1/2 cup of extra virgin oil, caramelized with tomato, might make most things taste good.

I first tasted cabbage similarly cooked by Nick Curtin, when he was at Rosette. Even better was the cabbage was roasted in the wood burning oven.

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

5 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

1/2 cup of extra virgin oil, caramelized with tomato, might make most things taste good.

I first tasted cabbage similarly cooked by Nick Curtin, when he was at Rosette. Even better was the cabbage was roasted in the wood burning oven.

Thanks for this.   It will be upcoming.

Life is good. Softshell crabs, oysters (which I was able to open with almost no drama!), cucumber, tomato & avocado salad. Dunno what I've done to deserve this, but I'm not complaining.

4E7F3C2A-B4ED-4E38-A819-E786273D911D.JPG.667d9f60e78d226de77631454ad5e385.JPG

IMG_7283.jpg.d6bba3fb4a487891b64493aeca0b80ad.jpg

IMG_7285.jpg.d49fa0279a5cc798a0008b616a4cd9a4.jpg

• Like 1

Dinner last night -

roasted tomato and garlic soup
London broil marinated with tamari, garlic, and honey
Wheat berry salad with RAMPS and mushrooms
Roasted cauliflower

Weather has been really cold and bleh lately. 

- German style potato soup with pretzel croutons and optional sauerkraut.

- Marcus Samuelsson Swedish meatballs, with boiled potatoes for the kiddies, and braised Belgian endive with verjus for the grown ups. Pickled beets for me as nobody else eats them.

i am so looking forward to:

1. the end of winter cooking

2. going to a restaurant again, especially (as much as I love them) a night out without kids.  

Neither looks to be happening anytime soon. 

Spiced kabocha squash and asparagus soup.

IMG_7295.jpg.7b86ea1b513a19a446d927424a7d5f1d.jpg

Smoked salmon on a bialy with horseradish/scallion/lemon/caper cream cheese, tomato, pickled onion and potato chips. I stole this recipe from a menu, I forget which one. Also the caramelized cabbage that is my reason for living and is just as good at room temperature as it is hot.

IMG_7294.jpg.2ba9098b50dfee2eca6314ec88b3db4d.jpg

375983765_Hamachikama04-16.thumb.jpeg.50b41886f5abc5f19cd4a285704c2cf1.jpeg

Hamachi kama, salted and steam broiled. Became part of a sort of Japanese dinner...

2042171836_Japanese04-16-21.thumb.jpeg.c6ce11508da0c4ed0fffc95ee0b9cd2f.jpeg

The collar (was so good), pickled turnips and half sours from Le Pickle Guys, simple chirashi with avocado and a wild gulf shrimp salad that was (almost) as good as any lobster salad. (Maybe because I only dressed it with Duke's, lemon juice, chives?) Asparagus glazed with mirin, soy, rice vinegar, sesame.

75301509_PiripiriChickenCervos04-17.thumb.jpeg.3c8e00e6a4e52528b789337669b9c1a1.jpeg

This was the last weekend for Cervo's marketplace. Not wanting to cook, I popped in and asked chef if he had any whole birds left; he did, and cooked it to be picked up later. So - Piri Piri chicken, tater tots, and Brussels sprouts made for a nice, easy dinner.

--Grilled trout filets stuffed with a mixture of herbs and minced garlic

--Rice pilaf with grilled zucchini and red peppers, made in a huge quantity so we can add other proteins to it during the week

--Salad

--Pre-dinner beer: 21st Amendment's Hell or High Pomegranate, a variation on their Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer.  At 4.9% ABV, it was a nice beer to sip on during an 80-degree day while relaxing in the backyard.

4 hours ago, Behemoth said:

Pasta amatriciana. Carby carbs. I’m in a cooking rut. 

If this is a rut, I'm in trouble. 

Last night, @mongo_jones's chicken and potato "everyday" curry, over basmati rice. Lunch today was the same - reheated in the steam oven to good effect.

Tonight - potato/leek soup and steamed artichokes. Maybe hot dogs alongside.

In the potato rut!

I took the rice pilaf and added some RG desi chana, cooked first and then added to a simple saute of onion, shallots, cumin seeds, tomato paste, and homemade baharat.  Mongo's direction to give the desi chana an overnight soak, and then a 10-minute boil with lots of water before the simmer worked really well--they were done in about an hour.  They're so tiny and the skins are relatively thick, but I love the texture.

As close to vegan as it gets...

IMG_3996.thumb.jpg.cdae2ba81272cd92dd26da9881a74a08.jpg

Potato and leek soup. As Julia and Richard Olney prefer.  Leeks, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, chive to garnish. Maybe some olive oil and butter? (Close to vegan).

Steamed giant artichokes alongside with a nice dip. Mayo, horseradish, tarragon vinegar from @Orik's Foxface, olive oil, s & p.