Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Roasted broccolini and shrimp, stracciatella. I am bad at the egg drop thing and always end up with grayish unattractive lumps. If anyone is good at it and wants to share their method, I would be most grateful.

File_000.thumb.jpeg.85a52aa0d87b1d4c9a4066ef0fd1a2ec.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 21.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

7 hours ago, small h said:

If anyone is good at it and wants to share their method, I would be most grateful.

The way i was taught, and this is a long time ago, is to beat the eggs well, and pour in a slow stream while stirring the soup constantly, in one direction, with a chopstick. Now that I think about it, that was (obviously) for egg drop soup.

But what about tempering the egg slightly, before pouring it slowly into the soup? I wonder if that would help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_3436.thumb.jpeg.57991a16107a125b69df5d03b8780a04.jpeg

I had planned to make a simple dinner of simmered beef (with some defrosted rib eye cap) and onions over rice (gyudon) on Saturday night. But after my shopping expedition to Cervo's, I had more product to deal with. The strip I bought went right into the freezer (great, more shit in my freezer), while I poached the prawns and pan seared the steelhead. So in addition to the gyudon shoved to one side, my rice dish also had prawns and a piece of steelhead. On the side, a major Japanese vegetable - Brussels sprouts, braised.

Plating not included, obviously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

But what about tempering the egg slightly, before pouring it slowly into the soup? I wonder if that would help.

I'll try this. Yesterday I stirred the eggs with a fork, which might have been the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, small h said:

I'll try this. Yesterday I stirred the eggs with a fork, which might have been the problem.

Ah, ok. Don’t stir the eggs. Make a whirlpool in the broth and drizzle slowly. (If you want to stir them, at most with a chopstick, and gently.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2021 at 7:10 AM, joethefoodie said:

The way i was taught, and this is a long time ago, is to beat the eggs well, and pour in a slow stream while stirring the soup constantly, in one direction, with a chopstick. Now that I think about it, that was (obviously) for egg drop soup.

But what about tempering the egg slightly, before pouring it slowly into the soup? I wonder if that would help.

The only way I've done it is per Irene Kuo, adding oil to the beaten egg (1 tsp oil/egg). And that gets drizzled into the broth after it's been thickened with cornstarch, not before.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ad-hoc curry (like a lot of N's cooking) with RG black and Mayacoba beans, kale, mushrooms, dried apricots, and probably a lot of other things I'm forgetting.  Enough to get us through the week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grilled lettuce, hong shao rou, hua juan, well almost.    Pork shoulder subbed for belly, and flower rolls allowed to proof longer than optimum, but a very tasty meal, with leftover buns for breakfast.

 

581714194_ScreenShot2021-02-02at6_01_29PM.thumb.png.bc77a602ad40611cbb15ec8e763351f2.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, voyager said:

Grilled lettuce, hong shao rou, hua juan, well almost.    Pork shoulder subbed for belly, and flower rolls allowed to proof longer than optimum, but a very tasty meal, with leftover buns for breakfast.

That looks fantastic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Josh Karpf said:

The only way I've done it is per Irene Kuo, adding oil to the beaten egg (1 tsp oil/egg). And that gets drizzled into the broth after it's been thickened with cornstarch, not before.

Ahhhh, no doubt you're referring to her seminal (American) work...

IMG_3474.thumb.jpeg.03b9530a98e569fc21c072f92fdfc338.jpeg

That's the title page (on the right) to my original first edition; it was used so much, and made so many moves with me, it eventually fell apart. It was replaced by the one on the left.

Herewith, in its entirety, the technique to which you refer:

IMG_3477.thumb.jpeg.97eed1895e38687caf3c83475fc8b37f.jpeg

IMG_3476.thumb.jpeg.10f35159bdb5306f01caa0fa9b55f42e.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

7184A643-9CC2-4447-8B4F-641D9744728C.thumb.jpeg.97d338b873c0eed79dbba72d47ef9517.jpeg

Spaghetti and meatballs. With a chunk or two of Italian sausage in the sauce.

I didn't think we'd each be able to eat 1/4 of pasta, but we did.

IMG_3470.thumb.jpeg.da8541dd064c48cc891cc2e342e48882.jpeg

"Baby"artichokes - a favorite vegetable (except for the prep). Braised with shallots, thyme, chicken stock, lemon, olive oil.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...