Last night In a rare occurrence I got home from work before Blovie which meant I had to make dinner - roasted brook trout stuffed with caramelized onions and preserved lemon with a salad of wheat berries, wild rice, and butternut squash on the side (this was leftover from the weekend).

Tonight all's right with the world - Blovie made a Thai chicken curry served on a bed of basmati.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Was feeling like a cold might be starting, so something spicy and gloppy and mostly made from elements in the freezer: Shredded chicken and roasted corn kernels in orange-chipotle sauce, over brown rice.

Salad, oregano vinaigrette.

Goose Island Honker's Ale.

Yesterday I went to Chang Li, a Chinese supermarket in Castle Hill (my savior along with Fairway in Pelham). I picked up some dover sole, bay scallops, baby bok choy, thai eggplant, coconut milk, numerous condiments and a few other hard to come by things. I love this place. They sell all types of offal, fish and at least a hundred varieties of fruits and vegetables.

Anyway, I didn’t feel like frying so I baked the sole with a panko crust and finished it with a muscat lemon caper cilantro sc. For sides I marinated the bay scallops in lemon juice, soy, honey, fresh ginger, fish sauce and garlic and sautéed them in sesame oil. I boiled the carrots in water with butter and a creole seasoning and blanched the bok choy followed by a minute in the wok with hoysin and toasted sesame seeds. Everything came out pretty good.

5362414850_622833995b.jpg

Was feeling like a cold might be starting, so something spicy and gloppy and mostly made from elements in the freezer: Shredded chicken and roasted corn kernels in orange-chipotle sauce, over brown rice.

Salad, oregano vinaigrette.

Goose Island Honker's Ale.

Guess who's been dealing with a cold/cough/sore throat and possible bronchitis for the past 2 weeks.

Been on a (mostly) liquid diet for the past week with occasional infusions of Indian food (dal/rice/raita; rasam; spiced greens with chickpeas) and katsu curry.

Blech.

I had some girlfriends over for dinner on Friday. It was a potluck with everyone bringing a different course. I took the main and did Devils Chicken Thighs from Sunday Suppers at Lucques. I served it with a rice pilaf that I love, made with rye flakes.

Last night I made a clean out the refrigerator pasta carbonara - to use up some artichoke hearts that I had leftover from an antipasti platter that I'd done.

I was thinking about another Bo-Ssam ala Ssam Bar for awhile so I picked up a 6lb pork shoulder from Fairway. It was $10.83. I include the price because I’m always amazed at the return. I followed the recipe for the most part which is one of the simplest:

First I cured it overnight with equal parts course salt and sugar (1/2 cup of each):

5368086674_fb872790a8.jpg

After 4hrs at 300F:

5368086770_be9c23b563_z.jpg

After slicing and pulling it yielded a healthy platter:

5365221935_c8079a41de_z.jpg

For condiments I sliced/diced carrots, celery, cilantro, scallions, ginger and pickled them in rice and white wine vinegars, water, sugar and salt for a few hrs.

For a sauce I used hoysin and cut it with a bit of rice vinegar, water and sriracha (I forgot to purchase the miso paste and kimchi Chang uses).

For a base, white rice on Romaine (they didn’t have Bibb) and here’s what we ended up with:

5367388237_414b933655.jpg

I’ve done a few of these but this was by far the best (even w/out the oysters):