Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Leftovers: leftover artichokes and a couple slices of prosciutto in a frittata. Old soft cheese made into Obatzda, eaten on whole wheat “pretzel-style” Knäckebrot. Castelvetrano olives. Kids had Nürnberg sausages because while they profess to care about animals and the environment, they don’t care so much that they would be willing to eat vegetables. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Less unsuccessful than usual fried rice, in that it at least crisped up (but also formed rice cakes rather than separate grains). With broccoli, mushrooms, shrimp and egg.

IMG_5963.JPG.41eb2a1f8cfa9652c42fac85c12d739d.JPG

Smoked salmon, cream cheese, mizuna, avocado, onion, caper & tomato sandwich.

IMG_5961.jpg.fde4b500b7f8ecd175059b107cc86811.jpg

Weird combo, I know, but something something, Jews, Chinese food, something something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Basic Pasta.. Garlic, onion and carrot, then a tomatoes and like a half a bottle of this gross natural red my wife brought home.. It tasted like rust, we just tossed it into the sauce, a lot of basil, some chile, let it cooked down... Cashew ricotta.. Boiled broccoli tossed with raw garlic, olive oil, salt, lemon and then more salt..  All while super hot.. I like the cut of the broccoli... Then a simple salad, some hardy greens.  Mustard dressing. 

Not my favorite but, it was all pretty simple.. No bells and whistles, Miss A was very happy.

 

50541176372_caba39d080_z.jpg

 

50541177822_c0ca7ce6ea_z.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I must confess I don’t get the “trendy” eating. Vegan, raw food diet, vegetarian. I like seafood and meat just as much as I like vegetables and fruits. But I want what I suppose I consider to be a “real” protein (tofu included) in a meal. 
 

 While it’s nice to consider the climate crisis, right now there’s a food insecurity crisis which to me should be the priority. Same with people treating each other with respect. There are so many issues in the US that not eating meat isn’t one I’m going to put time or effort into. I respect those who do, it’s just not on my agenda. 
 

the pandemic has had me ordering meat from local farmers/ butchers etc and solely focusing on small businesses. 
 

oh dinner tonight was a crepe with Kerrygold butter and grade B Canadian syrup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great sentiment! I especially support the support of local farmers/butchers/small businesses.

However, I've eschewed all Grade B syrups and now only use amber or dark... I'm an syruptarian (that's a joke, everyone).

1864127412_Chirashi10-28.thumb.jpeg.1dfc94beb5ccf9634e0572c073f15686.jpeg

Chirashi.  No matter what I do, the plating is rather, ummm, disgusting?

Anyway, there are poached shrimp, poached scallops, ikura and some wild Sockeye salmon I smoke roasted in the steam oven. A pickled ramp and avocado too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was let's throw in whatever we have in the fridge congee night. Used a stock made with the top of leeks, mushroom stems and ginger for cooking the rice. Then some starting to shrivel mushroom caps, leftover cooked kale, scallion First time I ever used that and it was magical. Really improved the flavor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had chicken franks last night. Frankly, if anything shouldn't be called a hot dog, it's this. They're kind of nasty. Blah flavor, no snap. Requires enormous quantities of spicy mustard to hide the taste. (spouse loves them, the boy and I don't)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Meredith380 said:

I must confess I don’t get the “trendy” eating. Vegan, raw food diet, vegetarian. I like seafood and meat just as much as I like vegetables and fruits. But I want what I suppose I consider to be a “real” protein (tofu included) in a meal. 
 

 While it’s nice to consider the climate crisis, right now there’s a food insecurity crisis which to me should be the priority. Same with people treating each other with respect. There are so many issues in the US that not eating meat isn’t one I’m going to put time or effort into. I respect those who do, it’s just not on my agenda. 
 

Firstly, I do tend to naturally be on trend when it comes to food..  So that's cool.. But, i guess I don't get what you don't get about being Vegan.. I mean, it's not that  difficult a concept.  I mean there are hundreds of millions of people who are vegetarian around the world.. It's not some foreign concept.  It's actually cheaper, more healthy and better for the environment.

