• Replies 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Salt-preserved egg #2 used in this salad, along with charred eggplant, shrimp, tomatoes, and adolescent leeks in a vinegar, onion and fish sauce dressing. The eggs were very pleasing as an ingredient and didn't taste aggressively salty. The vinegar was a bit much, and I'd cut back on it next time. And I finally got a nice char on the eggplant, after trying to achieve this more times than I can count. Now I have to scrub one of my stove burners pretty hard. But I feel there will be babaganoush in my future.

IMG_8975.jpg.06b6d14151373d65ea3d288506c5d7ae.jpg

God I love leftovers. I went a little crazy on Friday with the salads so that was dinner -

Corn & Rancho Gordo's Ayocote Morado Beans with a pomegranate molasses vinaigrette
Green Beans, shallots, red pepper, & tomato in a dijon vinaigrette
Emmer with nectarines, jicama, and corn
Roasted eggplant smothered in charmoula

Local summer eating at its finest.

Tried Jacques Pepin's method of opening clams by heating them at 350 for 6:00 until they're just open enough to shuck. And it worked! I should probably invest in clam knife at some point, though.

IMG_8999.jpg.2074d4ef050482ce79c72026c29370c2.jpg

Trying to keep the balcony chard and basil in check, so Paula Wolfert's chard and chickpeas (excellent) and charred corn with basil, tomatoes, red onion and oregano (pretty good).

IMG_9001.jpg.4f5f0ba4022f4fa787067a4b3385ed47.jpg

• Like 1

By the time we realized that our dinner plans had fallen through, it was too late to make any decent revision -> baked potatoes, dribble of guanciale drippings, guanciale, Mexican sour cream, chives,

888723562_ScreenShot2021-07-27at7_51_36AM.thumb.png.4c406b64d08825cb1e15b9a9bdd32bcc.png

To be honest, I enjoyed this more than the Indian take-out we were promised.  

On Sunday, N made a "base" of RG ceci neri and roasted eggplant & cherry tomatoes.  Dinner was a dressed salad over frisee (I added tinned sardines to the leftovers last night); tonight we'll have the base over penne.

Download not cooperating but it looks like what it sounds like.    Rosti based Eggs Benedict with ham and Hollandaise.   A lovely change for a lightish supper.    On the side, garden mache with Momofuko ranch dressing.  

14 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

Those savory Dutch babies look amazing.  Do you make them in individual cast iron pans?

Recipes usually suggest 9-10" cast iron pan.   I wanted 2 individual ones, easier to serve with a "loose" garnish.   Made half a recipe meant for 4.    Dug out two roughly 7" clay baking dishes which worked perfectly.    Preheated in 450 oven for 15 minutes, anointed with splash of saved guanciale fat and poured in batter.    Easy removal and no clean up.

With apologies, these were sublime!    DB are such a blank canvas for anything you throw at them.   

That looks delicious! Exactly like something I would love! Runny yolks, I hope?      

When I was still living in Japan and was too lazy to make hash browns, i would use the leftover crumbs of Krinkle-cut Kettle chips. Almost as good!

Pork and veg (cauliflower, mushroom, tomato, avocado) tonnato.    Husband graded it "interesting" aka gentleman's B or public school C.     Me?   Tomorrow's another day...

972839217_ScreenShot2021-07-30at5_30_21PM.thumb.png.d0fb02c301a0d385353b52ff5c6250b4.png