2666825144_47e7aefe8a.jpg

2665964243_5eaec37e88.jpg

Barbacoa de pollo with avocado, radishes, romaine lettuce, salsa verde and singed avocado leaves

nopal salad, Good Mother Stallard beans, and a soupy combo of potatoes, poblano chiles and corn

fresh tortillas

Looks like summer!

Where did you get the avocado leaves?

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

I bring avocado leaves back from Mexico and dry them. I never bring back enough though. Also our local, small Mexican grocery sometimes has little packets of them, dried and very small, but they work & I buy them when I see them. The Hass or Fuerte leaves are useless.

Last night was eggs poached on a bed of cavolo nero that had been steamed/sauteed with some garlic and olive oil, pane Pugliese and cherries

Recently I made the 'summer minestrone' from the Rogers/Gray cookbook. You saute chopped red onion and celery for a bit and then add peas,fava beans and chopped green beans and asparagus (holding back half of the vegetables you have) and cook with chicken stock for a half hour. Then the balance of the vegetables go in for five minutes cooking. The soup is finished with cream, grated parmigiana and pesto and served at room temperature. Delcious but only for hard core vegetable lovers.

I am eager to try another Rogers/Gray dish--a slow-cooked dish of peas,favas and baby artichokes with bits of shredded prosciutto mixed in at the end.

I am eager to try another Rogers/Gray dish--a slow-cooked dish of peas,favas and baby artichokes with bits of shredded prosciutto mixed in at the end.

Daisy, this sounds lovely - what book is this? i have their blue and green ones but don't see the recipe you mentioned there...

Daisy, this sounds lovely - what book is this? i have their blue and green ones but don't see the recipe you mentioned there...

The first one--called The Rogers/Gray Italian Country Cookbook. I think. In the world outside the US it's The River Cafe Cookbook. Red and blue cover.

spent the weekend at my sister's "country house" and finally did some cooking this summer! Dinner was kofta, made with the little on hand (no fresh herbs, sadly): ground lamb, onion, dried parsley, zatar, chili powder and half an egg. Instead of broiling or grilling them we basically sauteed them in olive oil. To toot my horn, they were really quite wonderful. Served with homemade tomato sauce and badly cooked basmati rice and sauteed spinach with garlic.

Next morning I made cottage cheese pancakes. I do love them so.

Then we had really fantastic grilled summer corn for lunch. Sprinkled with lime, chili powder and butter and served with micheladas.

The first one--called The Rogers/Gray Italian Country Cookbook. I think. In the world outside the US it's The River Cafe Cookbook. Red and blue cover.

There is a very similar dish in, I believe, Chez Panisse Vegetables. (I can't check because my copy is lent out.)

I rubbed a chunk of Flying Pigs pork shoulder with fermented garlic,five spice,ginger,brown sugar...etc.,and braised it for a few hours in stock,white wine and a bunch of shallots.Nice and aromatic,served with seared shisitos,roasted yukes,and more Roma beans.

Hear me now and believe me when you try it: the Grazin' Angus flank steak is off the hook delicious. Quick marinated by the Mister with olive oil, soy, garlic, honey and red wine vinegar, then blasted over coals. SO tender and moist and definitely the best flank steak ever. Another pizza on the grill and tomato/cuke/ sweet onion salad. Greedily eaten by two nearly five year olds in love. :)

flank steak here as well though not as pedigreed...

A great idea, though a sloppy recipe from Aaron Sanchez: flank steak marinated in cumin/coriander/mustard seeds rub. Seared briefly, then braised in ancho/guajillo/etc sauce and then shredded.

Served over romaine leaves, with sauce and grated white cheese (manouri to be precise :ph43r: )

Still plenty of sauce leftovers - need to think over the possible reuse...

There is a very similar dish in, I believe, Chez Panisse Vegetables. (I can't check because my copy is lent out.)

I swear that I posted the recipe for la vignarola when I made it last year. Who knows? It's so good. A spring dish not to be missed. I only wish I could get nepitella here. Hmmmm, mum's coming soon, asking what I want from Rome.

Lamb burgers and celery root slaw.

Rocky

We've recently discovered the joy of celeriac remoullade too (that's the way it was presented on the restaurant menu) it had, and we follow their example, diced, pickled jalapeno chillis in it which really lifts it and goes well with burgers.