine, chicken stock, pimentón, and a smidge of saffron.

A small eggplant, broiled to not great effect. Still, it was tasty for a not favored vegetable (fruit?).

Roasted red potatoes with thyme.

And a nice hunk of swordfish steak, steam roasted with olive oil and herbs de Provence.