12 hours ago, StephanieL said:

At one point, when we were eating N looked up and said "Have I told you how much I love living in California?" 

Thanks for moving here!

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

They (we?) all say that.  Until that first good quake, fire, landslide, flood, water rationing... 

California is not for everyone but most people don't get that.   They come for a comfy life  and find living costs unimaginable, commutes from hell, taxes that suck you dry.  

Unless one has the Steph's and N's gumption, its not an easy ride.   

• Like 1
  • Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

They (we?) all say that.  Until that first good quake, fire, landslide, flood, water rationing... 

I think that's what makes it compelling in a way -- these wild and extraordinary landscapes that sit on the edge of danger. 

8 minutes ago, Behemoth said:

I think that's what makes it compelling in a way -- these wild and extraordinary landscapes that sit on the edge of danger. 

As well as on the edge of the tectonic plate!

11 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Well, we've had a few quakes and a lot of bad fires, and she still says that.  I don't think NYC ever truly suited her, as much as she loved the food, the arts scene, etc.  Winter was a drag for her (the cold and the darkness), and the pace of life was much faster and brusquer than where she had come from.  Our part of California reminds her of home in so many ways.

And remember, coming here wasn't entirely a free choice.  We're here because of N's job.  Tenure-track university positions are really hard to come by, and we could have ended up nearly anywhere (though she didn't apply to schools in areas that would have been hostile for us).  For a while, I thought she was going to end up in rural Maine. It was luck that she got hired out here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

technically this isn’t the first time i’ve lived in california 

when my mom and i emigrated here, she got married to some mormon and we lived in this little town near mount shasta near the oregon border. one of these days i’ll tell all y’all about that…i buried those memories and have only started to remember some of them.

1 hour ago, StephanieL said:

For a while, I thought she was going to end up in rural Maine. It was luck that she got hired out here.

Since my grandparents came from rural Maine in the mid'50s, I can claim the same sigh of relief.   

As I wrote, there are no earthly panaceas .   Choose your angels and demons.   We choose among predictable climates and phenomenons,     Withering summer humidity with breath taking heat, winter blizzards, tornadoes and hurricanes.   Garbage removal strikes.  

Earthquakes are a constant possibility/probability here.   So we throw the dice.   I was born on the beach and have lived here for my entire life.    I need the blue of the ocean and green of the hills, the fog so I don't need shades, the many colors of our residents, the embracing political clime.   People like Steph and N enriching our socio-economic-political pool.   

• Like 1

I've never had to experience Mormonism up close and personal. And individuals I've known are nice enough. But things I've learned, including what I learned recently while touring a Mormon Temple (just prior to its being blessed or whatever) have made me feel very uneasy about it

11 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I don't think NYC ever truly suited her, as much as she loved the food, the arts scene, etc.  Winter was a drag for her (the cold and the darkness), and the pace of life was much faster and brusquer than where she had come from.  Our part of California reminds her of home in so many ways.

And remember, coming here wasn't entirely a free choice.  We're here because of N's job.  Tenure-track university positions are really hard to come by, and we could have ended up nearly anywhere (though she didn't apply to schools in areas that would have been hostile for us).  For a while, I thought she was going to end up in rural Maine. It was luck that she got hired out here.

All good reasons.  I moved there for school, fun and sun and nude beaches (More Mesa! Santa Barbara!), Silicon Valley in the 80s, learning how to eat avocados and artichokes, etc.

10 hours ago, voyager said:

I need the blue of the ocean and green of the hills, the fog so I don't need shades, the many colors of our residents, the embracing political clime. 

I've got all of these, possibly even to a greater extent than you (well, except the fog and I need a/c).