In terms of food insecurity, or the food crisis, this is certainly tied to the dairy and meat industry.. The American Diet is terrible for the environment.. It takes 16 pounds of grain to make 1 pound of meat.  We throw away several hundred pounds a year per person, a typical family wastes 2000 dollars a year in food.  There is tons of waste and all sorts of issues.. None of it having to do with being vegan or vegetarian.  

That is great that your animals are murdered and tortured close to your house. Maybe if you listen closely you can hear a male cow being murdered in front of it's mother who is off to get milked. Obviously in the most humane way possible.  You should ask them for a tour of the kill floor while it's in full swing.  

There are so many issues in the US right now and you can definitely pick your causes..  I just don't see why one has to choose a side.. I feel again, as I have said, a lot of people are so hostile to this issue because, deep down, they know they are very wrong.. Literally choosing the pleasure of eating something tasty over the life and safety of a sentient being..  I get it, I will most likely slip up or give in, because of the want of a selfish pleasure.  

I really think that you can't justify eating meat outside of saying, "Ok, you got me, I am just a selfish prick.. I get it, i want something and if I close my eyes and pretend to forget, maybe I can enjoy this"  It's hard to come to that realization about yourself because deep down, we all think we are good people.. But then we do these little things where we make excuses and bargain and explain away the shitty things we do.  But sometimes, you got to say, i am wrong and life is hard enough and well, mama wants a steak.  But, you just have to know, there is no humane way to murder something that doesn't want to be murdered. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night was shrimp night

50544363707_707a31c6ed_z.jpg

pre-boil 

50544222316_0d6c65761c_z.jpg

 

You know, the texture was interesting.. Almost like a spongy fish cake, fish ball.. More like imitation crab, rubbery and spongy.. But the taste, holy shit, it was horrible..  At  first it had the fish cake thing going, then it just finished with the taste of crushed up aspirin.  It was cloying and didn't leave my mouth for most of the evening.. Like, I don't know if it was still there but, it left an imprint.  

I had a late night meeting with someone and ate a our tofu bahn mi which was delicious. 

50544222241_3b57d78630_z.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mitchells said:

It was let's throw in whatever we have in the fridge congee night. Used a stock made with the top of leeks, mushroom stems and ginger for cooking the rice. Then some starting to shrivel mushroom caps, leftover cooked kale, scallion First time I ever used that and it was magical. Really improved the flavor. 

What type of rice do you use for your congee?  I had some broken Thai rice that is allegedly good for congee, but I think it's gone, though I have a dozen other rices in my pantry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Last night was shrimp night

50544363707_707a31c6ed_z.jpg

pre-boil 

50544222316_0d6c65761c_z.jpg

 

You know, the texture was interesting.. Almost like a spongy fish cake, fish ball.. More like imitation crab, rubbery and spongy.. But the taste, holy shit, it was horrible..  At  first it had the fish cake thing going, then it just finished with the taste of crushed up aspirin.  It was cloying and didn't leave my mouth for most of the evening.. Like, I don't know if it was still there but, it left an imprint. 

I'm sorry for your sorry experience, Daniel.    But I think your description of this faux shrimp illustrates what some of us have been thinking if not asking.    Is it worthwhile to simulate an animal product when there are infinite non-meat alternatives?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using Nishiki Medium Grain Rice which I think is basically sushi rice. And I've been using the method recommended by Melissa Clark back in May in the NY Times. 1/2 cup rice with 6 cups of water cooked for 1-2 hours which seems to be the perfect amount for 2 people. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, voyager said:

I'm sorry for your sorry experience, Daniel.    But I think your description of this faux shrimp illustrates what some of us have been thinking if not asking.    Is it worthwhile to simulate an animal product when there are infinite non-meat alternatives?

 

Of course it is.. If it's  good then it's worth it.. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all of these failed things hopefully will advance us.     There are fake animal products that are delicious., just egg is one of them.. And then there are products, like fake parm, that are not worth it.. I try everything as I am constantly getting samples and then also exploring on my own... Rarely it works, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't.   But, I also would say the same thing about just about every meal in the frozen  section, or just about every processed product that contains meat too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...