• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

@Evelyn I'm sorry for having given this impression.    Our dinners are pathetic!     I am so burnt out that thinking of something to put on the table is my biggest daily worry.   As I've suggested, I'm trying to get adopted by small h or joe, and ordering take-out from Sneak when they have other plans and aren't cooking.

1 hour ago, small h said:

Bluefish with rosemary mayo, broiled eggplant and corn with jalapenos and basil. A grilled dinner for when you can't grill. Well, you can, but your upstairs neighbor might object.

IMG_4063.jpg.9c1b4e546b57ae32e61f347333be0fa8.jpg

You and Sneak sent me on a bluefish Google search.    I was interested because I am not an oily fish eater.   I know, I know, but that club is just too elite for me.     While I found a half dozen or so recipes that claim to ameliorate the fish's strong flavor profile, I couldn't help laughing at this ending to a long discussion and recipe:

"To serve, take the fish and cast iron skillet out of the oven, place the bluefish in the trashcan, and serve the cast iron skillet immediately."

I've read that last sentence about another type of food, and now I can't remember what. I really don't find bluefish that strong a taste. Mackerel is a lot more intense, according to me.

7 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Why would you want to ameliorate the bluefish's strong flavor?

Some people can't eat onions because they "stay with them".   I can eat onions like apples.   But I'm that way with rich fish.

Salmon, sardines, mackerel, all the hip fish "stay" with me.    Or as they used to say, "repeat".    Smoked is even worse.   However, I have no problem with them raw.