It's a conundrum. I'm not comfortable eating in a crowded indoor space, I want to support restaurants, I get that under-staffing is a big problem. But JFC, shouldn't getting my money be a priority? I've eaten - I don't need you anymore! Nothing's keeping me but guilt.

• Replies 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

And it's still a month and a half until it starts feeling like literal Siberia. 

I'd leave a note with email and phone explaining the long wait and asking the restaurant to send me an invoice. 

eta: of course if you don't have a pen handy you might have to flag down a server for that 

7 minutes ago, Orik said:

I'd leave a note with email and phone explaining the long wait and asking the restaurant to send me an invoice. 

This is not a bad idea at all, and I always have a pen.

Hey, it's not as if I don't cook just because we went out to dinner two nights in a row...

1992769686_Chickenpersilladeoverricepilaf09-04-21.thumb.jpeg.fc8b941f98e96b2057dc4098087276df.jpeg

Chicken persillade (since I'd recently seen Jacques make it; evidently his mom persilladed everything!) over saffron artichoke rice pilaf.

IMG_4830.thumb.jpeg.bb325fa7dd7573099e25055fb1585017.jpeg

Some pork shoulder trimmings I had in the freezer. Sliced them up, presalted for a few hours, and sautéed them with roasted Hatch chilis and yellow bells. So tender and more delicious that I thought it might be. @rancho_gordo's mayocoba beans. Guacamole. Tomato salad. Good corn. Tortillas. Happy Significant Eater. 

18 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

OK, seriously, to me this is probably the biggest problem with outdoor dining.  The waitstaff doesn't patrol the outdoor dining areas the way they do a dining room.  Generally, they only come out to a table when they have a reason to -- and then they're on a mission, so it can be hard to attract their attention if you're at another table and have some unexpected need (say, a clean fork) (or even just a water refill).  What's more, out of sight, out of mind:  I've been simply forgotten, as you were, with some frequency.

This is really why (one of the whys, anyway) I just avoid dining outside.  I don't have time for that shit.  I'd rather stay home.

I think it depends on where you go.  As I mentioned in the NY thread about disappearing main courses, we’ve only dined outdoors at very few places. At Kreuther (been 2 times), Marjorelle, Union Square Cafe, Paul & Jimmy’s, and Mark’s Off Madison (been 4 times!), service staff is divided into two categories: servers who only take care of outdoor tables while other servers take care of indoor tables. Ergo, very attentive outdoor service. 

Mrs. P made her famous pan seared boneless quail breast salad with grilled figs, toasted pine nuts, roasted mini and shishito peppers, blue cheese, arugula, sautéed red onions, and various sliced fruit among other ingredients. It was topped with reduced balsamic syrup. She also made roasted figs with blue cheese and toasted pine nuts and reduced balsamic syrup. It all went great with an excellent Malbec. It was a beautiful evening for al fresco dining on the deck.

C4D2275D-7940-4775-9DFB-BD0317B4CDAD.jpeg

9D1B8A4F-150D-47F6-A242-EFA131A71C72.jpeg

B8867E69-4193-4B71-97C5-0811F7F98EDE.jpeg

74CFA884-10F1-4D3B-9881-542C7F3B076C.jpeg

48CB27CA-3378-46DC-8AA6-142B27635173.jpeg

506F6B1B-6CE1-46B5-864B-4CA67A3AB419.jpeg

IMG_9668.jpg.9355873c3c89324433242ff4715d9056.jpg

Salade nicoise-ish. Tomatoes - beautiful Pink Berkeley Tie Dyes! -, string beans, cucumbers grown by me (I managed to please the garden gods this year). The last pickled egg, and it wasn't too salty, so yay. Also found a use for the not-very-good honey dijon spread that came with Hudson Valley Fisheries Father's Day salmon. I've been holding on to that for a while!

The best use I've found for it is palmiers to keep in the freezer for emergency hors d'oeuvres. Slather it on thawed puff pastry. Top that with shredded parmesan and slices of proscuitto. Roll. Slice. Freeze. Bake at 425 right of the freezer.