• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

I've not really utilized the broiler on my Wolf range to any extent. I've used it to heat up the steel for baking pizza, a la modernist something, but to cook a hunk of protein a la steak house - nah.

But I had this rather humongous grass-fed steak in my freezer; it's over 2 libs. about 1.25" - 1.50" thick.

IMG_5884.thumb.jpeg.f7db8a5664c2ed7afb7a32351e4c33d7.jpeg

And something got into me. So, I cranked the broiler (there's only one temp - ON - heat is basically adjusted by how close to the fire the food is - yeah, like a grill!)...

IMG_5885.thumb.jpeg.a7c24a465295464160e52fda2c84fef6.jpeg

I cooked 3 minutes a side. And then an extra minute to finish.  It really should've gone for another minute or even two, giving me a little more temp (i.e. the way Significant Eater likes it), but I was kinda worried about overcooking it; didn't come close to that (I still found a few pieces done enough for her).

Was delicious, and I have a ton of leftovers/scraps - which may get turned into laghman?

31 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Thanks but I’ve resolved not to get any more percebes until I’ve cleared some stuff out of my freezer. 

I'm seriously working on depleting my freezer too cause I just committed to 1/2 of a pig for delivery in 2022. 😁

Husband has been Jonesing for Clement Street take out for several days.    Yesterday we were late to grab what we'd planned.   "Sold out, sorry."    So we went out earlier today, like 1pm, to find lines literally around the block at our target shops.   So back home.    Pull out half a strip steak, half head of broccoli, onion, mushroom, usually sauce ingredients -> pretty acceptable Gringo stir fry.   

1148703981_ScreenShot2022-01-01at6_15_17PM.thumb.png.6692b39d5bf33eb3d4eb3895092924c4.png

A lovely looking plate...

8F2098D3-529C-4680-BA0B-4C0B1D604F00.thumb.jpeg.f66ed82f696fb0b4e2c3546ae2a16c91.jpeg

Of @rancho_gordo's Black eyed peas, Carolina gold rice, and roasted cabbage. I did have a roasted duck leg leftover, that was picked and thrown atop both of our plates.

Night before...

IMG_5898.thumb.jpeg.0e095eee5df241e2b4eaec7f9316e9df.jpeg

The makings of Uzbek Lagman, with the leftover (and there was a lot leftover) rib eye and its bones!

We also had RG's black-eyed peas, cooked with bacon, ham hocks, and broccoli greens from our garden (naturally sweeter than collards). Served with a true South African side, braaipap, which is a cornmeal mush between grits and polenta in texture. It's a traditional side at a braai (barbecue), especially when you put tomato & onion sauce on top: https://www.africanhut.com/products/premier-braaipap-1kg?variant=39721563160664.  Cole's Classic Christmas Pudding for dessert.

Doesn't look like much but hit the spot.    (SF Mission district style) prawn cocktail.    Prawns, prawn water, catsup, Valentina sauce, chopped onion, cucumber, avocado, cilantro, lemon.     House tostados.    Huge amount -> seconds.

936365299_ScreenShot2022-01-02at4_58_55PM.png.4a108856ba1dfe018a904c7e76287707.png

Husband was chomping at the bits or I could have mustered better service bowls.   

Tonight I recount a tale not of victory snatched from the jaws of defeat, but rather of, charitably, a draw, quietly wrested. The oven has been grumbling for months about being an oven, and having to do oven things like heat up, and today it decided to just say fuck it, this is not what I was meant for, and 163 degrees is as hot as I'm gonna get (it's the igniter - we looked it up). This was unfortunate, because my plan was to make a twice baked potato with caviar, which you kinda need an oven for.

So I pivoted! I microwaved the potato. It got hot, and sort of cooked, but not at all fluffy. I had to chop it up in order to mix it with butter and sour cream and parsley. I ran it under the broiler for a bit (the broiler still works, go figure) and got something actually recognizable as food. Woot.

IMG_1052.jpg.347a9518bdff4672bbb9602db99fd6b6.jpg

Life could be worse. Life could also be better.

I'd ordered and received a bunch of stuff on New Year's Eve day from Regalis, as they were having a free shipping deal with certain items. So in addition to some caviar and Périgord black truffles, I also scored some black truffle butter and a Jidori chicken (to try it out). 

Here's the Jidori chicken, ready to roast, stuffed under the skin with plenty of truffle butter and thin slices of Périgord truffle.  You should have heard the cursing as I made my attempts at trussing this bird; I'm way out of practice, as I don't really truss chickens any more, but felt it would be a good thing to do with this beast, and we (the bird and I) finally settled on an old Julia method, literally using a trussing needle after failing with no needle (something I used to be pretty good at)...

IMG_5912.thumb.jpeg.37e00d63bb9ec105880654e855092db5.jpeg

Et voilà!

IMG_5914.thumb.jpeg.931daef6578f67037cd99493252f109b.jpeg

The bird then rested for a good 20 - 30 minutes before carving, and the pan and its fond made for a nice jus, which was served alongside the carved bird...

IMG_5917.thumb.jpeg.8e8042caa87074c4932a22e5aef16e3e.jpeg

Some of the breast carved without the skin for certain diners (yet the skin might've been enjoyed in the kitchen). Served with a nice, simple green salad.

Oh - and this...

IMG_5916.thumb.jpeg.9844531d28aef7d35e7e4fe917e08b7a.jpeg

Pommes Dauphinoise...cream and milk and butter, no cheese version.

The starter for dinner (and for which there's no picture, cuz the chef is a dope)...oeufs brouillés à la truffe.  Which, if I do say so myself, was a damn good version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1