To go with the leftover black-eyed peas, I made the sweet-potato salad with orange-maple dressing from Jubilee, with sweet potatoes from our garden.  (The scallions and parsley came from there too.)  It's not too sweet, even with the pecans and raisins--the balsamic vinegar and a good deal of S&P helps.

• Replies 21k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Today: short grain brown rice, eggplant with garlic sauce, stir-fried eggs with tomato

Yesterday: Spaghetti bottarga 

Day before yesterday: Peking-style duck breast with scallions & cucumber in NOT homemade mandarin pancakes with NOT homemade hoisin. NOT homemade wontons in homemade chicken broth. The readymade products were surprisingly good.

4 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

How do you like to do this?

Variation on Marcella. I use a peeler and then chop to get the bottarga very fine. Sauté minced shallot in butter, add pasta, then some grated lemon peel and a small amount of chili. Skip the parsley. Bottarga mixed in the end. 

• Like 1

Is your country on fire? Try to stay calm by making your favorite childhood foods: mushroom pizza and French fries. Full disclosure - I also opened up 6 oysters, but that doesn't really fit in with the childhood foods thing. I was a weird kid, but not that weird. I waited 'til I was 10 or 12 to start eating raw oysters.

File_000.jpeg.512a24006d3de6e7bbb86cc14abd1f5b.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

Thanks! Parsley. No garlic - that didn't even occur to me. They're cold-start fries, and I forgot how easy and relatively foolproof they are. Although they take a really long time to cook.

• Like 1

Roasted venison loin. A pan sauce made with shallots, mushrooms, cognac, demi glace, Creme fraiche, lingonberry, and whatever else I had lying around. Spätzle and braised red cabbage on the side. 

Yesterday potato pancakes with smoked salmon, trout roe, Creme fraiche, horseradish and chives.  

Red, yellow, and orange bell peppers stuffed with a Middle Eastern-spiced ground lamb mixture and baked.  Served with an aged Cantillon Kriek, which is the driest, most sour beer I've had in ages.

21 hours ago, small h said:

Thanks! Parsley. No garlic - that didn't even occur to me. They're cold-start fries, and I forgot how easy and relatively foolproof they are. Although they take a really long time to cook.

I love pommes persillade - your potatoes look as if they'd be perfect candidates for it.

With desi chanas from @rancho_gordo, I made this very delicious, as authentic as the recipe I followed to the letter is, chana masala; going so far as to grind the whole spices as needed. Served with Basmati rice and a salad. To be honest, I did not use a blender to blend, but an immersion blender. And to be really honest, I did not cook in a karhai - fuck authenticity.

1986270732_Chanamasala01-07-21.thumb.jpeg.4454d7c80a1bdece811b3a6c11018f6b.jpeg

They'd been closed since a day or two before Christmas, and they opened back up yesterday. I ran over to Cervo's and grabbed these...

1000885683_Prawnshead-on01-07.thumb.jpeg.81d05617b2b4207436da53970fc1d43b.jpeg

Then I preheated the cast iron in the oven for an hour, turned on the broiler to get it even hotter, threw them in...and in less than 2 minutes dragged them out

833128893_PrawnsCast-Iron01-07.thumb.jpeg.580841b345d7a23567fc2fa3c2c2ffb3.jpeg

And onto a plate (don't touch that handle!). Salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice - nothing else needed, they are so delicious.

Galician Albariño went quite nicely....

image.thumb.png.eb56c18315da53b48a3e021fba44af12.png