On 8/4/2022 at 7:10 PM, StephanieL said:

Lamb merguez from the local butcher with homemade flatbread (it has a little yogurt in the dough) and a tomato-cucumber-green olive salad.

We had leftover olive salad and flatbread dough, so N bought chicken thighs, marinated them in olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, and other herbs, and grilled them and the flatbread.  Fort Point Westfalia (Nurnberg red ale) to drink.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

A starter plate for each of us, with apéritifs...

IMG_7386.thumb.jpeg.62396d4f77fd8572db296f314d429d4d.jpeg

Crudite, olives, grilled artichokes, good tuna in olive oil from Donostia Foods.

IMG_7387.thumb.jpeg.22c3634004c64288f9ec2b6fefb7e48c.jpeg

Penne and string beans in pesto.  I didn't love the pesto tasting it plain when I made it the day before.  But a little rest, and then using half of it on the pasta - it came out really good.

--Pan-seared lingcod fillets, finished with white wine and lemon zest
--Ratatouille
--Crispy purple potatoes cooked in duck fat; the potatoes were freshly dug from our garden
--Strawberry ice cream for dessert

The leftover potatoes and ratatouille will be augmented with canned tuna for my lunch tomorrow.

2029615336_ChickencurryJapanese08-08-22.thumb.jpeg.d6bfda4ef35ad40e175de8cd4a132511.jpeg

Japanese chicken curry - subbed in celeriac for the classic potatoes, and it was very good.

And since it was very hot (and since I tweaked my back), I also subbed in steamed chicken from the scallion chicken I had purchased at Wu's when I picked up some lunch there.  It didn't suffer from being heated up in the curry; actually, the white meat on the bone was perfect for Significant Eater, who has a bit of a problem when she sees blood red chicken near the bone. Me? I prefer the ribs, back, wings, legs, neck, etc. Which you get all of (including the feet) when purchasing a steamed chicken at Wu's.

N loves steak salads, so since it was perfect grilling weather yesterday we had grilled New York strip over arugula with chimichurri, cherry tomatoes, and avocado. Garlic-rubbed sourdough toast on the side, iced green tea with lemongrass & mint to drink.  We'll have the leftovers tonight, with beets subbing for the avocado.

• Like 1

Tamales purchased out of an SUV in Lodi Home Depot parting lot.    Cheese and green chilis, altho pork and chicken were also available.  6/$13.    With fresh corn and peaches from a farm down the road, a nice first night in the country dinner. 

1036738359_ScreenShot2022-08-12at7_38_30AM.thumb.png.921e22b653e2574d27aec17fb63e058c.png

May this should go into "things you learn every day" but I never realized that Lodi that far north. I thought it was closer to Bakersfield/Visalia. (I know someone who grew up in Visalia which is the only reason I've heard of it.)

• Like 1