• Replies 21.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Not a good kitchen activity phase at the moment. Probably due to mental distractions. Either I don't want to cook, or I don't want to eat what I've cooked. A period when takeaways and ready meals have an attraction that has to be resisted fiercely. Prior to internet forums these phases were known to last a year or so on occasion.

Made something to go straight in the bin: besan roti ie chickpea flour roti. I have a feeling I detest besan. So, at the next wave of hunger it'll probably be toast with something. At least, unusually, I have bread, and very good bread at that: St John, bought at Neals Yard Dairy.

v

I have a feeling I detest besan.

Philistine. The Moro Cookbook has an excellent prawn fritter made with chickpea flour.

thanks for reminding me: will make this tomorrow night:

as for today my dinner shared both theme and destiny of Vanessa's: rava dosa or whatever pancakes i tried to make from semolina and yogurt ended up in garbage. Thanks god, i had a decent lunch (mother-daughter event in some good local sushi place), three spears of roasted asparagus from yesterday and a bottle of La Cuvee Mythique but this is probably a subject for another thread that Vanessa just started.

Not a good kitchen activity phase at the moment.  Probably due to mental distractions.  Either I don't want to cook, or I don't want to eat what I've cooked.  A period when takeaways and ready meals have an attraction that has to be resisted fiercely.  Prior to internet forums these phases were known to last a year or so on occasion.

Vanessa, it comforts me that I am not alone in this. I've had little desire to cook for months. It doesn't help that I live in Takeout Central, or that my husband won't eat most of what I might like to cook. He's away this weekend...maybe I'll make myself fegato alla Veneziana. :D

Thanks god, i had a decent lunch, three spears of roasted asparagus from yesterday and a bottle of La Cuvee Mythique

actually it didn't work, as several hours later i found myself back in the kitchen scouting the fridge: the only edible stuff there was two russet potatoes and dosa batter :(

But hey, i invented the dish: cut potatoes in small dice, fried in peanut oil, added some dosa batter, stir-fried until ready: perfect!

Now, how should i call it? Does Goan tortilla sound right? :D

Well, I don't know if I made it very well. I thought that the glaze created by melting the sugar and adding the soy sauce (or fish sauce) would really coat the tofu. As it was, it sort of colored the tofu a little bit brown, but that's all. It strongly flavored the onions. One thing the recipe says is to add the sauce to the melted sugar "carefully". It doesn't say why, but I can tell you: the effect of briskly pouring cold sauce into melted sugar is that the sugar rolls up into a rock hard ball of candy. You then have to spend ten minutes carefully melting it again.

Ah, it was okay, nothing more. I'd spice it up with a bit of chili. I also added some chopped crimini mushrooms with the tofu, to give another texture.

Last night I gestured at my diet by eating another helping of meatloaf, but with mesclun salad rather than spuds.

Well, I don't know if I made it very well.  I thought that the glaze created by melting the sugar and adding the soy sauce (or fish sauce) would really coat the tofu.  As it was, it sort of colored the tofu a little bit brown, but that's all.  It strongly flavored the onions.  One thing the recipe says is to add the sauce to the melted sugar "carefully".  It doesn't say why, but I can tell you:  the effect of briskly pouring cold sauce into melted sugar is that the sugar rolls up into a rock hard ball of candy.  You then have to spend ten minutes carefully melting it again.

Ah, it was okay, nothing more.  I'd spice it up with a bit of chili.  I also added some chopped crimini mushrooms with the tofu, to give another texture.

Thanks, Wilfrid.

It doesn't sound like a keeper.

clb

Soup and Sandwiches

Soup:

Chicken broth with a quail egg and slivered scallions.

Tomato water consomme with a grilled U10 shrimp and a drop of guajillo chile oil.

Panini (pressed hot sandwiches, pain de levain):

Chevre and roasted shaved fennel with arugula.

Fruilano with soprasetta.

Shredded lobster with caramelized onion and pepperoncino.

Bacon and tomato concasse.

Smoked chicken with peppers and chipotle.

Hot Italian sausage slices with pecorino and spinach.

And thick cut frites with fresh wasabi mayo.

For 30