• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Simple dinner.. Some oyster mushrooms with some baby greens.. A little oyster sauce, chinese wine, sugar, soy sauce and sichuan peppercorns. 

image.png.631ff5ab7c8318e97f1a3b5efd49b6be.png

Served with a basic rice..  And a salad for 5 different types of lettuces, some carrots, homemade croutons and a mustard/shallot dressing.   I continue to contend that salad is best eaten with chopsticks. 

image.png.b60f90758c4629762488949635b1d4de.png

I use chopsticks in my home most of the time.. I cook with them a lot as well, like if I make Jax eggs, I will take a single chopstick and stir it around..  I cooked the mushrooms and greens with chopsticks. I personally do not like the feel or sometimes taste of metal, definitely the sounds either.  When I go to the fancy Korean spots and they give me metal chopsticks, I always ask for their take out chopsticks. 

There is a time and place for chopsticks where they are better than a fork or spoon.. Noodle soups, hot pot, salads that contain pretty much any lettuce outside of iceberg, are all better when using chopsticks.   Or salad with your hands is of course the other acceptable way but, then you have to be alone or with your spouse. But, then you add the fact that I only ate with plastic utensils in my home or chopsticks until I left for college and you will see, it's less of an affect and more of a sign of insanity.  

The sounds of metal silverware going into a draw was unbearable.  If we went to a restaurant we couldn't sit next to the silverware station. I would sometimes sneak in a fork. I had a huge thing with silverware most of my childhood. Strange, right?  I somehow grew out of it. But, that was always a concern as a kid, my mother always use to joke, how can you have restaurant if you can't have silverware. 

Yeh, i eat with chopsticks almost every day.  

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I use chopsticks in my home most of the time.. I cook with them a lot as well, like if I make Jax eggs, I will take a single chopstick and stir it around..  I cooked the mushrooms and greens with chopsticks. I personally do not like the feel or sometimes taste of metal, definitely the sounds either.  When I go to the fancy Korean spots and they give me metal chopsticks, I always ask for their take out chopsticks. 

There is a time and place for chopsticks where they are better than a fork or spoon.. Noodle soups, hot pot, salads that contain pretty much any lettuce outside of iceberg, are all better when using chopsticks.   Or salad with your hands is of course the other acceptable way but, then you have to be alone or with your spouse. But, then you add the fact that I only ate with plastic utensils in my home or chopsticks until I left for college and you will see, it's less of an affect and more of a sign of insanity.  

The sounds of metal silverware going into a draw was unbearable.  If we went to a restaurant we couldn't sit next to the silverware station. I would sometimes sneak in a fork. I had a huge thing with silverware most of my childhood. Strange, right?  I somehow grew out of it. But, that was always a concern as a kid, my mother always use to joke, how can you have restaurant if you can't have silverware. 

In the country we have a set of stoneware that reacts like squawking parrots when a metal fork or knife is dragged across a surface.   Sounds like chopsticks might  be a solution.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

about 12 years ago I started eating everything I could with chopsticks when I was home. the idea being that I'd eat slower (I have to really concentrate to not just inhale everything in seconds). Then I got to be really good with chopticks.  Oy...

• Like 1

Thai curry is a quick easy dinner.  It takes less than 30 minutes, you can use whatever you have on hand, it's fairly healthy, one pot, pantry and leftover type of thing.. Sure it's better if you shop for it but, odds and ends fair well. 

Canned curry, coconut milk, sweet potatoes, eggplants, lotus root, green beans, rice noodles, all went into the pool. 

50590258692_41a1f21675_z.jpg

Done in about the same time it would take to put a frozen dinner in the oven. 

50589395203_cc463ffd5f_z.jpg

Without a comma, I'm reading it as "No, substitutions don't break balls." The neighbor of a friend of mine posted a sign in his driveway that said "No U Turn in this Driveway," which we decided was a helpful instruction to people who were wondering which driveway to turn around in. That one? "No, U Turn in THIS Driveway."

Eats shoots and leaves, and all that.

Squid with roasted eggplant, cherry tomatoes and garlic over linguine. This kind of shocked me with how good it was (probably because the garlic got very crispy in the oven). Next time I'll also roast the squid and it will be even better, probably.

IMG_6182.jpg.1c0e81927736911e3a38e411c0dd2f4a.jpg