• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Dinner last night -

Chicken soup with matzoh balls (made by the boy. I only supervised)
Turkey breast with an apricot sauce (my mom's recipe. Haven't made it in well over a decade)
Emmer, pear, and date salad
Roasted eggplant with charmoula

Puilly Fuisse to drink.

Low-carb chili bowl. Made with eggplant, mushroom and normal chili stuff. Over riced cauliflower, with (the last of the) sour cream, cheddar and and avocado relish. You can’t really call it guac ‘cause it has red onion and tomato and no cilantro. Anyway, not bad!

36E15EE8-4047-44C5-8768-030C44485F13.jpeg

• Thanks 1

No pics.   Adequate tomato jazzed up with sprinkle of brightening sugar, Maldon, cracked pepper + fresh mozzarella and splash of Nueva Amphora Gremolata EVOO.

Chicken roasted ala Judy Rogers but momofuku ranch dressing smeared over the skin; mashed tates; gravy.    I tried to restrain but wound up aping Henry VIII.   There is no part of a roast chicken I don't find beguiling.  

I wanted spareribs. Because I have a rack of  baby back spareribs (defrosted) from my local (new) meat share, as well as some gorgeous Italian sausages from Ends Meats. You can search through a fair number of Italian cookbooks, and find very few sparerib recipes. Marcella always comes through, however, and this is a version of a recipe once made many moons ago. 

Spareribs get cut into individual ribs. Sausages get cut into 1/3s or 1/4s.  And they get started with some onion, carrot, celery...

IMG_6053.thumb.jpeg.c80dbaf3b1590c56eae3ac51bd6ec58b.jpeg

Splash or two of white wine to deglaze, and a cup and a half of tomatoes and their juices go in. Braised on the stove top, until done...(an hour and half to two)...

IMG_6061.thumb.jpeg.fe269086bac1b22cbeed4b5bbd64fa35.jpeg

Served over polenta. Perfect for a crowd. Or even for two, with a ton of leftovers.  

Chicken (breast) stew with leeks and mushrooms, and dropped dumplings on top.  Nice, comforting meal--the house is stubbornly cold despite sun, daytime highs in the low 60s, and the heat on most of the day.  

3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

Chicken (breast) stew with leeks and mushrooms, and dropped dumplings on top.  Nice, comforting meal--the house is stubbornly cold despite sun, daytime highs in the low 60s, and the heat on most of the day.  

On a similar brain wave...lard crust chicken pot pie.

1571645124_ScreenShot2022-01-31at5_02_29PM.thumb.png.b9b2c8cf9013a9f4e3ea5e1110f5adf1.png

103730434_ScreenShot2022-01-31at5_02_52PM.thumb.png.c7f0cb08c50befa4a0532272ffd8a14f.png

IMG_6067.thumb.jpeg.fe3b104632de6af371150e4926fa984c.jpeg

Not by any means repurposed, as part of the reason for making a dish like the one made the other night (sausages and ribs, a la Marcella) is to have a few meals out of it, and as @Sneakeater has oft opined, the dish gets better the next time or two you eat it.

So...the heritage ribs and Ends Meat's sausage, served over bucatini, which was tossed with some sauce and then topped with more.

Gotta ask @AaronS - do you think the reason the kids didn't like the sausage you served them from Ends Meat was because of texture?  It's definitely much coarser than any kind of hot doggy thing.