1 hour ago, mongo_jones said:

if you don't have byadgi, kashmiri is fine but it's milder still.

I do have both whole and the Kashmiri in powder - it's bright bright red.

Sorry about the extra eG traffic on your blog; I'm always surprised at new members joining frequently, many dealing with start up operations, etc.  Not anything on restaurants to speak of.

• Replies 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Because 1) it's been a long, hot, exhausting day, and 2) I am definitely porking up lately, and 3) the balcony lettuce is gorgeous and loving the heat. Egg and (brined, poached) shrimp salad with smoked paprika, radish greens pesto pasta salad, and various vegetables lurking in the fridge or on the windowsill.

IMG_7649.jpg.f3e8569155173e5171c6a2788af8b3d3.jpg

1675014212_Chirashi05-21.thumb.jpeg.3f904fb8883c3ce547a59f9f2f053512.jpeg

Chirashi.  I've gotten pretty good at banging chirashi out fairly quickly now (especially with only 2 seafoods). While the rice is cooking, I'm prepping the rest (the wild shrimp had already been poached).  Side salad of pickles from the Pickle Guys and sliced tomatoes and cukes.

Cod loin with saffron, lemon, rosemary & garlic. Potato and carrot mashed with thyme. Very thankful for this year's very productive balcony garden! Herbs are pretty powerful when you cut them 10:00 before you cook with them.

cod.jpg.15676289c11932e73f1d9ca6da97156a.jpg

Last meal before husband returns from the country.   Indulged in maitaki that he hates.   My plate = bloody rare ground chuck puck with sauted shrooms.   

950744041_ScreenShot2021-05-23at4_48_02PM.thumb.png.8fc63605f7a9a14b40eeccdf94cf0965.png

I made agedashi tofu for the first time. I don’t know why I waited so long, it is dead easy. Otherwise mostly a kill the leftovers dinner. Kids had toast. 

IMG_4194.thumb.jpeg.2f97a8de4f7d98847789cd7314430075.jpeg

Duck legs (Rohan duh) (but not necessarily duh, since I also have a bunch of legs from Hudson Valley Duck farm) (which are decidedly different), cured overnight, slow roasted (like 2.5 hours) and then crisped up. Not crispy enough for me potatoes, but my own fault for being lazy. Cooked enough asparagus. A Burgundian leaning California Pinot Noir to drink.

8 hours ago, Behemoth said:

I made agedashi tofu for the first time. I don’t know why I waited so long, it is dead easy. Otherwise mostly a kill the leftovers dinner. Kids had toast. 

I love agedashi tofu. I used to go to an izakaya in Kyoto that did a version using kirimochi. I loved that even more. 

1 hour ago, prasantrin said:

I love agedashi tofu. I used to go to an izakaya in Kyoto that did a version using kirimochi. I loved that even more. 

It is such a great dish. I was worried silken tofu would fall apart in the frying process but it just doesn't. 

2 hours ago, Behemoth said:

It is such a great dish. I was worried silken tofu would fall apart in the frying process but it just doesn't. 

The tsuyu is really good with onsen tamago, too. I used to use it for hiyayakko tofu (cold tofu) and somen, too. I think the proportions of dashi/shoyu/etc are slightly different for each dish, but to my foreigner taste buds, they all tasted similar enough. 

• Like 1

Clam and asparagus nage with green garlic, shaved radish, herbs and lemon. I have never before described something as a nage, but there's always a first time.

nage.jpg.ab301a4af35702f5723673cd00912d3b.jpg