A variation on "Lancashire Hot-Pot" from Bolton-le-Moors. Lamb neck chops (scrag end) with mushrooms, onions, lamb stock and oysters. Topped with sliced potatoes. Fantastic. I was dubious about the oysters (15 used in total), but these melt away to nothing and actually that act as a flavour enhancer for the lamb. I assume that this is due to the large amounts of glutamate contained in shellfish. Anyway it was lamb-tastic and I would definately do it again.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

A variation on "Lancashire Hot-Pot" from Bolton-le-Moors. Lamb neck chops (scrag end) with mushrooms, onions, lamb stock and oysters. Topped with sliced potatoes. Fantastic. I was dubious about the oysters (15 used in total), but these melt away to nothing and actually that act as a flavour enhancer for the lamb. I assume that this is due to the large amounts of glutamate contained in shellfish. Anyway it was lamb-tastic and I would definately do it again.

Anchovies are often used with lamb, I guess to similar effect. Then there's all those old meat puddings that used to contain oysters, like the Dr Johnson's pudding I came across the other day.

v

That's very evenly shredded green mango. What did you use to do it?

Japanese mandolin. Usually available at Pages, but they don't have them; however, available at the shop in Chinatown that stocks all the Thai ingredients (New Loon Moon?) -- on the north side of Gerrard St. About 20 quid.

Sorry, didn't realise there was a separate lunch thread ...

ps on shredding -- it was impressed on me at dinner in KL one night that the 'proper' way to shred a green papaya is to hold it in the left hand, hack repeatedly at it with a cleaver while turning it, then potato-peel away shreds from the sliced-into whole. This sounds scary.

Oh and, as nobody likes the lunch thread, I'm just finishing an excellent green salad: radicchio di Treviso, rocket, lamb's lettuce, watercress, frisée, chives, shallot vinaigrette.

v

I love the lunch thread! I'm just too embarrassed to post on it. :lol:

Oh and, as nobody likes the lunch thread, I'm just finishing an excellent green salad: radicchio di Treviso, rocket, lamb's lettuce, watercress, frisée, chives, shallot vinaigrette.

v

I love the lunch thread! I'm just too embarrassed to post on it. :lol:

So am I, most of the time :lol:

v