• Replies 20.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

I came home from work last night after being out all day.  I played some chess with the boy, then we watched a movie and I ate an entire bag of doritos while watching with him...  Before the movie,  I heated him up a cauliflower pasta from friday night.  He has officially declared loving a new vegetable.. My new thing has given him a very recent interest in eating more vegetables. Also he has switched from cow milk to oat milk.  And most of his ice cream intake is cow milk free.  I had a sandwich earlier that day.  I have oftened heard about people doing things like that.. A pint of ice cream for dinner, a bag of chips, a box of cookies.. I feel like I may have done this one other time in the past few months.  Blame it on the quar.  I may not eat until dinner tonight.   I had a rather decadent weekend. 

A pink dinner.    Husband requested iceberg lettuce with Thousand Island dressing..   i requested penne with vodka sauce, additng several slices of slivered prosciutto.    A particularly good do this time, plus planned-overs for lunch later in the week.

I have been making these stir fry dishes for Jax.. It's easy, he loves them, life is good.. I marinade the chicken in soy, chinese bbq sauce, garlic, sesame oil and a shot of wine then cornstarch .   Then make a sauce and toss together.   

He loves it, devours it.  He's just not that in to food so, when he gets excited, it's exciting. 

50617723017_d0e7ffb5aa_z.jpg

Then the vegan version:

I started with jalapeno also, obviously no chinese bbq sauce either, a few other deviations.  Mushrooms, tofu, green beans, baby bok choy. More spicy. 

The rice had sichuan peppercorns and ginger infused. 

50617721427_d3c3b741fa_z.jpg

Last night, small rare strip steak, grilled mini yellow peppers, three-bean salad

Tonight, Viet pork patties (lemongrass, fish sauce, green onion, garlic) with rice noodles, lettuce, nuoc cham.    Asparagus.   

Me: I can't make a single serving of bouillabaisse. Who's gonna sell me two shrimp, three clams and a small amount of monkfish?

Smarter Me: Ummm...any fish market?

I am so happy right now.

IMG_6263.jpg

• Like 2

That looks really good, Small H!  

Fresh young coconut ceviche.  Coconut milk, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, garlic, lime, sour orange, fresh young coconut pulp pulled from a coconut.  Added some avocado at the end and served with tortilla chips.  Cuban black beans and rice. And a side of spinach and this interesting purple bok choy grown at lucky dawg organic.  The greens were just something I wanted to have for tomorrow’s lunch.  But we had some.  Garlic, Oil, Chinese cooking wine, salt and a shot of soy.  I was thinking of adding coconut milk but, too already had the ceviche.  Which was almost better over the rice instead of the chips.  Then you have a cold rice salad .   If rice maybe some roasted corn or hominy for crunch. I wasn’t super happy with the pepper.  It was a mild pepper. Maybe add horseradish. Maybe cumin, maybe a little cherry tomato.  I wouldn’t even think pineapple but thought maybe wedges of citrus. Like sour orange or even grapefruit for winter but, it was pretty good as is.  Maybe the Cuban pepper that taste like a habanero but doesn’t have heat.  Aqua something or maybe just Thai chile.   Either way, there is a winner in there. 

image.thumb.jpeg.59364a8640421a3b281c357540369f64.jpeg

you know, styled like late 90’s Tex mex restaurant,  for the gram. I need like a burnt orange plate or maybe a yellow one to complete the aesthetic

image.thumb.jpeg.3fbce41ce6285ca79e755754344502df.jpeg

30896149_Spaghettiwithfreshtuna11-19(1).thumb.jpeg.5715fb4f42207223de81346104fc531a.jpeg

Spaghetti all’Eoliana.  Fresh tuna, tomato (canned and fresh cherry), capers, olives, garlic, parsley. This was really good, with those salty, sweet and pungent flavors. 

