• Replies 21.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Stracciatella 2.0, tagliatelle (aka cut up lasagna noodles) with chanterelles and shiitakes.

File_000.jpeg.153ac53b2c0ad0e11db92c22d36ac6d7.jpeg

I had much better luck with the soup this time, due to someone recommending mixing the egg with semolina (I used panko) and to @joethefoodie's Irene Kuo screen shot, which advised me to pour the egg in and let it sit for a bit before stirring. Cooking with expensive ingredients always stresses me out: the chanterelles were $2 each, which obviously is not that much in the grand scheme of things, but still. But everything worked out! Yay.

• Like 1

My "meez" (with apologies to Tony Bourdain and an RIP), for a Chinese food dinner:

IMG_3480.thumb.jpeg.3ca1d46dc7045e83e300e1d9ed1ee152.jpeg

Stir-fried Shanghai bok choy, snow peas, and a little red pepper for, well, the red:

IMG_3481.thumb.jpeg.724181f5853ee27e225dba0dcac52139.jpeg

And perhaps one of the least photogenic dishes ever:

IMG_3482.thumb.jpeg.73bb282efcd4451365d88be6faa982c6.jpeg

Mapo tofu. According to Significant Eater: "you've outdone yourself." (She just happens to love mapo. This version, with fermented black beans and awesome chili bean paste from Mala Grocery, happened to be quite good). Products can matter.

• Like 1

Oh, lest I forget - last night (Chinese was 2 nights ago)...

58064577_52722129-AF80-4BA6-B3FE-CD0E45280CAF2.thumb.jpeg.c7f188724d2fd284e0c05a9dab3f1c5b.jpeg\

Soupy rice (bomba) with scallops, chorizo, green pepper and shallot. Home made shrimp shell stock (saffron added) for the liquid made this extremely tasty.

23 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

Dinner tonight was got to be one of the most Ashkenazi ever!!! Borscht with sour cream following by LEO (lox, eggs & onions).

No compote or noodle kugel for dessert? 😉

• Haha 1

Finally a use for an All Clad "stir fry" pan that's been taking up shelf space for decades.    Tonight, rotelli with guanciale, garlic, peas, cream.    I now "get' it as a vessel for carbonara and gracia.   

1968416993_ScreenShot2021-02-05at6_06_51PM.thumb.png.6390ec8c3905a05a3cd82c99e37e96c9.png

1802035395_ScreenShot2021-02-05at6_07_20PM.thumb.png.315bf67d4f35859240476fa79b4d90f9.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Wow, they made that pan in non stick also?!

Yes.    I don't buy non-stick at All-Clad heft and price-point considering its comparative short life, but at $10 at an estate sale and in new condition, I couldn't turn it down.    For actual "woking" I depend on a carbon steel, but found that this works well for quickly cooking up lardons and making a fast sauce.1030419600_ScreenShot2021-02-06at7_05_28AM.thumb.png.adeb5f17f734f94971049789bf39519c.png

Shrimp chowder. I've been trying to get the thickness thing right (roux? cream? potatoes?) and this time I actually did it. Shrimp stock + roux + milk + everything else.

chowder.jpg.24be2a138541f81ed2a1166fd2c6e95b.jpg

• Like 1

I sort of cooked last night. I say sort of because the only cooking involved was the pasta, unless you also count the very small amount of heat I applied to the garlic in olive oil. Jacques Pepin made a quick anchovy pasta the other day, so I gave it a try. It was very fast, and it actually was pretty tasty. Minced garlic, chopped anchovies, olive oil, and a couple of tablespoons of Parmesan cheese in a bowl, and nuke it for 30 seconds (or if you don't have a microwave like me, seated on the stove for a bit). Add in the cooked pasta and some of the pasta water and you're done. There is supposed to be parsley and jalapeno pepper in there, but I hate parsley, and had no jalapeno pepper so I added some red chili flakes instead. 

Work has been something of a dumpster fire recently, but I was finally able to cook on the weekend.

Recents:

Bucatini All'Amatriciana. I follow Bugialli on this one. It's not that his ingredients are different, he just has you cook each component much longer than I've seen anywhere else. Really makes a difference. 

Grilled Nürenburg sausages (these are small sausages flavoured primarily with marjoram) with "almost Robouchon" puree potatoes and braised sauerkraut, medium hot mustard and horseradish. 

Tafelspitz with horseradish sauce, German style fried potatoes, roasted purple carrots, and pickled beets. More traditional than carrots would be creamed savoy cabbage or spinach, but the kids don't eat those and the carrots I already had. The broth from the tafelspitz gets served as a first course, garnished with "backerbsen" which are these pea-sized Swabian fried dough bits. Celestine would be nicer but I didn't feel like making the pancakes. (The backerbsen you can buy already made, like noodles.) 

Ha, not a single Asian meal this week. I'm sure this will change soon as I have two packets of rice cakes I need to use up. 

My German cooking game took some time to develop, but now I would say it is pretty damned solid.