Nice! What's that on top in the top photo? Looks like chanterelles, ooh la la.

I finally went back to cooking last night, after time off for the holiday. Made some duck-wild mushroom-foie gras "sausages" with duck bits from the freezer plus mushrooms and foie left from Xmas dinner, all ground together with some roasted garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Shaped into big sausages in cheesecloth, poached in duck broth, then fried a couple for a nicer look. Served on top of mashed potatoes with sides of steamed broccoli and applesauce, and salad of course of course. Boxed Cotes du Rhone to drink.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Sounds like a lovely dinner, Susan.. No chantrelles this year, it's the year of the shitake :D

Deciding on whats for dinner.. Might make a Sicilian Style Squid dish by adding currants and things to a red sauce with wine.. Or a fish stew of some sort.. Being that I started the day with 9 dollars in my pocket,I am going to have to see what is cheap over there.

Dorade, clams, calamari.. $11 bucks..

5322402062_bef182e4bd.jpg

Put carrots, onions, celery, and fennel in a pan.. Added a half a bottle of wine, garlic, thyme, parsley, mushrooms, a little rosemary and like 1/2 cup of pureed tomatoes.. Cut the filets off the fish and threw the head and body in the broth... Then the filets, then the clams, then the calamari..

Miss k had mashed potatoes with some lamb

5321800651_eecef7de68.jpg

Really simple stew. delicious.

5322404134_e50e6ba962.jpg

My wife, in her 'I worked a 12hr overnight shift and had no sleep' daze, threw what she thought was brown rice into the rice cooker yesterday.

I ended up with vegetable fried 'barley' that was pretty comfort-food delicious.

1146057022_yZhFP-S.jpg

My wife, in her 'I worked a 12hr overnight shift and had no sleep' daze, threw what she thought was brown rice into the rice cooker yesterday.

That's how I discovered that barley cooks fine in the rice cooker!

I had yesterday off so I braised some short ribs using Thomas Keller's recipe. He puts cheesecloth over the vegetables and lays the meat on top of the cheesecloth so you get the flavor of the vegetables but not the little bits of them clinging to the meat. It worked really well and I plan to adopt that method for other braised meats. I served the short ribs with polenta, also using his recipe, and some spinach.

Inspired by the history, simplicity, ease of ingredient access and beauty of the dish shown and described in the Asado Negro piece/recipe Sifton produced a couple weeks, I decided, for NYR’s to give it a whirl.

For sides I made mashed potatoes w/garlic and sage, baby spinach spicy sopressata and roasted brussel sprouts tossed in olive oil, dry chilis, basil, oregano and a drizzle of balsamic glaze once at room temp. My wife made 2 versions of her famous cup cake brownies, a batch with nutella and one with peanut butter. Breyer’s Choc Chip Mint and Peanut Butter Cup were toppig options and complimented quite nicely.

We invited a couple of friends whose 2 yr old daughter is best friends with ours. Watching them play is a magical experience to say the least. Anyway, everything (the food) turned out very good except the Asado. It was a little tough. I know what I did wrong and felt quite stupid after realizing it.

Since I couldn’t find a roast from 4-5lbs I obtained 2 at almost 3lbs each. I thought since they were smaller they’d require less time to braise which I confused with roasting. (I admit my experience with braising is limited. For the most part I sautée, grill, bake and roast). So instead of 2.5hrs as indicated in the recipe I pulled them after 1.5, took a temp which read 160F and concluded they were done. In fact I thought overdone.

The sauce and mirepoix of leek, onion, garlic, pepper was delicious but not enough to mask the toughness. No one was as critical as I. All consumed a healthy portion but I knew the dish fell well short of its potential. I couldn’t wait to experiement with the leftovers.

I did so the next day, simmering covered for 2 hours with some extra wine and water. I can happily say it was one of the best dishes I’ve ever produced. The meat falling apart with a fork in it's sweet acidic rich sauce. I can’t wait to try it again.

We often make pizza using leftovers, things you wouldn't normally put on a pizza (and so we respectfully insist on calling them simply 'pies'). I had some fabulous braised red cabbage leftover from Christmas dinner, good'n'porky from some really swell bacon. I thought it would make a fine base for pie, and I added rounds of roasted Delicata squash and lots of crumbled chevre. It was so good, I'd consider making more braised cabbage specifically for use on a pie. Highly recommended.

[shameless]I can't wait for you to try it again either, if you catch my drift.[/shameless]

A practice run was necessary before facing such discerning palettes. Frwd your availability and I’ll build a meal around it.

Btw, the dish went incredibly well with a Dolcetto D’Alba, La Ganghija 07 (or 08?). The hi alcohol content (14%) balanced and brought out wonderful flavors in the beef unlike what I expected. I believe you would like it very much.

Snapper:

why are his eyes so red?

5325866520_b0ceb9774b_z.jpg

Added the other half a bottle of wine.. added some bok choy. fish head and body went back into the sauce pot.. will make pasta tomorrow night.

5325963860_ee06ae7508.jpg

Yucca and grilled calamari salad, red onion, a ton of garlic, vinegar, little lime.

5325267469_bff4268d20.jpg

/

Fried the yucca and served with the snapper:

5325267481_33a2c4d7eb.jpgG

Garlic, oil, paprika.. head on shrimp from chinatown

5325921518_2457b8b240.jpg

Miss K made her own dessert

5325920568_284db200f1.jpg

Daniel - do you do any of your shopping in Clinton Hill? I live in Fort Greene and don't really like any of the options in the neighborhood that much, although I never go to Choice and I haven't tried the new fancy meat place at Fulton and Washington.

Not really.. Outside of smoked turkey necks, wings, or ham hocks, I keep my meat buying to Paesanos over on Smith St.. A few stops on the g from Fort Greene.. What's worse is the choices for fish in the area.. i have tried to buy some basic things at the Pioneer and have had rotten fish the both times I tried. Also that place Fish Tales is such a rip off, which is around the corner from Paeasanos.. I buy fish in Elizabeth NJ, Chinatown either on Grand or Baxter, or at this supermarket in Elmhurst which, is right by Taste Good and the G train..