• Replies 23.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

We don't like to go out on Saturday nights.  Strangely, I don't really like to cook on Saturday nights. So make it easy.

Minimal ingredient (i.e. the right way -  no onions, no garlic) Penne all'Amatriciana.

IMG_7699.thumb.jpeg.184c707c2273deb41066443a271be72f.jpeg

And...

IMG_7701.thumb.jpeg.16e612ba90a6b5ee7e7c17c216ec7e55.jpeg

Broccoli and carrots, steamed and tossed with butter, olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper.

No herbs were harmed in the making of this dinner.

Sunday cooking project: Parm. Pretty good parm. Not great parm. Eggplant was tough for some reason. And I keep using fresh mozz when I should use supermarket mozz. Also, parsley instead of basil, 'cause the basil's dead.

Still! Parm. Even when it's not great, it's still good.

parm.jpg.02a70d7bfd208380fea425bd4999bc6f.jpg

• Like 1

I went a little crazy ordering some rice and cowpeas from this place...

IMG_7709.thumb.jpeg.44525575f910fce40dd1105c762e6ff7.jpeg

Three different rices...and cowpeas, cause I don't have enough dried legumes in the pantry.

These are very different from the cowpeas also known as black-eyed peas, even though they're pretty much the same botanically...https://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/store/products/Carolina-Plantation-CowPeas.html

So I made Hoppin' John. And had some smothered cabbage on the side. And it was the least photogenic meal made...maybe ever. But man it was tasty.

IMG_7715.thumb.jpeg.106f494296a3fa67dc41c93e63528313.jpeg

Chinese-ish chicken (thigh) and vegetable stir-fry...red and green bell peppers, Cremini mushrooms, and onions. 

I'm not really a "stir-fryer" as they might stir-fry in a restaurant; I tend to go slower. But all the seasonings, from fresh garlic, ginger, scallions and hot peppers to Shao Xing wine, soy, Chingkiang vinegar, chili/garlic stuff, etc. etc. are the real deal. The use of thickening agents (in this case, potato starch) tends to be less than in a restaurant as well.

Jasmine rice.

Yesterday afternoon i put together a casserole of scalloped potatoes and ham, threw it in the oven.   Cell rings.   Son is not quite hysterical, shouting that his wife has fallen at an ice rink, hit her head lost vision and he was 100 miles east en route to the country.    Can we collect and stabilize the three kids, and should he return or continue, dump his load at their country place and return, ETA 9PM.    "Keep going.   We'll collect and feed the kids and entertain them until you get here.    In the meantime we are receiving reports of d-i-l's concussion and hairline skull fracture.   At UCSF, in good hands.

I had the kids wash, cut up and stir fry the chard.   They tuck into and love this peasant meal.    One asks, "Ama, how many nights a week do you make a meal like this?" "Every night."   They wolfed the entire dish.

They left the table and read from our kid collection until I asked if they wanted to make caramel sauce for ice creak.   "You can MAKE caramel sauce????"   So on to hot caramel sundaes.   

Then a Poirot video with a lot of French translations and the kids staying on top of the plot.   

Tonight is pretty quiet in comparison.