More recipes for the weekly article

Red Snapper ceviche flour tortilla with hot salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

5385899247_f50876967c.jpg

P1240594 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

I wouldnt think to put sour cream with a limey fish. What are you thoughts on the dish?

I make this ceviche which after soaking the fish in lime juice, I like to add a ton of horseraddish and garlic, more lime juice, razor thin slices of red onion, cilantro, and then a shot of cream.. No other pepper but, there is a lot of spice coming from the garlic and raddish. But there is an example of adding cream to fish and it coming out well..

I am just curious about your thoughts about the sour cream.

Daniel -- now you've got me curious about your version: you add cream to a ceviche? Doesn't it curdle from the acid of the lime juice, making it sort of a sour cream equivalent? Or do you reduce the cream before adding it? I've just never heard of adding cream at that point (or actually at any point).

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

More recipes for the weekly article

Red Snapper ceviche flour tortilla with hot salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

5385899247_f50876967c.jpg

P1240594 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

I wouldnt think to put sour cream with a limey fish. What are you thoughts on the dish?

I make this ceviche which after soaking the fish in lime juice, I like to add a ton of horseraddish and garlic, more lime juice, razor thin slices of red onion, cilantro, and then a shot of cream.. No other pepper but, there is a lot of spice coming from the garlic and raddish. But there is an example of adding cream to fish and it coming out well..

I am just curious about your thoughts about the sour cream.

Daniel -- now you've got me curious about your version: you add cream to a ceviche? Doesn't it curdle from the acid of the lime juice, making it sort of a sour cream equivalent? Or do you reduce the cream before adding it? I've just never heard of adding cream at that point (or actually at any point).

I use to live next to one of Douglas Rodriguez's restaurants several years ago.. I would sit at the bar several times a week.. I pretty much made my way through the menu.. One of my favorite things he made was this ceviche and there was just a touch of cream in it.. And since then, whenever I make certain ceviches, especially blue fish, I add just a little bit of cream.

There is no curdling that occurs.. But, I think the important thing to rememeber is, you add the cream after the fish has been soaked in lime juice.. Now you are just making a sauce to further flavor the fish..

We just got back from a four night birthday celebration where we rented a cabin on Whidbey Island with some fellow MFF'ers. Some great food was served:

Night 1: Steamed crab, artichoke hearts, homemade mayo, caesar salad and baguettes.

Night 2: Choucroute garnie, pretzel rolls, green salad.

Night 3: Tamales (made as a group using Rick Bayless' red chile pork tamale recipe), RG refried pinto beans and green salad. None of us had ever made tamales before and they were great. I think they were the best I've ever eaten.

Night 4: Savory bread pudding made with leftover bread, cheese, egg, etc. Leftover salami's and cheeses and other little bits.

The leftover crab shells went into a base for a crab bisque, which we had for lunch one day.

I'm having the leftover choucroute and sausages for dinner tonight.

It was a weekend filled with fabulous food.

We just got back from a four night birthday celebration where we rented a cabin on Whidbey Island with some fellow MFF'ers. Some great food was served:

Night 1: Steamed crab, artichoke hearts, homemade mayo, caesar salad and baguettes.

Night 2: Choucroute garnie, pretzel rolls, green salad.

Night 3: Tamales (made as a group using Rick Bayless' red chile pork tamale recipe), RG refried pinto beans and green salad. None of us had ever made tamales before and they were great. I think they were the best I've ever eaten.

Night 4: Savory bread pudding made with leftover bread, cheese, egg, etc. Leftover salami's and cheeses and other little bits.

The leftover crab shells went into a base for a crab bisque, which we had for lunch one day.

I'm having the leftover choucroute and sausages for dinner tonight.

It was a weekend filled with fabulous food.

I'll say! You have good friends.

Tried curing my own bacon this week, adapted from Michael Ruhlman's recipe.

I cured in a mix of curing salt, brown sugar, juniper berries and lemon zest for 6 days, turning once every day.

5401914704_08591e2221_z.jpg

P1240588 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Rinsed off the cure and patted dry. Cooked at 200o until the internal temp comes to 150o

5401915718_8e7c5236d8_z.jpg

P1300649 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Sliced (might need to buy a slicer to do this again) and fried

5401316761_14333d7227_z.jpg

P1300659 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Fashioned a rudimentary butty

5401317807_25c0b36c1d_z.jpg

P1300665 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

It received spousal approval, so I shall definitely make it again

Slapsie

I must be a glutton for punishment, trying to follow homemade bacon with a meatless dinner. But it was really, really good:

Rancho Gordo cannellini beans (new batch; cooked in 20 minutes! :blink: ) stewed with mirepoix, diced canned and semidried tomatoes, lots of rosemary and a pinch of hot pepper flakes

Topped with a slice of fried goat halloumi

Topped that with a couple of eggs fried in olive oil. Garnished with parsley.

Served with salad with oregano vinaigrette.

Blue and Yellow boxed malbec (the same they serve at Terroir, so there!)

Two recent suppers -- I bought some wonderful short ribs cut thinly across the grain in an Argentinean or possibly Korean cut

from Jack O'Shea (himself) at Selfridges. He also had a load of offal on display including brains, hearts tongues and unusually testicles. Maybe next week.

Grilled them quite slowly until medium well done, as they were very marbled; chimichurri sauce and some plain boiled potatoes and a rather overdone 2005 CNDP -- Pegau Reserve. I loved the meat -- they were just chewy enough that you could tell you weren't eating steak and just fatty enough that you needed the sauce to cut through it, and just a great flavour.

Last night spaghetti with a courgette (zucchini sauce) -- anchovies garlic chilli and capers, a few cherry tomatoes, lots of EVOO

and a big salad. Some Guffens Heynens Pouilly Fuisse.

After a few months of being bored with cooking or not having enough time, or being away from home, it's nice to start getting back in the kitchen.

I've probably mentioned this before but I'm teaching my friends 14 year old twins to cook with the hopes that they start eating things other than chicken nuggets. My logic is to have them pick their favorite foods, then we make it from scratch. This time they chose Mexican. We did tacos, enchiladas, refried beans made with RG pintos and a salad. Their Mom browned some ground beef and added seasoning and shredded some chicken breasts (I think she was afraid they wouldn't eat the meat I brought). I brought carnitas and chicharrones. We toasted, soaked and whizzed up the chiles for the sauce. Whizzed up the cooked beans and fried it with lard - you can't imagine the looks on their faces during this process! We made guacamole. It was quite fun but a little disconcerting to learn that they had never had, or even seen, home made tortilla chips, mexican cheese, carnitas, etc. I was happy that they preferred the enchiladas made with pork over everything else!

Truffled egg custard with caviar and marsala whipped cream.

Pumpkin soup with foie gras mousse sandwiched between two peanut butter cookies.

Osso bucco

Foie gras and poached pears.

Cold weather heaven;Mustard braised rabbit .[the 2 day routine of salting and thyming the cuts,making stock with the extra bones]fennel and potato gratin.Valpolicella to drink...Hibernation food,and another tip of the hat to Fazio Farms.His chickens are really good too,and fairly priced.