• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Partial mise...

882803409_Wontonmise10-17.thumb.jpeg.a0c46ae0ae68d141325fd96b50c97f11.jpeg

In process...

1697790356_Wontons10-17.thumb.jpeg.f1ef3d545476ad4bc8e2894e18aa4c30.jpeg

I had 2 kinds of skins - the yellow ones are thinner than the lighter ones. I stuffed these with as much meat as possible...I figure I get finished faster that way (also why I didn't make fancier ones), and they probably have twice as much filling as a wonton at my local wontoneria. The chili paste adds a nice touch to the filling.

970333510_Chilioil10-17.thumb.jpeg.4fbe2e4b88923b7154e3a192a9fa65af.jpeg

Jazzed up the standard scallion ginger oil by adding two types of Szechuan chilis from Mala Grocery. It's good.

• Like 1

"Fast food" is how I cook now -- recent suppers: 

- Open-faced tempeh reubens on seriously good whole-grain rye bread. 

- Alison Roman-style roasted beets with greek yogurt, dill, and toasted walnut, eaten with fried eggs. 

- Stir-fried chicken with broccoli in a "brown sauce" on shirataki noodles with lots of Lao Gan Ma crispy chili oil 

- Yellow curry with chicken, baby eggplant, shallots, Thai basil, on brown rice 

- (with family visiting) big shop at Eataly... assorted cheese, homemade (covid-homesteading) zwetchegen chutney, red grapes, wild boar salami, parma ham, grilled artichokes marinated in lemon & olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes with capers, castelvetrano olives, and a salad of black figs, hay milk mozzarella, roasted pistachios, and a little honey. Did I mentioned the best bread ever

More pasta today: linguini with smoked salmon, capers, lemon, and parsley, in a light cream and white truffle butter sauce.  (We're still going through a few things from the Costco D'Artagnan box from Christmas 2018.)

Fun dinner last night.. I got home around 6 pm... I had a beer, walked up stairs to see the kids watching Mar's Attacks.  They had just ordered shake shack,,,, I drank a second beer, ate half someone's fries and then had two peanut butter cups and fell asleep by 10 pm.. Waking up at 430 in the morning.. 

So, beer, fries and chocolate.. 

Was all set to do one of the chicken recipes on @mongo_jones's blog.

I cut up a chicken and even took the skin off, per instructions. As usual, I dry-brined it overnight.

But then last night, I didn't really want to deal with making anything more difficult than sheet-pan chicken and potatoes. 

1858476874_Sheetpanchicken10-19.thumb.jpeg.713515ea305aff74922a9636464f6704.jpeg

I also had 2 hunks of cauliflower (one yellow or orange, and one white) which I wanted to use. So, I tossed the thighs, drumsticks, wings of the bird and the potatoes with duck fat and herbs, and draped the skin over wherever I could...and sheet-pan chicken it was. 

• Like 1

A variation on Himmel und Erde  "Heaven & Earth" which is I think a dish typical for Cologne. Basically crisp fried blood sausage, mashed sweet potatoes (that was the variation), finely diced apples cooked in white balsamic vinegar with thyme, and crisp fried onion rings. The blood sausage is from a Bavarian organic farm that has a stand at my local market (I love Munich), the apples and thyme were from the balcony, and the sweet potatoes were roasted last weekend but I had never gotten around to using them up. A little of the house Weißburgunder to wash it down.  

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Fun dinner last night.. I got home around 6 pm... I had a beer, walked up stairs to see the kids watching Mar's Attacks.  They had just ordered shake shack,,,, I drank a second beer, ate half someone's fries and then had two peanut butter cups and fell asleep by 10 pm.. Waking up at 430 in the morning.. 

So, beer, fries and chocolate.. 

The type of meal that negates the "being vegan is healthy for you" concept....

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Behemoth said:

A variation on Himmel und Erde  "Heaven & Earth" which is I think a dish typical for Cologne. Basically crisp fried blood sausage, mashed sweet potatoes (that was the variation), finely diced apples cooked in white balsamic vinegar with thyme, and crisp fried onion rings. The blood sausage is from a Bavarian organic farm that has a stand at my local market (I love Munich), the apples and thyme were from the balcony, and the sweet potatoes were roasted last weekend but I had never gotten around to using them up. A little of the house Weißburgunder to wash it down.  

I was dying to take home so much of what I saw in the Berlin markets, especially the smoked and cured meats.  At least I could smuggle home some cheese.

• Like 1

Salad of tomato, beets, micro greens, micro basil and some cheese from BHSB that I forgot the name of. Some nice olive oil from Tuscany and the balsamic from the good bottle.  Grilled salmon (The farm raised King from New Zealand) with fennel pesto and sauteed spinach w/shallot that Sneak would have cooked for another 5 minutes. 

One thing that we have done more of since March is to waste less of what we buy by using it in other ways. In the past we'd keep some fennel fronds for garnish the same day we'd use the fennel but now we'll make pesto from the fennel fronds. Same with carrot tops. And we'd normally trash the leaves/stalks from cauliflower but now we use it all. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

The type of meal that negates the "being vegan is healthy for you" concept....

this is true but, nothing died either. 

So, tonight was a success.  I tried something I have long wanted to try.. I created a dish from scratch for fun, i wrote out another dishes recipe and then after hearing about an unexpected need to travel, i moved a lot of vegetables that may have gone bad. 

reconstituted shitake mushrooms chopped with enoki and oyster mushrooms, smoked tofu, sprouts, chives, spinach, carrots, celery, garlic and ginger.  Once mixed, sesame oil, fermented bean curd, sugar, mushroom sauce, shitake water, five spice a tiny bit of vinegar. 

50511998566_4fcd967140_z.jpg

Stuffed,  

50511281623_edbb6a6e57_z.jpg

50511999301_5851d9e934_z.jpg

years of practice:

50511998846_384d3d5cb3_z.jpg

Pan grilled and then steamed in a sweet mushroom stock. 

Damn:

50512160787_6c9192b78e_z.jpg

50512160662_9c9a756c49_z.jpg

Really delicious.. Maybe I would add water chestnuts. 

50511999266_c44c0c048e_z.jpg

Made Cold sesame noodles

50511281578_b794280944_z.jpg

white rice, Mapo tofu.  

50511282108_bba33647a8_z.jpg

a  salad all from @luckydogorganic frisée, mizuna, arugula, watercress and spicy mustard greens, in a soy, Chinese mustard, sesame oil and rice vinegar dressing. predressed..  salad was the perfect salad to serve with this food.. I loved the dressing, will return to this.  the mix of greens, bitter, spicy, crunchy, the color, the textural components.  I loved this. 

50511999066_990c87fac9_z.jpg

It was a lot of fun not really knowing what I was going to make until I pretty much emptied my entire fridge on to my island and put a really pretty meal together. We had the neighbors over. Concord grapes for dessert.. in season and delicious.