• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Yesterday was very German. Frikadellen (using a really good recipe from effilée though) with sweet Bavarian mustard, creamed Savoy cabbage with a little horseradish, a beet salad...and instant mashed potatoes for the savages. 

35 minutes ago, Behemoth said:

@mitchells sounds lovely. Do you have a good ginger dressing recipe you can share? I have a similar dinner planned for tonight (“fake” Peking duck) and a small head of romaine I’d like to use up. 

Unfortunately I do not. We have a nice Japanese market nearby that makes their own and bottles it. They make a few different versions; spicy, yuzu, plain. Sorry! 

I'll always remember one of my favorite bistro-ish dinner desserts, probably an inconvenience to the kitchen, was when she ordered some kind of apple tart and I, remembering an appetizer we hadn't gotten, asked for the baby back ribs with soy sauce and black beans. Especially if there's not a lot of fat, especially in dessert, I really prefer savory to sweet.

So lovely spouse's nicely spicy lasagna, made with North Country andouille-ish sausage, made a fine dessert too.

Josh lasagna in bed.jpg

On 2/15/2021 at 11:17 PM, small h said:

Remember that movie Conspiracy Theory, in which Mel Gibson's character was compelled to purchase a copy of Catcher in the Rye every so often so the CIA could keep tabs on him? Possibly I have this sort of wrong, but in any case, I have been making way too much soup lately, and I'd like to blame this compulsion on someone. Case in point, vegetarian pozole. It came out good, which is fortunate, 'cause I now have three quarts of the stuff. If you're in downtown Manhattan and want a pint or two of pozole, lemme know and I'll hook you up. It's got hominy (duh), tomatillos, tomatoes, guajillo and ancho peppers, and other things you'd expect.

pozole.jpeg.5ddb316473f1f62d72c976a2e7ac5311.jpeg

Would you share your recipe?

Finish up the last of the black truffles earlier...991773026_Chickenthighwtruffle02-17IMG_3585.thumb.jpeg.793d49a3a5aacfff64ba04b90bee8b5a.jpeg

Stuffed a few slices under each of four thighs and roasted them. Got a nice crispy skin.

1309576856_Chickenwithtruffletrufflemash02-17.thumb.jpeg.d6217f6bce35e778821bc603935fe8e0.jpeg

Also made truffle mashed potatoes to serve with. And some sautéed asparagus.

1355894296_Saladbigwithtunaandavo02-18.thumb.jpeg.8120fdb6348a6b984a6d195a3fe928a2.jpeg

Didn't want to even turn on the stove last night. Made a big salad with some Spanish cured tuna, avocado. And already made céleri rémoulade, a winter fave here. (Note the pickled string beans, a la @Sneakeater!)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, small h said:

Sure. It's this:

https://www.latimes.com/recipe/big-sky-cafe-vegetarian-pozole

only simplified, and halved. Canned pozole (2 c), 1 guajillo and 1 ancho chile, 2 q liquid (mostly water, 'cause I only had a pint of stock). Cooking time was about a half hour.

Other than the tomatillos, I think I have everything else in my pantry. Well, I only have dried white pozole corn, but it's pozole.

The big question is - will the kid eat it? And do I care? (I mean, more for the adults, right?)

I don't see why not, unless said kid doesn't like the starchiness of the pozole and is averse to a little heat. I saw some recipes that also used yellow corn, if that would make it more acceptable.

Tried my hand at Kaiser rolls, without the aid of a Kaiser roll stamp (a thing I did not know existed before today). My knotting needs work, despite me watching the King Arthur Flour knotting tutorial video about 20 times. Still not bad for a first try. And I found a use for my jar of Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel spice.

rolls.jpg.512a6a5cba3245c1ada0d4c000346dc6.jpg

Obviously I didn't have just a roll for dinner. Portabello, mozzarella, onion, tomato and spinach sandwich. Scary purple fries (this is another chapter in the "small h uses the wrong kind of potato" saga).

burger.jpg.247a6699b39130a87702c4aed0d800ba.jpg