You know, you have a fancy meal, then meet a friend the following night and drink too much...all of a sudden, I miss my cooking, so...

IMG_4162.thumb.jpeg.f556f5e5f9e76025c424c2744330bd8c.jpeg

Penne, with shrimp, asparagus, shallots, garlic, herbs. And a salad.

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

On 5/13/2021 at 7:57 PM, small h said:

If you're responding to me (and apologies if you're not), I am drawn to the name Latins, but I don't understand it. How'd you get there?

The word yummy makes me stabby.

It was from LATke muffINS

Yummy is terrible. Who came up with that word? I also hate appies and sammies, though. And "to die for"

Yesterday I made 6 burgers on the grill. That's it, because I'm trying to figure out temperatures. I think with a 22" grill I just need to use more charcoal, because it just didn't get that hot.

Then tonight I made flank steak. I used a lot of charcoal (maybe 50 or 60 briquettes?) And this time it got pretty hot. I used direct heat to sear it, then indirect to finish it off. I only cooked it to 135F which was too rare for some people, but I thought it was perfect. I sliced off some for myself after it had rested, then put the rest back on the grill to cook a little more.    

I also made two meatloaves (meatloafs?) while the flank was on indirect heat. Perfectly cooked after about an hour, but I forgot to make the glaze, so I just used some Kansas City barbeque sauce which I bought in Kansas City a couple of years ago. Kinda spicy. I like it. 

It's a big kettle (for some reason I though you had the 18"); though I never counted briquettes (except maybe for smoking), it takes 1/3 - 1/2 of a 10 lb. bag to get that sucker good and hot for direct grilling. Like a full chimney and then when they are burning, pour them out and add more on top and let them come up to ash.

I tend to like flank steak pushing medium; but really, it all depends on how well it's sliced.

I've made paella countless times. Easy meal for a group. But this was the first time I actually cooked it over an open fire up at our cabin. Typically I arrange the peppers and beans a little more artfully but the fire was hot enough that I couldn't spend much time with my hand over the pan.

Honestly, with a little tending of the fire, it was easy to get an even simmer going and there was a little smoke flavor (the wood was split birch).

2135662216_MicrosoftTeams-image(5).png

• Like 1
4 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

It's a big kettle (for some reason I though you had the 18"); though I never counted briquettes (except maybe for smoking), it takes 1/3 - 1/2 of a 10 lb. bag to get that sucker good and hot for direct grilling. Like a full chimney and then when they are burning, pour them out and add more on top and let them come up to ash.

I tend to like flank steak pushing medium; but really, it all depends on how well it's sliced.

The first and second uses, I counted briquettes and used the number the manual suggested. Last night, I just poured it from the bag into the chimney and got what I got, which was a full chimney. I think it was probably closer to 60, maybe even more. It was hard to tell how full the chimney was getting as I was pouring, because I'm too short for a bird's eye view.      

I think I have enough briquettes for one more cook, then I'll try the lump charcoal I got from Costco. I want to try ribs and a pork butt next. Brisket after that, just because I want burnt ends. But after seeing SLBunge's photo, I want to try paella, too! Might have to work my way up to that! 

55 minutes ago, prasantrin said:

But after seeing SLBunge's photo, I want to try paella, too! Might have to work my way up to that! 

I think you might need to be a lot closer to the fire to make the paella in the kettle.

Yesterday: too much risotto Milanese, veal saltimbocca, and white asparagus with brown butter and breadcrumbs.

today: arancini with the rest of the risotto, filled with a little mozzarella…and Mallorcan sobrassada. 

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

I think you might need to be a lot closer to the fire to make the paella in the kettle.

I haven't cooked on a kettle in a long time but if you can get it hot enough to sear a steak you should be able to simmer a pan of paella. Might need more charcoal then you are used to. And you could throw something else on when the pan comes off the grill because you will have a lot of remaining heat. Grill some vegetables for summer salads or something.

My attempt at mongo's "Better Than Butter" chicken...

IMG_4172.thumb.jpeg.ed5580fd3be38d7e556d17e14dd18a46.jpeg

was delicious, if not as red as mongo's; though in discussions with the recipe writer, it was determined that the chili powder I used was probably not as red as the chili powder used in the dish accompanying his recipe.

Also, it was determined (by me) that I'm an idiot because I thought the mirchi powder (see photo below) I used meant a specific type of chili; upon learning that mirchi actually means chili in Hindi, I thought about offing myself via the Instant Pot, but decided against.

1122521996_Indianspices10-17.jpeg.1fe23e25291ebbed7550ced9517b9e6c.jpeg

So...question @mongo_jones...

The Kashmiri red chili, which I also have in powdered form - would that be a good one to use, or is it too mild for this dish?

Oh, and significantly, Significant Eater commented how good the dish was, noting the nice acidic component added by both the yogurt and tomatoes.

i just wouldn't worry too much about the colour. make sure you cook the tomatoes down, use a chilli powder you like and you're fine. but if you do want to make it redder without making it too mild, do a mix of ground byadgi chillies and whatever the hottest chilli powder you have is. if you don't have byadgi, kashmiri is fine but it's milder still.

• Like 1