1146966019_Roman-styleendive11-19.thumb.jpeg.7b9700c3348891f0a49b88f44f13f210.jpeg

An adaptation of the classic Puntarelle all Romana. In addition to being a pain in the ass to prep, puntarelle is not always that easy to find (oh, to be in a Roman market again one day, where it's sold prepped). Instead, Belgian endive subbed. It's not exactly the same, but it's nice and juicy.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, small h said:

Me: I can't make a single serving of bouillabaisse. Who's gonna sell me two shrimp, three clams and a small amount of monkfish?

Smarter Me: Ummm...any fish market?

Upstairs at Essex? I was looking to buy a 2 lb. bag of frozen wild shrimp, but he doesn't have those, only 5 lb. bricks. And I have to say, downstairs looks pretty sad these days.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Upstairs at Essex? I was looking to buy a 2 lb. bag of frozen wild shrimp, but he doesn't have those, only 5 lb. bricks. And I have to say, downstairs looks pretty sad these days.

Union Market. They had wild shrimp from South Carolina, which was my inspiration. I get my "everyday" frozen shrimp from Trader Joe's, $10 for a 1 lb bag. I'm planning on getting my Thanksgiving crab from Essex Pearl, and I got swordfish from them not too long ago that was pretty good.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, small h said:

Union Market. They had wild shrimp from South Carolina, which was my inspiration. I get my "everyday" frozen shrimp from Trader Joe's, $10 for a 1 lb bag. I'm planning on getting my Thanksgiving crab from Essex Pearl, and I got swordfish from them not too long ago that was pretty good.

Wow - haven't been to Union for quite some time; I'll have to check back in with them. I was definitely buying that Argentinian red shrimp at Trader Joe's, when I used to go to Trader Joe's pre pandemic.

3 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Argentinian red shrimp

H likes those, but I prefer the tail-on ones. Bonus: you can save the tail shells and make stock for your bouillabaisse. I've gotten some good stuff from Union Market, like the occasional live sea urchin. Which Essex Pearl used to have, and doesn't, anymore.

Quick snack after work.  I went to my cousins house and was apart of a 6 person, three hour chess marathon and had a vegan ramen delivered from momofuku.  It’s amazing, my boy can sit and play chess for as along as you like.  Or he can just as happily run around the houses talking in voices.  
Anyway, some of that leftover spinach and bok choy, served cold with soy, vinegar, chile crunch and some pickled turnips. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d956678ac6b224f80b3a33826ea037fd.jpeg

IMG_2845.thumb.jpeg.fb7d9ba77ba4444f30dc26723f953045.jpeg

I happened to see a nice looking package of (allegedly baby back) ribs in a grocery store (first time I've been in our local grocery store in a looooong time). I was planning on chopping these ribs into thirds, which is how the ribs in a dish like this are generally cooked.

Took out my trusty cleaver, and wham (bam?). Nada. Nothing. I couldn't hack through these bones no matter what I did. I would've needed a band saw. So, I cooked them whole, after Significant Eater yelled from the living room, and I quote: "What the fuck is going on in there?"

Basically a mashup from Fuschia Dunlop (her Hunan cookbook), which I've had since it was published in 2017, and good old Irene Kuo (her The Key to Chinese Cooking), which I've had since it was published 40 years prior. Soy, dark soy, ginger, sugar, bean pasta (spicy), Baoning vinegar, and Shaoxing wine.  After par boiling, then braised in all those goodies. 

Stir-fried green cabbage with ground FACING HEAVEN ZI DAN TOU CHILI - a mild (er) Szechuan chili. Green cabbage (the stuff we make cole slaw from) is really nice when it's stir-fried and barely cooked. 

I said to my dining partner at one point, this is quite simply the Chinese version of when Germans have pork and sauerkraut. I won't quote what she said back.

We'd already finished a bottle of sparkling rosé (Filipa Pato, one of our favorite low-alcohol, fizzy quaffs), because who the heck knows what to drink with this dinner ( @Sneakeater?)