• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Not really.. Outside of smoked turkey necks, wings, or ham hocks, I keep my meat buying to Paesanos over on Smith St.. A few stops on the g from Fort Greene.. What's worse is the choices for fish in the area.. i have tried to buy some basic things at the Pioneer and have had rotten fish the both times I tried. Also that place Fish Tales is such a rip off, which is around the corner from Paeasanos.. I buy fish in Elizabeth NJ, Chinatown either on Grand or Baxter, or at this supermarket in Elmhurst which, is right by Taste Good and the G train..

I thought as much, but I thought there might be something I didn't know about closer to you. FWIW I've bought decent fish at Greene Grape Provisions, but it's insanely overpriced.

I have been cooking a lot lately, recipe testing for some articles.

Pork Ragout (cooked with pork butt and chianti)

5332397128_16b7c81408.jpg

P1040418 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Hot & Sour soup. Made with pork stock, green onions, shitake mushrooms, prawns and glass noodles. Plus a broth flavoured with lemongrass, ginger, garlic, lime juice & zest, Filipino fish sauce, brown sugar and two fiery chillies

5331782777_3a06f981ce.jpg

P1030396 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Methi Chicken. Chicken thighs cooked with yoghurt, spices and fenugreek leaves.

5331751057_0580ea649a.jpg

P1060453 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Here's the recipe for the Methi Chicken

It is, I believe, a Hyderabadi dish, which I have played around with a bit over the last few years. Adding yoghurt in two stages works well, the first to help create the gravy, the second to give the final result a bit of a tang.

Anyway, hope you enjoy and let me know if you try it.

Slapsie

5331751057_0580ea649a.jpg

P1060453 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

METHI CHICKEN (Chicken cooked in Yoghurt, Spices and Fenugreek Leaves)

INGREDIENTS

Bone in Chicken Thighs (Allow 2 per person)

1 Cup Whole Milk Yoghurt

1 large White Onion (Sliced)

3 Cloves Garlic

3 Green Chillies

2 Inches of Ginger

1 Cup Fenugreek Leaves ( I used dried, which are easier for me to find in my local Indian store)

WHOLE SPICES

3 Cardamom pods

1 Stick Cinnamon

½ Tsp Nigella Seed

½ Tsp Fennel Seed

GROUND SPICES

1 Tsp Ground Turmeric

1 Tsp Chilli Powder

½ Tsp Ground Mustard Seed (or mustard powder)

¼ Tsp Ground Clove

1 Tsp Ground Cumin

1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon

1 Tsp Ground Fenugreek.

1 Tsp Salt

1 Tsp Sugar

METHOD

Remove the skin from the chicken thighs. (I always keep these to make chicken crackling to eat while cooking)

Blend the ginger/Garlic and Chilli into a fine paste with a little water and salt.

Heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a deep-sided pan and add the whole spices.

When they begin to sizzle and pop add the onions and cook slowly until they are coloured, making sure they do not burn.

Add the ginger/garlic/chilli paste and cook for a further three to four minutes until it loses its raw smell.

Add the ground spices and combine well.

Turn the heat down and cook the mixture until the spices begin to release their oils. If the mixture begins to catch, add a few drops of water.

Once the spices are cooked, remove the pan from the heat and blend in half the yoghurt.

Return to the stove and cook over a low heat until the yoghurt is combined.

Add the fenugreek leaves and combine well with the mixture.

Add the chicken thighs and coat with the mixture.

Cover the pan and cook on a gentle heat for twenty five minutes, turning the chicken thighs once.

After twenty five minutes, the thighs should be cooked and the dish should have created a great deal of its own sauce.

Remove the chicken thighs and keep warm.

Reduce the sauce until it is almost dry.

Combine 2 tablespoons of the remaining sauce with the remaining yoghurt and incorporate well. Add it back to the sauce, cook for a further two minutes and return the chicken thighs to the pan.

Serve making sure that each chicken thigh has a liberal coating of the sauce.

More cooking this weekend.

This time, I cooked some Baby backs with an Applejack (happened to have some around) and honey glaze.

5344673440_a8b372e96f.jpg

P1080456 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

5344674656_ff36d75307_z.jpg

P1080459 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

5344065427_9d37226ba8_z.jpg

P1080461 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Sybil rather liked them and we managed to polish off a couple of slabs for lunch with a few left over for supper.

BTW - I think it was someone on here who rec'd the Olympus EPL-1 which I just treated myself to. loving the results so far

Slapsie

Carne Asada tacos last night (we actually grilled while it was snowing!). Tonight we're having posole which I made yesterday - using RG Posole of course.

Getting ready for another jaunt s.o.t.b.?

Nothing on the books but a girl can dream!