4 hours ago, voyager said:

For eel virgins, here is an excellent tutorial.

When I was in high school, worked in meat, fish, and deli departments of various local supermarkets in a supermarket chain, back when various local supermarkets had those departments well-staffed.  (It was the Hills chain, for those who care).

Around Christmas, we'd start getting eels. Sometimes alive, sometimes not. All I know is that the preparation process, for customers who wanted them prepped, involved hammers, nails, and pliers. And lots of rags.

• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Kiikuya Chrysanthemum House, in Narita. I had an excellent unagi don, but first I had to walk past this guy killing eels in the doorway. At least you know they're fresh!

237790124_kiikuyachrysanthemumhouse.png.fbb50ebe33b349bd49774d740abb3f70.png

37 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Yeah, it's post our grade-school era, but...Bohack!

I was in high school when my family moved from the LES to Laurelton (1957). There was a Bohack (where we shopped) and an A&P.

Ah, Waldbaum’s! Many years ago, there was one in Freehold. Even though it wasn’t the closest supermarket near our house, I loved shopping there. And was totally bummed when it closed.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, small h said:

Kiikuya Chrysanthemum House, in Narita. I had an excellent unagi don, but first I had to walk past this guy killing eels in the doorway. At least you know they're fresh!

237790124_kiikuyachrysanthemumhouse.png.fbb50ebe33b349bd49774d740abb3f70.png

Similar to the pliers technique, and there's the nail!

Yep! He had a bucket of live eels by his side, and would dispatch and prep each one in less than a minute. Was the pliers for removing the spine? He used a knife.

45 minutes ago, small h said:

Yep! He had a bucket of live eels by his side, and would dispatch and prep each one in less than a minute. Was the pliers for removing the spine? He used a knife.

If my memory serves me correctly, the pliers were used to pull the skin off.

Digby Anderson, the 1980s Spectator food writer had a great column on prepping eels for Christmas dinner. Bring them home live, let them swim in the bath until you’re ready, then comes the nail.

I have no particular desire to murder eels but I am ashamed I’ve never cooked fresh eel. I’ve eaten plenty of it.

1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

Digby Anderson, the 1980s Spectator food writer had a great column on prepping eels for Christmas dinner. Bring them home live, let them swim in the bath until you’re ready, then comes the nail.

I have no particular desire to murder eels but I am ashamed I’ve never cooked fresh eel. I’ve eaten plenty of it.

Eels in the bathtub was a major deterrent to our acquiring an otter as a pet in the early '60s.    "Ring of Bright Water" apparently had a lot of unforeseen consequence as others had fewer qualms.   

We settled on an Old English Sheepdog, probably no less intractable but didn't require live food.

It was at the time.    Robinson's on Maiden Lane was a purveyor of exotic pets.    $300 at the time, and came with several pages of disclaimers.    We fortunately came to our senses.