I had a hellish trip home last night (late/cancelled/rerouted trains, the whole lot), so dragged myself through the door with a desire for something very easy and very comforting:

Penne with 3-cheese sauce (blue, parm, ricotta).

Pineapple.

• Replies 23.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Baby Octopus and baby squid linguine.

I followed mario's recipe that said to boil the baby octopi (they were really cute, I laid them out on my cutting board after cleaning them and wanted to take a picture but then felt kind of morbid about it) in red wine vinegar and water with a cork. Does anyone know if the cork thing is an old wives tale?

Then sauteed the baby squid (cut into rings) in garlic and OO, added tomato sauce, jalapeno pesto, baby octopi, and the linguine.

Leftover soup that hadn't improved with time. Then, from a favourite book that I don't think I've cooked from before, Les Savoies Gastronomiques by Roger Lallemand, an unsuccessful Flan au Fromage Blanc. At least I think it was unsuccessful - one of those rare occasions when I couldn't quite work out what the end result was meant to be from the recipe, and it wasn't clearer once I had made it. A kind of cheesecake mixture without eggs but with plenty raisins and almonds sandwiching a layer of apples and baked. Who knows but it doesn't taste bad if not great either.

v

feeling hungry and defeated after my risotto failure i made a sandwich from assorted leftovers:

pain de campagne, edamame/mint pesto and thick slice of honey/lime pork roast. This one fortunately was quite delicious.

Koning La Trappe Dubbel. Life is bearable especially since the risotto is in the garbage bin.

I did a Thai Chicken with Basil (chicken Kaprow) recipe from Hot Sour Salty Sweet - one of my favorites at Thai restaurants and this one os almost as good (or in some cases better) than I get out - at least when I use Thai basil as opposed to Italian basil which was the case tonight. Still pretty good though.

BTW< what are the policies on posting pics of dishes on MF? I've been taking pics of my dinners for a thread on another site and didn't know of that was cool here or not. And of course I always want to be one of the cool kids.

I did a Thai Chicken with Basil (chicken Kaprow) recipe from Hot Sour Salty Sweet - one of my favorites at Thai restaurants and this one os almost as good (or in some cases better) than I get out - at least when I use Thai basil as opposed to Italian basil which was the case tonight.  Still pretty good though.

BTW< what are the policies on posting pics of dishes on MF?  I've been taking pics of my dinners for a thread on another site and didn't know of that was cool here or not.  And of course I always want to be one of the cool kids.

I would love to see pictures!

bilrus - pictures, yes please.

husband made a cheese and potato pie last night. (i think this is about the third time he has cooked in a year). Even before I had got home there were 4 missed calls on my phone "I think we might have to have a take away, the pastry is all wrong and looks like shit.." But it looked and tasted wonderful, so good in fact i am having the leftovers tonight. I told him about Mr J's Culinary Rehabilitation and we have agreed that Chris will cook one night each week now, but we are not allowed to specify a particular day, too much pressure apparently. :rolleyes:

bilrus - pictures, yes please.

husband made a cheese and potatoe pie last night. (i think this is about the third time he has cooked in a year). Even before I had got home there were 4 missed calls on my phone "I think we might have to have a take away, the pastry is all wrong and looks like shit.." But it looked and tasted wonderful, so good in fact i am having the leftovers tonight. I told him about Mr J's Culinary Rehabilitation and we have agreed that Chris will cook one night each week now, but we are not allowed to specify a particular day, too much pressure apparently. :rolleyes:

I'm so looking forward to the narrative of Mr J and Mr T in the kitchen ;)

v

I think squid and octopi need to be cooked either very quickly or verrrrrrrry slowly.

If anyone has the latest McGee, I bet he addresses the cork question. If not, I can ask him. I bet it's a wives' tale.

Tana, I completely agree with you about the squid and octopi, does need one or the other although in my limited experience I haven't had to be as careful with squid as I have with Octopus.

Who has a McGee book, I think Helena does, will one of you take a look? Or Tana will you ask? I so want to know. My husband saw my pot of simmering octopi with the floating cork and made fun of me.

ample and Mrs J, I tip my hat to you. I tried the culinary rehabilitation with C and we designated a night for him to cook on... we inevitably ended up taking out on that night because he kept forgetting about it or didn't plan in time to get the ingredients. He's much happier eating than he is cooking :rolleyes:

ample and Mrs J, I tip my hat to you. I tried the culinary rehabilitation with C and we designated a night for him to cook on... we inevitably ended up taking out on that night because he kept forgetting about it or didn't plan in time to get the ingredients. He's much happier eating than he is cooking :rolleyes:

akiko - I have a feeling that this is what will happen to my Chris. esp. now as The Good Earth has reopened in West Hampstead.