Light dinner: tossed salad, omelet with winecap mushrooms that N is growing (they've been vetted for safety), and Portuguese egg tarts made by our South African catering connection.

• Replies 21.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Hummus w/manousche

Roast salmon
Barley with ramps and asparagus
Garlicky sautéed yellow chard w/toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds

And an excellent Sancerre to drink. Considering I was already thinking about drinking at 10 am, this really hit the spot.

• Like 1

Last night, a method of cooking I rarely do at home, for any number of reasons. But a hankering was had (which is what happens when channel surfing and stopping briefly on America's Test Kitchen while one of them was making this), so...

IMG_4103.thumb.jpeg.77f65226ac280226c5e9a0064c037b73.jpeg

I heated a quart of oil (a blend of peanut and sunflower) and...

IMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.e95baeb5aac65ea33fcd6ef20ec88c9a.jpeg

made Japanese fried chicken thighs. Marinated first in soy, sake, ginger, garlic and a touch of togarishi. The coating was cornstarch.

IMG_4106.thumb.jpeg.1526a64acc47e42e5b66ea37bddaf9af.jpeg

Karaage and Japanese-style shrimp salad.  Not shown but eaten - cucumber salad and rice. The chicken, as Bridget promised, was super crispy outside and moist and lovely within. Wow, and kind of easy too.

Mistake was possibly cutting the chicken pieces too small. Also, the chicken had been dry brined, which when all is said and done, probably not necessary with that marinade, so a little salty for me. Significant Eater loved it, and that's all important, right?

23 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

How did you vet them?  Did you give some to your neighbors first?

N bought the spores from a reputable company.  She's smart enough to not dig up or cultivate the mushrooms that occasionally pop up in the yard.  And we don't have that much difficulty with the neighbors. 😉

Homage to a Spanish restaurant on Bleecker, or maybe MacDougal, that hasn't existed for a while. It may have been Cafe Espanol, or it may have been something else. Partly to honor this freakishly large egg.

egg.jpg.afd2cc74c0c49225465e89e38dbab9c7.jpg

And partly to make use of that damn Riesling. So! Green salad with Catalina French dressing, as it was served, to the best of my recollection, at Francisco Centro Vasco (which was not on Bleecker or MacDougal, but whatever).

salad.jpg.05eaca74c1f2dbb64f138119e012c7eb.jpg

Huevos revueltos with asparagus, shrimp and hot pepper. Patatas bravas, only not, exactly, because I fear deep frying, so I cooked the potatoes in the oven. They came out good anyway!

eggs.jpg.9dc695e553e70f27f25a9624d4df4239.jpg

Random stuff: Gambas al ajillo, alioli, olives, iberico ham paste (basically smushed up ham ends), cantaloupe, toasted bread with tomato, manchego cheese. 

2019 Cies Blanco Albariño to drink, lovely. 

Pomegranate molasses chicken with a salad of barley, butternut squash, pistaschios and sage. Sage really made the dish which was really a function of what would cook quickly and what do I need to get rid of in my fridge.

• Like 1

Was dreaming of some old school Italian restaurant food, my hometown style. So...

IMG_4122.thumb.jpeg.68a6f9ea0c438531f4111c758bd9bfde.jpeg

Pane all'aglio.

IMG_4123.thumb.jpeg.10483696bb6b300c095a7dc0404449df.jpeg

Spaghetti aglio e olio. Carciofi (which I never had until moving to the left coast) alla Romana alongside.

Not great picture of a pretty satisfactory meal. Poached egg on asparagus. Potato and ramp latke muffin. Seeking a better name for the latter.

697392211_poachedegg.jpg.3f35d6a7ce90d6e12e2e4b840a3fd036.jpg